Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Rob, I think that is one of the best images you've posted on here. Quite superb. A great angle on the engine and the loco is magnificent. Even if it is a Southern beast!! Lol.

Love it - more please!

Jeff

you mean this celebration of the high speed last runs on the ex-LSWR line in 1966 past Farnborough, Fleet and non-stop through Basingstoke?

Don't worry about this foreign southern stuff, I have a medium-weathered Jubilee and Patriot lined-up now. The last days of fast steam expresses were neverheless quite sad, and beautiful, on the Waterloo-to-the-West LSWR line.  As were the last steam days in the Midlands. Not that such working conditions would be tolerated nowadays. In 1966 an engine like this eceeded 100 mph near Salisbury.

Back to mossy banks now Jeff.

post-7929-0-06695100-1370752126.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning Rob.

Your MN is clearly the same vintage as mine. The photo makes you appreciate the level of detail - and the radical advancement that Hornby's "super detail" brought to the UK market.

Alas, the limitations of the "Design Clever" philosophy may well be taking us back into the Dark Ages. It'll be interesting to see how future models compare to the current level of sophistication on locos such as the Britannias.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Enough walling for today - about 2 hours.

post-13778-0-17052000-1370791953_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-04994700-1370791957_thumb.jpg

To give a sense of scale, the wall is about 5' to the "coping" layer, the coping varying, but typically 6" - 1'.

Jeff

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

So what length have you achieved today then? It is looking grand by the way!

Andy G

Hi Andy. Managed about 35cm. I could do half as much again in the same time if the walling was on the level. Bit fiddly doing the walling on a slope - trying to keep a lot of the stones approximately horizontal is a bit of a pain!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Did you lay them directly on the surface, or dig a little level bit into the plaster top to make it easier for them to sit there? 13-14" isn't a bad length to have made in the time.

The results are really effective.

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Did you lay them directly on the surface, or dig a little level bit into the plaster top to make it easier for them to sit there? 13-14" isn't a bad length to have made in the time.

The results are really effective.

Andy G

Cheers Andy. You certainly know how to encourage me!!

I laid them directly onto the plaster surface - I'd already created a slightly flattened area on the plaster when I first plastered the surface. Hadn't thought about a mini-trench - good idea, I'll try that tomorrow.

I've just been into the bunker to have another look. As you will know yourself, when you work close up to something for a while you lose a sense of whether it's half-decent or not. I'm pleased with the result - should look nice with a light coloured grey-brown wash and some vegetation around it!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

It wasn't meant in a negative way, but to make 14" of dry stone wall in two hours by laying each individual stone, over undulating ground, is very good progress! The result is beautiful and looks just right, and is properly individual, as no two bits will ever be the same....

I spent 2 hours filing four cabside bits of plasticard, and I think you are further on!

I've just bought some watchmakers loupes, so in future I'll be able to see some of the detail in things!

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

It wasn't meant in a negative way, but to make 14" of dry stone wall in two hours by laying each individual stone, over undulating ground, is very good progress! The result is beautiful and looks just right, and is properly individual, as no two bits will ever be the same....

I spent 2 hours filing four cabside bits of plasticard, and I think you are further on!

I've just bought some watchmakers loupes, so in future I'll be able to see some of the detail in things!

Andy G

Oh - don't think I took it as negative - I am grateful for your compliments and suggestions. Keep 'em coming - they are really appreciated!

Do you ever wonder if we are ever a bit crazy? I mean, what right-minded person would spend 2 hours of their life laying bits of clay or filing plastikard? We must be slightly nuts - but, hopefully, patience is rewarded!

I hope you caught a glimmer of sun today. The cloud broke by lunchtime today and I felt guilty working in the bunker with all the sunshine. Then again - are you in the signalbox at the mo?

Keep up your input.... honestly, you really DO encourage me with all the positivity!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I would like to describe it as excentricity... I honestly think I was born about 50-60 years too late, I would have really made something of either railwaying of telephoning then (and it would be using technology I understood!).

Glimpse of the sun, Ha! chance would have been nice, although we had a bit of a surprise when this http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/theaircraft/dakota947.cfm

came in very low and circled. Sadly I didn't quite get to my camera in time! She was very low, I would say 200ft max, I could almost see the whites of the pilots eyes!

Yeap in the box again, late turn until thursday 1800hrs then early turn from friday 0600hrs. What fun!

