Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

To me it sounds like you've got a few curved turnouts from a dodgy batch - probably means the wrong track gauge was used to hold the rails at one end.  At least you know what to do with it.

Jason, I can imagine the pressure to post can get to you if you have a popular thread.  But as you say, it's a useful to be able to get that feedback - hopefully before you go too far down that road.

• RMweb Gold

Turnout no 2 looks to have a very sharp diverging radius possibly a bit tight for bigger locos unless it just looks so because of the camera angle. The gauge should be wrong unless someone has narrowed the track gauge to close up the flangeways. Some 0 gaugers use 31.5 instead of 32 at turnouts but it does affect the minimum radius you can use.

Don

• RMweb Premium

The photo does make it look rather tight but I would imagine it's a 1:6. Suppose it's not a crossover that would be used much (if at all) anyway, as how often will wrong-line workings over the viaduct be depicted and if I remember correctly, the branch platform has a separate run-round that means that it would never need to use the main lines to run round stock.

• RMweb Premium

I can happily report that the Up (anticlockwise) mainline is now continuous and at 6.10pm the 9F ran around the circuit, in reverse, pushing a coach. Then in the forwards direction for several circuits.

No problems.

Both curved turnouts behaved impeccably.

That isn't to say there wasn't A problem....

The Cobalt connected to turnout 3 failed to polarity switch and its second switch had to be used instead - this worked fine. I only worked out that this was the problem after all the continuity tests worked fine, but switching the turnout was giving some very odd voltmeter readings (for reference: if working correctly, voltage between frog and switched blade = 0V, between frog and unconnected blade = DCC AC supply voltage (around 19V AC). The dodgy switch was giving 2.4V AC on both blades!!).

All is switched off. Time for food.

Btw, as Jason said, the trailing crossover is a very rarely used feature, included to give a little more "run-round" flexibility in a mainline shunting situation. The crossover works well: in today's test the 9F was moving through it at a scale 80mph with no problems.

Jeff

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

A moment of celebration, the first full loop. So how long did you sit back watching it circle?

When I wired my first board up (station board), I must have shuttled an 08 up and down each line for about an hour before I got bored :)

• RMweb Premium

A moment of celebration, the first full loop. So how long did you sit back watching it circle?

When I wired my first board up (station board), I must have shuttled an 08 up and down each line for about an hour before I got bored :)

If I hadn't been so hungry I'd still be in there now!

I let it run in both directions for about 15 minutes. I'll be in there later with my brother, to run the 25 around.

I have 6 turnouts left to wire - 4 really, as 2 are in sidings. The 4 remaining are the single and double slips. Fun - tomorrow!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Slips are no more complicated than any other turnouts really, it is just a case of thinking of them as two separate turnouts. I was dreading wiring the one on the entrance to my fiddle yard but it was a doddle. All you need to think about is where the power needs to go and with your background, that should be second nature.

You know, if it were me, I would probably have laid and wired up the goods yard before everything else as I love shunting :)

• Like 1

Congratulations on your first curtcit mate, I sure you will be eger to start and finish the second one even quicker.

I have been having a good read through and you have some great followers who really are interested in what you are doing.

Not long now and you will have all the wiring done and you will be back up to your eyeballs in plaster and ideas for the other valley.

Catch up again later

Bodgit :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Slips are no more complicated than any other turnouts really, it is just a case of thinking of them as two separate turnouts. I was dreading wiring the one on the entrance to my fiddle yard but it was a doddle. All you need to think about is where the power needs to go and with your background, that should be second nature.

You know, if it were me, I would probably have laid and wired up the goods yard before everything else as I love shunting :)

All the slips are actually wired to the Cobalts. All I need to do is get under the board and connect the point motors to the track bus and check the polarity switching. Should be ok.

I had to leave the goods area until last as the design of that "corner" still isn't set in stone.

Listening to Led Zeppelin's 2007 O2 concert VERY loud at the moment! Amazing (mood) music!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

Another productive day and time fora celebration.

After you've completed the last few bits of wiring, there will probably be nothing done for a few days for complete testing.

Duncan

After tomorrow I'm straight into building the valley sides/embankments and my "access" scheme. 

Maybe a loco or two running around while I'm drinking my coffee!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Congratulations on your first curtcit mate, I sure you will be eger to start and finish the second one even quicker.

I have been having a good read through and you have some great followers who really are interested in what you are doing.

Not long now and you will have all the wiring done and you will be back up to your eyeballs in plaster and ideas for the other valley.

Catch up again later

Bodgit :sungum:

Very perceptive, as usual!!

I replied to Duncan before I saw your post Andy. Yes, back to a bit of landscaping asap.

Btw, a couple of pics for YOU, Andy. I know you'll want to have me arrested.....

Yesterday, 2pm (almost 10 years to the day since I built it):

post-13778-0-94656700-1361994031_thumb.jpg

Today, 11am:

post-13778-0-30900400-1361994040_thumb.jpg

I have "rescued" quite a few of the rock faces...

Jeff

• Like 1

Very perceptive, as usual!!

I replied to Duncan before I saw your post Andy. Yes, back to a bit of landscaping asap.

Btw, a couple of pics for YOU, Andy. I know you'll want to have me arrested.....

Yesterday, 2pm (almost 10 years to the day since I built it):

attachicon.gif100_2784.JPG

Today, 11am:

attachicon.gif100_2787.JPG

I have "rescued" quite a few of the rock faces...

Jeff

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :O :o :O :o :O :o :O :o :O :o :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I can happily report that the Up (anticlockwise) mainline is now continuous and at 6.10pm the 9F ran around the circuit, in reverse, pushing a coach. Then in the forwards direction for several circuits.

No problems.

Jeff

Jeff,

Glad to see that you are nearly there and are running locos.

Have fun on the senics.  It is probably the time to have about 6 projects running to add to the variety.  If it wasn't so cold you could do operating sessions during your coffee breaks, perhaps in the spring.

In my packing today I came across 'A Tribute to the S&C' but it appeared to be mostly steam rail tours which was a disappointment as pictures of 50s workings or earlier would have been more ineresting.

In my packing today I came across 'A Tribute to the S&C' but it appeared to be mostly steam rail tours which was a disappointment as pictures of 50s workings or earlier would have been more ineresting.

The Roger Siviter book?  Yes, I've got a copy of that from way back - it is a bit of a disappointment now when I read all the captions...

Well done on the wiring Jeff.  And you're just making Andy jealous - I wouldn't be surprised to see him start a new project just so he can do the reverse of what you've done today - in the same time!

• RMweb Premium

..............etc

Jeff

:yahoo: Joining in your excitment, Jeff.   Nice work.

9F, too   :sungum:  but can you resist playtime testing the loop, I wonder?   :locomotive:

Need an excuse?

Have a break, have a loco lap.

Looking forward to the next bit.  :)

Polly

• RMweb Premium

It's a strange experience looking at a skip on the drive and realising that hundreds of hours of work lies smashed-up inside it.

I suppose we all get rid of previous projects as we move on. I tend to be a bit of a hoarder, but it's been surprisingly easy to look at something in the old layout room and just think "chuck!"

I can get rid of the thing now because at least I can run/test any new locos on the track in KL. And there are a few on pre-order!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

:yahoo: Joining in your excitment, Jeff.   Nice work.

9F, too   :sungum:  but can you resist playtime testing the loop, I wonder?   :locomotive:

Need an excuse?

Have a break, have a loco lap.

Looking forward to the next bit.  :)

Polly

Hi Polly.

When I came out of the bunker at 6.30ish I envisaged I'd be back in there tonight to have a play run-in session. It hasn't quite worked out like that. In fact, I found myself taking the hammer to more of the remnants of the old layout!

I think I've salvaged enough wood and screws to build the next AndyP-style baseboard!

I must thank a few of the Lunesters who've kept me on the right track. I'd get there in the end without any outside "coercion", but some of you are like catalysts - you certainly DO speed up the building process!

More playtime tomorrow, Polly. And now I've got the line working I'll have to revisit my wants list. And this'll please you - there's a Castle on it. Haven't looked to see what's available - knowing Hornby, nothing! 

Jeff

A happy dance for the first circuit. Always a fantastic moment. :danced: :danced: :yahoo: :yahoo: :dancer: :dancer:

I'm a firm believer in the old adage  "Test more, worry less" so plenty of circuits to be done whilst you think about sorting the 'Down Main'.now.

Anthony

• Like 1

More playtime tomorrow, Polly. And now I've got the line working I'll have to revisit my wants list. And this'll please you - there's a Castle on it. Haven't looked to see what's available - knowing Hornby, nothing

Jeff

Jeff

You know you want to scratch build it :sungum:

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Hi Polly.

When I came out of the bunker at 6.30ish I envisaged I'd be back in there tonight to have a play run-in session. It hasn't quite worked out like that. In fact, I found myself taking the hammer to more of the remnants of the old layout!

I think I've salvaged enough wood and screws to build the next AndyP-style baseboard!

I must thank a few of the Lunesters who've kept me on the right track. I'd get there in the end without any outside "coercion", but some of you are like catalysts - you certainly DO speed up the building process!

More playtime tomorrow, Polly. And now I've got the line working I'll have to revisit my wants list. And this'll please you - there's a Castle on it. Haven't looked to see what's available - knowing Hornby, nothing! 

Jeff

Recently bought Ince Castle (double chimney, late BR), Jeff   [donor for Carn Brae Castle], so there are still some around.  I've also seen some Tintagels around.  Scratch build may not be necessary, after all. :ok: :D

Carn Brae Castle at Southall 81C 1963

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/7566988358/

Polly

• RMweb Premium

Arh yes for one of those 'common' GW Castles, you don't have to scratchbuild, but for a Proper Castle you either have to kit build or Scratchbuild. My Proper Castle is slowly on its way to life.....

Ten Years from set track trainset to scale Railway, thats quite a journey. I hope you had a couple of Pints to celebrate?

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Morning Andy.

The "journey" is really 15ish years, as I returned to modelling after seeing Tetleys Mills in the first MR in 1997.

Even 2-3 years ago I was perfectly happy with my previous effort. Then you start to realise that you can do a better job, and the rot sets in!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman