Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Before long there'll be sheep in them thar hills !! 

I think I had read somewhere before (not sure where however) that the further away the hills/fields etc..are the darker they appear. 

Hi Mate, no its lighter the further away you go as with the blue in the sky getting whiter the nearer to the horizon it is.

Some distant hill can appear a lilac / lavender colour in a heat haze, (not many of those on the S & C.)

Bodgit :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

If there were a few sheep, or perhaps Julia Bradbury striding across, it then I would have thought it was real!

I think if Julia Bradbury was walking across I'd be not too far behind!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I think there would be a QUE, :O

but

NOT if you were in that green little number :no: :no: :no: :no:

Scott - if you read this.... can you manufacture a Julia Bradbury figure in 00 - Mankini Man and Ali could then be seen strolling through the S&C fells in hot pursuit!!

Back to business - another couple of hours and I'll go and add a bit more ground cover onto presently-uncovered Fell tops. The backscene boards behind the area are removable and can be given a blue-white base painting off site.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ha ha! You'll be need some GM micro sheep to keep it short too.

The grass on the lower slopes will certainly be brighter, due to the more fertile soils and sheltered position. Looking at that photo your upper fells are spot on.

Yep, quite right. The areas that will get the "lighter treatment" will be those around the stream, below viaduct level.

There'll also be a lot more scrub and rock debris. Bit like this:

post-13778-0-64385200-1377535377.jpg

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

If you are doing the sky with a aerosol as suggested by David Wright then I would suggest a white base colour and then I think he uses Vauxhall Nordic Blue from Halfords and just spray the top half and let it fade as you work down, this is how I did this one but with an Air Brush.

post-9335-0-17959800-1377537069_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-23809800-1377537284_thumb.jpg

Bodgit

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

Not sure when the Irish cattle trade ended but they certainly had a major flow through Liverpool/Birkenhead and possibly Heysham & Stranraer for dispersal throughout the country so there would be a good chance the S&C was utilised for this traffic plus the local market moves. Anyway they look good!

If it was Jeff in Mankini Man guise, wouldn't it be Julia Bradbury running across the fells?

Bill

What have I started!

Yep, quite right. The areas that will get the "lighter treatment" will be those around the stream, below viaduct level.

There'll also be a lot more scrub and rock debris. Bit like this:

attachicon.gifartengill-n1034.jpg

Jeff

Now surely that must be a photo of the viaduct end of Kirby Luneside!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

What have I started!

Now surely that must be a photo of the viaduct end of Kirby Luneside!

Ooooooooooooooh - you little flatterer Kev!!

You must be a Lunester through and through!!!!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

The photos below show the work just done - and I won't do any more tonight. US modellers like Dave Frary are very keen on the "wet on wet" technique (see some of his excellent Kalmbach publications). However, there's a limit - as far as I'm concerned - to the amount of wet PVA sloshing around!!

Anyway, here goes:

post-13778-0-03877400-1377540804_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-92245200-1377540807_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-95731200-1377540811_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Not sure when the Irish cattle trade ended but they certainly had a major flow through Liverpool/Birkenhead and possibly Heysham & Stranraer for dispersal throughout the country so there would be a good chance the S&C was utilised for this traffic plus the local market moves. Anyway they look good!

The Irish cattle traffic was all concentrated on Holyhead in the 1960s as far as I can recall and there was also a regular traffic on donkeys as well - they too being conveyed in cattle wagons.

• RMweb Premium

They certainly do and that's justification enough for me.

Not sure I can run as many cattle trains as the anhydrite wagons that we sorely need!

Jeff

The Irish cattle traffic was all concentrated on Holyhead in the 1960s as far as I can recall and there was also a regular traffic on donkeys as well - they too being conveyed in cattle wagons.

A friend of mine worked as an office clerk in BR at Birkenhead and has told me of the large amount of cattle traffic passing through from Ireland but must admit she never said when it finished, both her and her husband held senior positions following a long BR career but it was like getting blood out of a stone at times.

