Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Hi Jeff, Rain and a few bits of Sun here in South Derbyshire at the moment,

As for the weathering, well if it runs well then that is the most important thing, you can always add to the weathering at a latter date. AND I MEAN YOU. As you gain confidence you will find that a little powder for example just under the cab or somewhere that can be removed if you mess it up will build confidence and soon you will WANT to do a whole Loco.

Bodgit

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, Rain and a few bits of Sun here in South Derbyshire at the moment,

As for the weathering, well if it runs well then that is the most important thing, you can always add to the weathering at a latter date. AND I MEAN YOU. As you gain confidence you will find that a little powder for example just under the cab or somewhere that can be removed if you mess it up will build confidence and soon you will WANT to do a whole Loco.

Bodgit

You are probably right. I will read your article and I notice the current BRM has a similar feature. It must be the fashion - a few years ago not many people bothered.

I'm currently sat looking through a book of photos of steam locos on the S&C.

Jeff

You are probably right. I will read your article and I notice the current BRM has a similar feature. It must be the fashion - a few years ago not many people bothered.

I'm currently sat looking through a book of photos of steam locos on the S&C.

Jeff

I need to find a pic of a REALLY FILTHY and NEGLECTED WD so that I can do that, I have a couple to do with the Air Brush for myself and an Un re built Bullied for a friend of mine, he had my other Bullied Westward Ho off me for his Torridge and Westward Ho layout that was in RM in Feb this year.

Bodgit

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

I need to find a pic of a REALLY FILTHY and NEGLECTED WD to that I can do that, I have a couple to do with the Air Brush for myself and an Un re built Bullied for a friend of mine, he had my other Bullied Westward Ho off me for his Torridge and Westward Ho layout that was in RM in Feb this year. Bodgit

And WDs ran on the S&C, so relevant to KL.

Nice and filthy, eh? Sounds good!

Jeff

Morning Scott.

Nice to have another Canadian on board!

If you've had a Bachmann 9F previously you'll know how good they are. I'm becoming a bit of an addict. I think my fiddle yard is going to be full of them!

And Brits, Jubilees, 8Fs.....

Jeff

Cheers Jeff, 

Never had a 9F at all, either Hornby or Bachmann. I have heard that both are very good with a bit more detail on the Bachmann ones. 

I do have myself a very smart Bachmann 'DRAKE' Jubilee though :) Nice loco and for the price I couldn't say no. 

Edited by thebritfarmer

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Jeff,

Never had a 9F at all, either Hornby or Bachmann. I have heard that both are very good with a bit more detail on the Bachmann ones.

I do have myself a very smart Bachmann 'DRAKE' Jubilee though :) Nice loco and for the price I couldn't say no.

Cheers Jeff, Never had a 9F at all, either Hornby or Bachmann. I have heard that both are very good with a bit more detail on the Bachmann ones. I do have myself a very smart Bachmann 'DRAKE' Jubilee though :) Nice loco and for the price I couldn't say no.

Scott, I think you must be a mind-reader! I'm just about to order another Jubilee (Baroda) and looking forward to weathered Victoria later this year.

I'll be getting Alberta weathered as well - bit of a Canadian theme in the names!

Re. 9Fs... The Bachmann model is superb, but the Hornby Railroad offering is good value at half its price.

The preponderance of 9Fs and Jubilees on the S&C make them essential purchases. What era/region are you modelling?

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

Scott, I think you must be a mind-reader! I'm just about to order another Jubilee (Baroda) and looking forward to weathered Victoria later this year.

I'll be getting Alberta weathered as well - bit of a Canadian theme in the names!

Re. 9Fs... The Bachmann model is superb, but the Hornby Railroad offering is good value at half its price.

The preponderance of 9Fs and Jubilees on the S&C make them essential purchases. What era/regikn are you modeing?

