Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

This layout, and the community it has evolved is absolutely brilliant, keep up the good work :)

Cheers Daniel. Glad you are enjoying all the "action" and craziness of the luny Lunesters.

Hope you'll stick around - and keep posting!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff and GANG, I have had a busy 48 hours and I feel I have missed loads, I intended to have a good read through all the Lunester pages last night and only got as far the last couple of pages on here before I was nodding off.

ALSO

I hink dat ason has iven e is old as I am al ungd up an canf breeve/

Notty konk Bodgit

Is that how they speak down Plymouth way, Andy? No wonder George has difficulty understanding some of the stuff you put on them videos!!  :O

Hope to have some photos to show you tomorrow. I've just come in from the bunker and I'm frustrated as I can't do the next bit without using power tools. Don't think my neighbours would be too impressed at this time of night!

Hope the last 48 hours have been successful!

Power-tool-junkie Lunester!

Is that how they speak down Plymouth way, Andy? No wonder George has difficulty understanding some of the stuff you put on them videos!!  :O

Hope to have some photos to show you tomorrow. I've just come in from the bunker and I'm frustrated as I can't do the next bit without using power tools. Don't think my neighbours would be too impressed at this time of night!

Hope the last 48 hours have been successful!

Power-tool-junkie Lunester!

Put the Zep up LOUD and that will drown out the power tools, and NOBODY CAN COMPLAIN ABOUT LED ZEP at full volume, hahhahee

DO WOT, :O I CAN'T HEAR YOU KNOCKING ON MY DOOR :nono:

• Like 2

Andy, I hope you aren't trying to persuade a fine upstanding member of the community to behave in a way liable to get him an ASBO!  They'd probably ban him from here as part of it, then how would we get our daily fix!

Sounds like you've got a good plan of action Jeff - are you making the valley floor strong enough to stand on for access to the corner for track cleaning / stock re-railing etc?

Jeff,

In all seriousness I forgot to say that I am looking forward to seeing the next phase of KL moving forward. If you are back to WOOD then we can expect more great pics of wonderful superstructures coming our way. I wish I owned the local timber merchants around your way. I would be worth a fortune, and could retire, Oh I have :O daaaaaaaaaaaaa :no:

P.S. I have PM'd you.

Bodgit the Timber Merchant

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

In all seriousness I forgot to say that I am looking forward to seeing the next phase of KL moving forward. If you are back to WOOD then we can expect more great pics of wonderful superstructures coming our way. I wish I owned the local timber merchants around your way. I would be worth a fortune, and could retire, Oh I have :O daaaaaaaaaaaaa :no:

P.S. I have PM'd you.

Bodgit the Timber Merchant

Thanks for the PM, Andy. I've replied.

I salvaged a lot of 44mm x 44mm wood from the old layout - probably £150 worth. Not to be sniffed at!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Andy, I hope you aren't trying to persuade a fine upstanding member of the community to behave in a way liable to get him an ASBO!  They'd probably ban him from here as part of it, then how would we get our daily fix!

Sounds like you've got a good plan of action Jeff - are you making the valley floor strong enough to stand on for access to the corner for track cleaning / stock re-railing etc?

Not quite. I've actually removed the valley floor back to the subframe. You can certainly stand on that! Without the valley floor I can crawl under the valley and stand up next to the viaduct to do what you suggest.

And the valley floor.... where the stream etc. will go? I've made it removable. I'll post pics tomorrow when it's at a more advanced state than at present.

Jeff

Not quite. I've actually removed the valley floor back to the subframe. You can certainly stand on that! Without the valley floor I can crawl under the valley and stand up next to the viaduct to do what you suggest.

And the valley floor.... where the stream etc. will go? I've made it removable. I'll post pics tomorrow when it's at a more advanced state than at present.

Jeff

Ah, that makes much more sense!  Are you making it lift out, or slide out?  I guess the latter would be easier to move, but slightly harder to hide in terms of scenery...

Edited by MichaelW

Thanks for the PM, Andy. I've replied.

I salvaged a lot of 44mm x 44mm wood from the old layout - probable £150 worth. Not to be sniffed at!

Jeff

When you say SNIFFED AT, :O  does that mean you are going to glue the next timbers together? :no:

Bodgit stikes again :sungum: :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Ah, that makes much more sense!  Are you making it lift out, or slide out?  I guess the latter would be easier to move, but slightly harder to hide in terms of scenery...

I've actually made it slide out. The valley floor section is a wedge-shape, with the thinner end nearer the viaduct. As I say, I'll put some photos up tomorrow when there is more of a completed product.

Here's a taster for you...

post-13778-0-44050100-1362614328_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I love it when a cunning plan comes together. Moveable water, sounds a bit like Tracey Island. Now that dates me.

No it doesn't. You could be one of the Blue Peter-Thunderbirds inspired generation from the 90s!!

The bunker beneath the stream is in place. But NO photography or Scott Tracy will be after you....

