The changing face of Bristol

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Evening all,

hope the attached picture is appropriate to this thread (  - Mods, if not, apologies and please feel free to move it elsewhere):  I hoped it might be of interest as one of the more exotic liveries I ever saw at BTM.  The occasion was the Saturday of the early May bank holiday in 1984: I wonder whether anybody on here might be able to shed any light on why a Strathclyde-liveried '101 would be at Bristol, please?  Recently outshopped fm Swindon, perhaps? - It certainly looked pretty shiny at the time  ( - or was it a common occurrence and I just didn't notice?!!!)

Kind Regards,

Paul

post-10582-0-65801000-1422916893_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• 2 months later...

Two of the four lift shafts of the postal conveyor bridge at Temple Meads have now been demolished. The one on P1/3 went over the Easter weekend; P5/7 had gone a week or two earlier, and work on demolishing the one on P9/11 is well under way.

And what a difference it makes.

It does make a difference admittedly, but somehow it will not be Temple Meads without the conveyor and Parcel Force building.

And what is more, I gather the plans have finally been approved for the 12000 seat Arena on the Bath Road site.

R.I.P. Temple Meads as I always used to know it.

post-4474-0-31842400-1428503436_thumb.jpg

post-4474-0-85722000-1428503715_thumb.jpg

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 8

Evening all,

hope the attached picture is appropriate to this thread (  - Mods, if not, apologies and please feel free to move it elsewhere):  I hoped it might be of interest as one of the more exotic liveries I ever saw at BTM.  The occasion was the Saturday of the early May bank holiday in 1984: I wonder whether anybody on here might be able to shed any light on why a Strathclyde-liveried '101 would be at Bristol, please?  Recently outshopped fm Swindon, perhaps? - It certainly looked pretty shiny at the time  ( - or was it a common occurrence and I just didn't notice?!!!)

Kind Regards,

Paul

I have never seen a Strathclyde liveried unit in Bristol, and even if I said that I had, no one would have believed me due to all the cider that I consume.

Even the front unit looks a little unusual, maybe a pair of 116 driving cars with a 101 composite trailer between them.

Could this have been a charter of some kind?

(Although heaven help those on a 101 mystery trip for 350 miles only to be turfed out at Weston Super Mare station).

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

R.I.P. Temple Meads as I always used to know it.

But when you think about what's around the corner for Temple Meads, it's virtually all good stuff. Work starts later this year on a complete refurbishment of the main curved trainshed, for example, which will be done to 'Paddington' standards when it's finished, complete re-paint, all new glazing etc.

• Like 13

But when you think about what's around the corner for Temple Meads, it's virtually all good stuff. Work starts later this year on a complete refurbishment of the main curved trainshed, for example, which will be done to 'Paddington' standards when it's finished, complete re-paint, all new glazing etc.

Lets not forget bringing the old train shed back into use, fixing the small and congested entrance area & ticket barriers, and hopefully doing something about the underpass. And the toilets....

• Like 3

When travelling to the Cheltenham exhibition at the weekend I changed trains at Bristol

and had time to take a few photos.

Here is the current scene at the east end, with fencing surrounding the work sites

post-7081-0-58766900-1428959098.jpg

The east end of Bristol Temple Meads with the Post Office bridge removed 12/4/2015

And where there is a hole I am always tempted to have a look in

post-7081-0-27762900-1428959137.jpg

The base of one of the postal bridge towers looking down to the subway, 12/4/2015

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 8

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Does anyone know of photos of Bamberger's timber yard on Cumberland Rd & Baltic Wharf?

There are a couple in Jem Southam's 1983 book on The Floating Harbour but I could do with some close ups for a modelling project. It was a classic industrial location I recall before it was all demolished for flats.....

Dava

Edited by Dava

• RMweb Premium

Looks like I've answered my own question about the Baltic Wharf timber yards in Bristol, here with a visit to Paul Townsend's 'brizzle born & bred' Flickr album on the docks.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebornandbred/

These are marked as being on a Creative Commons licence so I'm assuming they are good to share. It would be interesting to know who the original photographers were.

First a wonderful aerial view from 1929 of the Underfall yard, Baltic wharf & more, showing timber yards under the ownership of May & Hassell.

post-14654-0-88440600-1438647124_thumb.jpg

Next a view from across the harbour of Taylor & Low Brothers on Canada Wharf

post-14654-0-36025500-1438647147_thumb.jpg

Which tell us that there were multiple timber merchants, and the proprietorship changed from time to time...I dont know when Bamberger's came in on this site.

These tell me what I need to know for now about the timber wharfs and yards, but are both fascinating photos of the docks in their inter-war period.

Dava

Edited by Dava
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic shots Dava - my house is just off the top of the first one.

I love the way the harbour railway snakes over the entrance locks to Cumberland basin. I don't think anything of that exists on the ground anymore.

Marcus.

Yes that is actually the GW line to Canons Marsh goods station, serving other industries along the way. I recall the swing bridge site was a Naval Cadets base last time I was there, a few years back. The dock railway system was fascinating in its own right.

Dava

Another bit of Bristol railway history about to disappear. Avonmouth Station building today.

post-15-0-90729400-1439242955_thumb.jpg

Probably all be gone by my next trip on Thursday.

Edited by JZ
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Another bit of Bristol railway history about to disappear. Avonmouth Station building today.

attachicon.gifAvonmouth.jpg

Probably all be gone by my next trip on Thursday.

Sadly the building was past all economic redemption, it was in a very poor structural state and there was little option other than to take it down.