• RMweb Gold

A friend of mine worked as an office clerk in BR at Birkenhead and has told me of the large amount of cattle traffic passing through from Ireland but must admit she never said when it finished, both her and her husband held senior positions following a long BR career but it was like getting blood out of a stone at times.

Irish cattle imports via Holyhead ceased on November 1975 according to Hansard although traffic had been severely reduced following the bridge fire; that signalled the end of cattle traffic on BR as the flows via Holyhead were all that remained by then.  The remaining Irish cattle trade was then diverted to Birkenhead, the only import port for Irish cattle, but cattle traffic beyond Birkenhead into Great Britain didn't pass by rail.  As far as I can trace back the Irish cattle trade was concentrated on these two ports prior to 1968.

• RMweb Gold

The grass really looks good Jeff remember sheep mown hills tend to have shorter grass with sometimes tuffs of tougher grass the sheep leave if they can find tasty stuff. I don't know about the cumbrian sheep but the sheep in the welsh borders also seemed to make trails where one would follow another. I suspect the cattle trains on the S&C were scottish/borders cattle heading south and empties going back by and large.

Don

• RMweb Premium

The grass really looks good Jeff remember sheep mown hills tend to have shorter grass with sometimes tuffs of tougher grass the sheep leave if they can find tasty stuff. I don't know about the cumbrian sheep but the sheep in the welsh borders also seemed to make trails where one would follow another. I suspect the cattle trains on the S&C were scottish/borders cattle heading south and empties going back by and large.

Don

Cheers Don.

Trails and pathways will be added later when the present mess has dried. I use Fine turf "Earth", which is fairly dark, to indicate some kind of animal trail. Stone paths are usually a combination of the Earth and some fine ballast, along with direct exposure to the brown paint base on top of the plaster.

Small tufts are a "problem" I've not considered yet...

Jeff

• Like 1

Yes, I did that with the ballast and probably saved myself half the total I used. I'm doing the same with the scatters.

Here are 3 closer views of the stuff I've just put on. I managed to find some mister bottles - I cleaned out some anti-bacterial spray bottles.... Key element is to spray everything with "wet water" before spraying on the PVA.

attachicon.gif100_4003.JPG

attachicon.gif100_4004.JPG

attachicon.gif100_4005.JPG

Jeff

(I'm sure everyone knows this, but the order I've put scatter on is: Apply undiluted PVA to the Fell plaster / sprinkle base coat of scatters / allow to dry / vacuum off excess / spray with wet water (water plus a few drops of detergent) / spray with diluted (1:1) PVA / add second coat of scatters / give a light topp coat of PVA/ allow to dry.... etc.  It's important NOT to press the scatters onto the PVA as this flattens the scatter and you lose the textures that build up.

Sorry for the boring rant).

Much nicer sky background, and all looking marvellous.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff.

Blimey, I've been away from RMWeb for a single day and you've added two pages and all that green stuff!

I wish you'd slow down a bit :) :) :)

Al

Al - you know me....once I get the bit between my teeth.....

I think I'll be doing a bit more walling over the next few days!!

Jeff

Irish cattle imports via Holyhead ceased on November 1975 according to Hansard although traffic had been severely reduced following the bridge fire; that signalled the end of cattle traffic on BR as the flows via Holyhead were all that remained by then.  The remaining Irish cattle trade was then diverted to Birkenhead, the only import port for Irish cattle, but cattle traffic beyond Birkenhead into Great Britain didn't pass by rail.  As far as I can trace back the Irish cattle trade was concentrated on these two ports prior to 1968.

Hi Mike

thanks for that, saves me pondering.

Al - you know me....once I get the bit between my teeth.....

I think I'll be doing a bit more walling over the next few days!!

Jeff

I thought you wrote WAILING :no: :no: :no: :no: at the wall. :nono: