Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Hi Jeff having read your experiment I am waiting to see the results, but please don't rush it as we all want to see how IT SHOULD BE DONE.

Two thing I wish to point out, firstly the water sprayer, I tend to spray up a little and let it fall on the track as opposed to spraying the track and blasting the ballast all over the place.

My second point is that the Howes Spray lands on the rails VERY THICK and to my eyes even on Code 100 tends to look very heavy, I will be either painting or Air Brushing on  Bute Road.

Jeff,

Did you mean me or someone who knows what they are doing?

Interestingly though I just have bought some Preiser Beach figures, plus a few others and some Milliput to alter some of them so in the next couple of weeks I could produce something if two figures in mankinis are not two too many.

It is on hold at the moment as I am spending all my time modelling!!!!!  I am building a couple of structures, 4 terraced cottages and a Hobbit house to be used in a film my son is making.  He won't need them before 13th so there is no pressure!!  :nono:

There's no such thing as too many mankinis when you visit Kirkby Luneside, right Jeff? :jester:

(or is it "one mankini is one too many...")

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

Did you mean me or someone who knows what they are doing?

Interestingly though I just have bought some Preiser Beach figures, plus a few others and some Milliput to alter some of them so in the next couple of weeks I could produce something if two figures in mankinis are not two too many.

It is on hold at the moment as I am spending all my time modelling!!!!!  I am building a couple of structures, 4 terraced cottages and a Hobbit house to be used in a film my son is making.  He won't need them before 13th so there is no pressure!!  :nono:

Evening Chris.

Yes, I was referring to you as I know of your interest in figures. However, that lovable rogue Scott (Jukebox) has the matter in hand. And I see he's stirring the mankini thing again.

Must admit, it's still funny after all this time - and the "deal" I've done with him should cause a few eyes to roll!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff having read your experiment I am waiting to see the results, but please don't rush it as we all want to see how IT SHOULD BE DONE.

Two thing I wish to point out, firstly the water sprayer, I tend to spray up a little and let it fall on the track as opposed to spraying the track and blasting the ballast all over the place.

My second point is that the Howes Spray lands on the rails VERY THICK and to my eyes even on Code 100 tends to look very heavy, I will be either painting or Air Brushing on  Bute Road.

Thanks for the spraying suggestion Andy. I don't need to spray at all if I apply the ballast TO the glue. But I was very disappointed with today's results - just as Mike (Stationmaster) showed in a photo a while back. I'll try PVA - GordonS seems very pleased with it.

In the meantime I'm going to try a change of ballast. Jason used 2mm Carrs, so I'll order some in a minute.

I need a reliable method that looks good and if I end up with the traditional PVA dropper method, so be it. But Copydex does appeal...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff I think you need glue on the base first then add more on the top after ballasting

Don

Don, just to clarify.... I painted Copydex glue in between the sleepers in various dilutions: neat, 1:2, 1:4 (glue:water) before sprinkling the ballast on (and pressing it home).

All combinations had very patchy adhesion.

Tomorrow I'll paint neat and diluted PVA onto some track and repeat the procedure.

I want to avoid the dropper method, if possible, but may end up going back to it.

I've just ordered some 2mm Carrs ballast so I'll see if that makes any difference.

Jeff

I don't envy you Jeff, but a very fine mist floating over nicely groomed ballast might be the only answer.  I was worse at ballasting than track construction so don't look to me for advice.

What I need is some advice about Web hosting for a site which I want to make which displays my pictutres and people can PAY to download them, but I have come up against a wall of gobbledigook/marketing cliches pictures of stupid girls and tech talk, and it has given me a headache.

Have to think of a domain name too.  

• RMweb Premium

I don't envy you Jeff, but a very fine mist floating over nicely groomed ballast might be the only answer.  I was worse at ballasting than track construction so don't look to me for advice.

What I need is some advice about Web hosting for a site which I want to make which displays my pictutres and people can PAY to download them, but I have come up against a wall of gobbledigook/marketing cliches pictures of stupid girls and tech talk, and it has given me a headache.

Have to think of a domain name too.  

Best of luck with that, Rob. There MUST be someone on here that has the relevant expertise!

Btw, I've a weathered Patriot and Jubilee arriving from TMC tomorrow or Friday. It's like Christmas all over again!!!!

Jeff

• Like 2

Best of luck with that, Rob. There MUST be someone on here that has the relevant expertise!

Btw, I've a weathered Patriot and Jubilee arriving from TMC tomorrow or Friday. It's like Christmas all over again!!!!

Jeff

Thankyou Jeff, I have established a domain name and am contructing a simple website with reasonably attractive template but I do not assuredly not enjoy working with Microsoft (or any other) software and all the related page editing. There may be people who enjoy that stuff, including the avalache of acronyms. Even if I know what most of the acronyms mean.

I think it takes a couple of days for the web hosting company and domain name to become active. It has been a day of pain somewhat like being dragged backwards by the ankles, face down over broken glass. Probably worth it in the end, Jan says. It will be called www.mcgavinrailwayphotos.co.nz

On the other hand I tried ballasting once, and the only system which worked for me was spreading it like pinches of salt on a bed of wet PVA.

The people who say that ballasting is a 'doddle' are of the same kind who say that creating a website is easy and takes 2 hours, as they did it, neglecting to mention the nephew or daughter who set it up for them.

I'd rather be creating pictures or modelling trains, and will leave the website thing until I find myself again willing to cause myself grief.

There. I feel better now.   I think the Jubilee and Patriot will be great.

Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So if there is NO ballast pics we might at least see Pat and Jube having a party on the said Birthday Viaduct :O

Bodgit :sungum:

I think I'll have a word with Pat and Jube and see if they'll cooperate - when they arrive. They should be a damn sight more photogenic than my ballasting trial.

Speaking of which, I'll repeat the process with PVA very shortly.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Morning Jeff, how's the experimenting coming along? Through all your trials and tribulations so far, the most important ingredient in ballasting is patience. As far as I can see there is no quick solution and basically it's what ever works for you. Like those walls, you will have to take your time. Those modern images fellers have it good with ballast, just chuck it all over the place.

• RMweb Gold

Mike - the results of ALL the tests with Copydex were TERRIBLE. A horror story - I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them - we all need a laugh!!

I'm going to order some Carrs 2mm ballast and try that.

In the meantime, I'll try 2mm onto painted-on PVA....

Jeff

Jeff,

This, on the nearest siding was the result in my case using the method I described - the result being distinctly patchy to say the least.  The line with the brick sitting on it was done with neat pva applied only to the area outside the rails and worked quite well as it has held in place an 18" radius reverse curve with no problems (that being the only way I could fix down the track as it is laid on a 'baseboard' of doubled up (just there) 5mm foamboard.

I think I achieved a far better result with the steps you can see in the background through the door!

post-6859-0-00558800-1372935209_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Evening Chris.

Yes, I was referring to you as I know of your interest in figures. However, that lovable rogue Scott (Jukebox) has the matter in hand. And I see he's stirring the mankini thing again.

Must admit, it's still funny after all this time - and the "deal" I've done with him should cause a few eyes to roll!!

Jeff

Now you could have a nudey to fire for you Jeff too?!

Now we could have a batch made, and see how many Mankini Jeffs we can get in the modelling press and/or on demonstration layouts........ ;-}

Andy G

I like that idea for a contest, Andy.  Slip them onto layouts at exhibitions and see if anyone notices...

Comical Ali is in battle fatigues, so I guess he's firing. :locomotive:  

When K/L does finally get into Model Rail, Jeff, you'll need to bribe someone to get the Borat/Ali crewed loco on the cover!

• RMweb Premium

I like that idea for a contest, Andy.  Slip them onto layouts at exhibitions and see if anyone notices...

When K/L does finally get into Model Rail, Jeff, you'll need to bribe someone to get the Borat/Ali crewed loco on the cover!

Thanks for the compliment Scott but I doubt it'll ever be good enough to get into a magazine. Your spoof of MR (page 155 of this thread) is probably the closest it'll ever get!

Btw, I've some 2mm ballast, sprinkled onto neat PVA, drying at the mo. A pic later - unless it's another horror show!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Don't kid yourself Jeff, you'll get offers galore when the time is right. Even in unfinished state, it's better than 75% of the layouts that appear in the monthlies (MRJ excepted, for obvious reasons).

Mr York will come a-knocking, I'm sure of it.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the compliment Scott but I doubt it'll ever be good enough to get into a magazine. Your spoof of MR (page 155 of this thread) is probably the closest it'll ever get!

Btw, I've some 2mm ballast, sprinkled onto neat PVA, drying at the mo. A pic later - unless it's another horror show!!

Jeff

Can we have shots of the horrors as well please, it'll make us all fell better that even Jeff has disasters!

Andy g

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

After leaving the PVA to dry for a couple of hours I've hoovered the surplus ballast away. Here are the results:

post-13778-0-80845000-1372952597_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-13492700-1372952603_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-91791100-1372952608_thumb.jpg

I think this is a quite satisfactory outcome.

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

That looks ok Jeff.

Now is it possible to put another coat of PVA over the top and ballast again? This might give a deeper look...

Andy G

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The only problem with battle fatigues is that you can buy straight models of them, and of nudes as well.  Making a figure in a mankini is different as you have to adapt other figures.

Jeff,

Yes I am sure that you will get in the model press.  I have also seen layouts that are completed in the mags that do not look as good as yours now.

I like the ballasting, it's looking good.  I won't mention the fact that you've missed the far side.  :no:  (Well if I didn't someone else would.)

• RMweb Premium

The only problem with battle fatigues is that you can buy straight models of them, and of nudes as well.  Making a figure in a mankini is different as you have to adapt other figures.

Jeff,

Yes I am sure that you will get in the model press.  I have also seen layouts that are completed in the mags that do not look as good as yours now.

I like the ballasting, it's looking good.  I won't mention the fact that you've missed the far side.  :no:  (Well if I didn't someone else would.)

I knew I'd missed something - it kinda had that "incomplete look"!! Now why didn't I spot that!!?

Re. Model press. It's not something I'm aiming for - in fact, I'm not considering that at all. It's nice that people on here pass on compliments - as comments from your peers mean a lot.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That looks ok Jeff.

Now is it possible to put another coat of PVA over the top and ballast again? This might give a deeper look...

Andy G

Good idea Andy - and as it's only a "mock up" then it doesn't matter if it goes wrong. I'll have to get some 2mm cinders/ash ballast for the edge/cess.

Jeff

ps. I'll do as you suggested after posting this and show the result in a few hours...

• RMweb Premium

Don't kid yourself Jeff, you'll get offers galore when the time is right. Even in unfinished state, it's better than 75% of the layouts that appear in the monthlies (MRJ excepted, for obvious reasons).

Mr York will come a-knocking, I'm sure of it.

Cheers Jason. I know this isn't a mutual admiration society, but coming from you those comments mean a lot.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Good idea Andy - and as it's only a "mock up" then it doesn't matter if it goes wrong. I'll have to get some 2mm cinders/ash ballast for the edge/cess.

Jeff

ps. I'll do as you suggested after posting this and show the result in a few hours...

Do you want me to raid the Rayburn's ashpan? I produce a vast array of shades of ash and it is mostly the correct size for use in 4mm.....

Andy G