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

I will try and get this section of walling complete to the backscene tomorrow - and I may even put down an "earth" sprinkling of vegetation on top of the brown paint. We'll see. Building a real wall tomorrow and, weather allowing, a patio later in the week.

I'm going off for a kip now. I tend to get up very early these days - 4.45 this morning. If I wake up I'll look in later. Any progress tomorrow will be accompanied by the usual pics - keeps people (especially Chip) happy.

No doubt the Baron will be along before the night is out.

Andy - remember.... progress may be slow, but we ARE both making progress!!

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Oh - don't think I took it as negative - I am grateful for your compliments and suggestions. Keep 'em coming - they are really appreciated!

Do you ever wonder if we are ever a bit crazy? I mean, what right-minded person would spend 2 hours of their life laying bits of clay or filing plastikard? We must be slightly nuts - but, hopefully, patience is rewarded!

I hope you caught a glimmer of sun today. The cloud broke by lunchtime today and I felt guilty working in the bunker with all the sunshine. Then again - are you in the signalbox at the mo?

Keep up your input.... honestly, you really DO encourage me with all the positivity!

Jeff

Jeff,

How long do other people take over their creativity.  My mother-in-law spent months cross stitching a picture and no one thought anything of it, and how long did Monet take over his pictures?  The only difference being if he had put them on certain parts of RMWeb he would have been told all his colours were wrong and that his pictures were too fuzzy!  :derisive:

Walls are looking good  If you don't glue them they should last 150 scale years, but not sure how long that is but I'm sure we could work it out. (If s= ut + 1/2at2 then if 1ft = 4mm then ................)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think the real problem with modelling is that you actually have so much to do, in so many different areas. I am building three HR castles from plasticard at the minute, I aslo have a HR terrier on the go, and a HR scrap tank started, plus two HR bankers, Hr small ben not started and a Clay 0-4-4T with the chassis started. Then I have a stack of triang CR coaches to convert to other CR types, LNWR arc roofed stock half built (need repainting x4 off), midland celerestories (x3 off) and a lot list of 15-20 other that need scratchbuilding. Wagons are worse! I have 6-12 HR double deck sheep wagons partly made (needing underframe to be sourced), a dozen HR opens to be made, and then there are many cattle wagons required (mainly from scratch).

That is just the list of moving stuff, I have started making the Trummel bridge (out of plastic strip a la Ron Hegg) and I am still miles away from finishing my diaroma (i haven't tuoched that for months) and I strill won't have anywhere to run any of this stuff. That will involve lots of scenic stuff which I don't have much confidence in doing.

I can't wait for retirement, when, hopefully I'll be able to get on with some of this stuff!

How many other hobbies combine working in metal, wood, plastic and fake grass? They are not proper hobbies are they!

Andy G

• Like 1

I will try and get this section of walling complete to the backscene tomorrow - and I may even put down an "earth" sprinkling of vegetation on top of the brown paint. We'll see. Building a real wall tomorrow and, weather allowing, a patio later in the week.

I'm going off for a kip now. I tend to get up very early these days - 4.45 this morning. If I wake up I'll look in later. Any progress tomorrow will be accompanied by the usual pics - keeps people (especially Chip) happy.

No doubt the Baron will be along before the night is out.

Andy - remember.... progress may be slow, but we ARE both making progress!!

Cheers,

Jeff

Jeff

The wall looks absolutely superb. Well worth the effort. :sungum:  :locomotive:

I'm a bit worried that Bodgit may take the word vegetation as g***s :jester:

Duncan

• RMweb Gold

I've just been catching up with this thread, and really like the method of walling. I'm looking forward to see it snaking across the fellside. How much taper are you putting on the walls? Those out in the wild can easily be twice as thick at the base as the top. Closer to habitation they often get straighter (and mortared, like as not).

Keep stacking the rocks together...

Dave

• RMweb Premium

I've just been catching up with this thread, and really like the method of walling. I'm looking forward to see it snaking across the fellside. How much taper are you putting on the walls? Those out in the wild can easily be twice as thick at the base as the top. Closer to habitation they often get straighter (and mortared, like as not).

Keep stacking the rocks together...

Dave

Blimey, I dozed off for an hour and there's been a hive of activity on here!