Jeff

Hi Scott, and welcome,

If you go for the Hornby RAILROAD 9F try doing what I do and cut off the front steps from the Bogie as you wont need the front coupling and Araldite (stick) them straight up to the chassis, they are in almost the same position but look 10 times better, I also cut out the coal load, that means removing the redundant motor housing, you can then add real coal, fabricate a pair of cab doors from a bit if scrap plastic and it will look and run as good as the Bachmann one for a lot less money. 

Bodgit the Bodger

• Like 1

The preponderance of 9Fs and Jubilees on the S&C make them essential purchases. What era/regikn are you modeing?

Jeff

Sounds like a nice lineup Jeff. 

My preferred era is 1980s and located in Yorkshire. I stumbled across DRAKE and thought I would have one, I think it was about £56 DCC fitted so would have been rude not too. Then I found out it was scrapped after its steam days:(. So I have decided to do a mini 8x2 end to end set in late steam somewhere up north. I am not a stickler for accuracy, just after an overall feel of the era and location. 

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like a nice lineup Jeff.

My preferred era is 1980s and located in Yorkshire. I stumbled across DRAKE and thought I would have one, I think it was about £56 DCC fitted so would have been rude not too. Then I found out it was scrapped after its steam days:(. So I have decided to do a mini 8x2 end to end set in late steam somewhere up north. I am not a stickler for accuracy, just after an overall feel of the era and location.

Don't worry about the stickler bit. If the overall feel of the scene is right - and you are happy with it - that's all that matters.

I saw the Drake offer (last year?) and regret not getting one. I've got a Jubilee, Patriot and WD Austerity lined up for my next orders.

Btw - I love green diesels - waiting for the new Bachmann 40 to appear. I didn't buy any locos last year, as I focussed on the garage conversion. Trying to make up for it now....

Have you got a layout thread?

Hope the weather is ok where you are - the flooding in Calgary looked terrible.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

Don't worry about the stickler bit. If the overall feel of the scene is right - and you are happy with it - that's all that matters.

I saw the Drake offer (last year?) and regret not getting one. I've got a Jubilee, Patriot and WD Austerity lined up for my next orders.

Btw - I love green diesels - waiting for the new Bachmann 40 to appear. I didn't buy any locos last year, as I focussed on the garage conversion. Trying to make up for it now....

Have you got a layout thread?

Hope the weather is ok where you are - the flooding in Calgary looked terrible.

Jeff

Hopefully I will be able to pull it off. This will be my first bash at it. 

I did pickup Drake last year, about this time and I may have to pick up another Jubilee sometime in the future.  I wouldn't mind getting a Black 5. I also like the look of the Bachmann 3F and the Class 8750 that is due to be released soon. 

I don't have a layout thread for this layout that I have in mind as I only have the plywood currently. As soon as I get a few bits together I will start one. My current trainset can be found in my signature. When funds allow this will be my fictitious layout which will roughly be 24 x 14 but that could well be in another lifetime :D :D

It is quite warm here but we are expecting some rain over the next few days. The city where I live I borders Detroit, Michigan so we are quite a way from Calgary thank goodness.  I do have friends there however and they say it is just awful. They are safe and hopefully it will let up soon. 

Regards 

Scott 

Edited by thebritfarmer

For all that the WD looks like it has been beaten by the Germans and put away wet, it looks like it is in reasonable mechanical nick, blowing off on what I assume is a rising gradient, with a fair train of 16t minerals behind.  It could be a bit tighter on the rods- after reading "the red devil" I am more convinced that the only way steam lost was because of the "newness" of diesels, not because of any advantages.  It was the things like the fact that an engine would run OK with leaks like that which meant that a diesel could beat it- fit proper packing, and you gain ~5-10 hp for the same coal.  (or burn less coal to do the same work...)

Welcome to Scott from Windsor from me out in Victoria.  (to give an idea of distance/timing, it probably would take longer to fly from here to Scott than from here to London...proves the earth is a ball !)

James

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that pic!  Now that's what I call a retaining wall.  All small brick and not a support pillar in sight.  Amazing!

Morning Gordon.

Isn't it strange what people see in photos? I was concentrating so much on tbe WD that I hardly noticed the wall.