Power tools ready to whirl, let's see how we get on today!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

I like the pull out bit Jeff, will you also cut the frame away and re leg and brace that bit so you can SQUEEZE in between THE HILLS in the standing position to work on the scenic's?

Bodgit

• RMweb Premium

I have to say, I hope that Al (Schubert) catches a photo or two of Jeff stood in that hole painting, weathering and ballasting the track across the viaduct, as it's going to look hilarious :D

What's this talk of thunderbirds? Aren't red and silver painted 47's a bit out of period for you Jeff?

Do you have any 'requests' for motive power for tomorrows 'railtour' ?

Don't worry Jason, I've charged up the batteries for the DSLR ready for some 14mp pictures of the master at work as he changes the lie of the land with a single sweep of his mighty circular saw!

• RMweb Premium

OH my word!!!!! WHAT have I done to deserve this?!!!

You lot ganging up on me!! Jason, you will no doubt get your wish as Al is sure to contrive some kind of hilarious situation as I demonstrate the merits of Tracy Island Mark 2!!

andy - I'm leaving the subframe intact, as it is now. Cutting it would weaken the structure a little and there's already enough space for me to pop up between the beams. Better make sure I stay "slim"!! Also, when the removable section comes out, I can climb on top of the subframe, if necessary.

Jeff

ps there will be photos later, I promise! Lots of them!

• RMweb Premium

What's this talk of thunderbirds? Aren't red and silver painted 47's a bit out of period for you Jeff?

Do you have any 'requests' for motive power for tomorrows 'railtour' ?

Don't worry Jason, I've charged up the batteries for the DSLR ready for some 14mp pictures of the master at work as he changes the lie of the land with a single sweep of his mighty circular saw!

Al - bring whatever you fancy giving a run. If you've chipped the 28, bring that - I was very taken by it and need to buy one soon.

I'll give the bunker and top surfaces/rail a good clean-out before you arrive. I was hoping to get another 3 turnouts connected to the panel - if Rapid get my wire delivered!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

I've actually made it slide out. The valley floor section is a wedge-shape, with the thinner end nearer the viaduct. As I say, I'll put some photos up tomorrow when there is more of a completed product.

Here's a taster for you...

attachicon.gif100_2804.JPG

Jeff

Jeff,

Very clever idea.  If you had a footpath or something you could hide the join. (It's too late to ask Ernie Wise how he did it!) Still, that is a problem for another day.

• RMweb Premium

Update - with some photos...

The hill profile boards for the HILL edge have been fitted in place:

post-13778-0-77349800-1362662510_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-57702400-1362662519_thumb.jpg

Sitting in between the hills is the "valley bottom board" - which can slide in and out. Each side of the bottom board has a profile board fitted (not shown yet - that's my next job!) that is as exact a copy of the hill profile board as I can make it.... Hope that makes sense - it'll be clearer with the next set of pics.

post-13778-0-03757300-1362662531_thumb.jpg

Jeff

Btw, my original idea was to build the sliding board as a rectangular shape. It was Al who suggested making a slight wedge. The width at the viaduct end is 34cm, at the near end (on the photos), 38cm. A wedge is easier to engage accurately and less prone to getting stuck. Thanks Al.

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

Very clever idea.  If you had a footpath or something you could hide the join. (It's too late to ask Ernie Wise how he did it!) Still, that is a problem for another day.

We could all sing: Bring me sunshine

Light up the world Lune

PS Nice work Jeff.  Love jigsaw puzzles where you just slot the piece into it's hole.  Sliding takes it to a whole new dimension.  Will think about that for my layout.

Edited by southern42
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We could all sing: Bring me sunshine

Light up the world Lune

PS Nice work Jeff.  Love jigsaw puzzles where you just slot the piece into it's hole.  Sliding takes it to a whole new dimension.  Will think about that for my layout.

Thanks Polly.

Jeff

That looks like it's going to work realy well. Can't wait to see the finished item.

Duncan

Cheers. Hopefully I'll be able to show you the main structure in about 2 hours.

Jeff

• Like 1

Great idea there Jeff

I must admit that I want to do something similar as I wish to have large scenic areas to give the layout more depth in photographs, I would then have these as removable sections for access but I haven't thought about it too hard yet until I have somewhere for it to go. It makes the planning easier if you have it all in front of you.

Look forward to the next instalment.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Jim. Here IS the next installment!

The first photo shows the "valley floor boards" cut to (near as I can get it) the same profile as the hill profile boards. The valley ones are currently glued to the bottom board. When the glue has dried I'll put some screws in as well...

post-13778-0-28521800-1362672831_thumb.jpg

The next 2 pics show the stream formers. I've had to re-do these and have only done 4 so far. I'll probably do another 6. The formers shown aren't fixed in place at the moment - I'll do that when the other stuff has set...

post-13778-0-36469600-1362672839_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-36391700-1362672848_thumb.jpg

I've cleaned up the bunker for today - as far as cutting etc is concerned. More tomorrow. However, my wire has arrived, so I'll be back in there later to wire up some more turnouts.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 3