Dave, the method isn't mine - it was described in the February 2013 RM and I've just copied it. There are a lot of variables with the wall building - and it takes long enough in its simplified form! So there's no taper - the walls are a consistent thickness from bottom to top. Not quite prototypical, but it takes away at least one complication.

I've just realised that I'll have to "build in" some wall degradation in places - dips in the walling and bits lying nearby on the ground!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

The wall looks absolutely superb. Well worth the effort. :sungum:  :locomotive:

I'm a bit worried that Bodgit may take the word vegetation as g***s :jester:

Duncan

Excellent stone walling Jeff. Looks really good in situ.

I imagine you know about the Dry Stone Walling Association....http://www.dswa.org.uk

Cheers Duncan and Peter.

I deliberately used the word "vegetation" so Andy wouldn't get too excited. I use a mix of Woodland Scenics Earth Blend fine turf and Green Blend fine turf as a base. It'll suffice until I stock up with some scrubby materials and a few clumps of weeds etc.

Jeff

• Like 1

Morning Rob.

Your MN is clearly the same vintage as mine. The photo makes you appreciate the level of detail - and the radical advancement that Hornby's "super detail" brought to the UK market.

Alas, the limitations of the "Design Clever" philosophy may well be taking us back into the Dark Ages. It'll be interesting to see how future models compare to the current level of sophistication on locos such as the Britannias.

Jeff

The stone walls and the land profiles are looking marvellous, I would love to use a bit of household exterior acrylic dull dark green on the hills... that's what I used on my defunct pre-earthquake 9' x 4' layout in Christchurch. Then of course mosses and grasses and bare bits. Of course others apply colours in a different order.

As to the design clever thing, I'm sure the high standards of recent years will be retained eventually after Hornby's and other's manufacturing issues are resolved entenched at a higher price, typically £200 for a top detail complex model in a few years, or more with sound and other enhancements.

The NZ dollar has dropped a bit this last weekend so my excessive purchases of the last month will abate. I want to drive my car this week to see a bit of the real world too!

Weathered Jubilee at speed today, cool winter day with faint sun.

Rob

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Premium

Andy - you've summed things up nicely in that last post. Here I am working in one corner of the layout.... If I think about it I'll worry that I'll never finish. However, what's a few hours on walling compared to the time spent building the viaduct and bridges. And at the end of the day I can always say "sod it" and run a few locos!!

Chris - cheers for the perspective. And I agree with the Monet comparison. Rob gets "grief" over some of his pictures - which are splendid. Monet would probably end up in the bin. and btw, have you been studying a bit of Physics.... constant acceleration equations? I'm impressed!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

The stone walls and the land profiles are looking marvellous, I would love to use a bit of household exterior acrylic dull dark green on the hills... that's what I used on my defunct pre-earthquake 9' x 4' layout in Christchurch. Then of course mosses and grasses and bare bits. Of course others apply colours in a different order.

As to the design clever thing, I'm sure the high standards of recent years will be retained eventually after Hornby's and other's manufacturing issues are resolved entenched at a higher price, typically £200 for a top detail complex model in a few years, or more with sound and other enhancements.

The NZ dollar has dropped a bit this last weekend so my excessive purchases of the last month will abate. I want to drive my car this week to see a bit of the real world too!

Weathered Jubilee at speed today, cool winter day with faint sun.

Rob

You are probably right about this. In many ways I hope so as I'd prefer to buy fewer top notch models than a plethora of mediocrity (well, I wouldn't buy ANY - so the company would have to rethink - I'm sure many others would do the same).

I'm getting a 9F heavily weathered at TMC at the mo. Will be interesting to see how it compares with the new weathered Bachmann 9F I have on order (I know the answer already).

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Andy - you've summed things up nicely in that last post. Here I am working in one corner of the layout.... If I think about it I'll worry that I'll never finish. However, what's a few hours on walling compared to the time spent building the viaduct and bridges. And at the end of the day I can always say "sod it" and run a few locos!!

Chris - cheers for the perspective. And I agree with the Monet comparison. Rob gets "grief" over some of his pictures - which are splendid. Monet would probably end up in the bin. and btw, have you been studying a bit of Physics.... constant acceleration equations? I'm impressed!

Jeff

Jeff,

I just about remember all the constant acceleration equations and the decay equation and not much else.  The acceleration equations as they were drummed into me a 'O' level and the decay equation as I use it regularly at work.  If I need to work out scale time them I may have to transfer into Hilbert Space.