It is impressive - more so for its use of traditional brick.

Jeff

Morning Gordon.

Isn't it strange what people see in photos? I was concentrating so much on tbe WD that I hardly noticed the wall.

It is impressive - more so for its use of traditional brick.

Jeff

Like you Jeff, I had to go back to the pic to re look at the wall.

Bodgit

• RMweb Premium

Like you Jeff, I had to go back to the pic to re look at the wall. Bodgit

Hi Andy.

Dave's photo is a cracker. I knew you'd like the Austerity - just the ideal level of muck for your weathering project. I've ordered one and I'll put some pics up when it's been weathered.

After only a couple of days away I'm itching to do a bit of walling. I'll also get a roll of hanging basket liner and see how appropriate it is for some of the Fell grasswork.

Jeff

Arg ! another 7P sits in the car, awaiting to come into the house when I next go outside.  That, and a B1.  Ex estate of one of the BRMoV members, so new to me. 

When I was looking at the photo of the WD above, it reminds me of what I was saying to Andrew P about the texture of the dirt on the running boards- they are not "painted" but "covered" in stuff.  That's a part of why I think that chalk/ect is a required part (part !) of the toolkit to do decent weathering.  There are a lot of techniques required to get the texture, and the colours in weathering, just like how the real thing is generated. 

Anyway, that's a great photo, and now I have another couple of locos to play with.  It's not that I'm afraid of putting muck onto waggons, or locos, but that I don't have that much time to do it.  (lots of other projects to work on - I've a few walls Jeff could work on like the other one he has been working)

James

• RMweb Premium

Arg ! another 7P sits in the car, awaiting to come into the house when I next go outside.  That, and a B1.  Ex estate of one of the BRMoV members, so new to me.  When I was looking at the photo of the WD above, it reminds me of what I was saying to Andrew P about the texture of the dirt on the running boards- they are not "painted" but "covered" in stuff.  That's a part of why I think that chalk/ect is a required part (part !) of the toolkit to do decent weathering.  There are a lot of techniques required to get the texture, and the colours in weathering, just like how the real thing is generated.  Anyway, that's a great photo, and now I have another couple of locos to play with.  It's not that I'm afraid of putting muck onto waggons, or locos, but that I don't have that much time to do it.  (lots of other projects to work on - I've a few walls Jeff could work on like the other one he has been working) James

Morning James.

I'm certainly not short of a few walls I need to work on. Being away for a few days gives you time to think about (the large amount of work) what you are going to do. Still, better to be busy than not!

For the moment I'll leave weathering for the experts!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Just popped in to see if anyone had posted...very quiet on here.

Not being able to do any modelling means I'm doing lots of scheming and planning. The thing is, how many locos do I REALLY need on here??!!!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Just popped in to see if anyone had posted...very quiet on here.

Not being able to do any modelling means I'm doing lots of scheming and planning. The thing is, how many locos do I REALLY need on here??!!!

Jeff

All depends on how flexible your flexible friend is Jeff. There are so many lovely models about and due to be released (I have three on order) some of us are spoilt for choice. Never mind a shunting plank to keep you busy after KL, what about an MPD? Somewhere for most of your models and most standing still too. Looks much better than glass fronted cabinets (I use mine to store retired locos and those that wont go any more). That's why I want an MPD on my next "great last" project.

I think I may have confused need with want.

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Premium

All depends on how flexible your flexible friend is Jeff. There are so many lovely models about and due to be released (I have three on order) some of us are spoilt for choice. Never mind a shunting plank to keep you busy after KL, what about an MPD? Somewhere for most of your models and most standing still too. Looks much better than glass fronted cabinets (I use mine to store retired locos and those that wont go any more). That's why I want an MPD on my next "great last" project.I think I may have confused need with want.

I'd just written you an extensive reply to your post and managed to lose it using this stupid phone!!

You make some good points - I'll try again when I can use my laptop. Too many active buttons for my clumsy fingers on a little screen!!

Suffice to say I too have need and want problems!

Jeff