Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Haworth photos. It's always good to see the K&WVR.

A fantastic set of photos from Peterborough - I had to make sure they were not of the lovely model - wrong era!

In C1708, the class 31 is 31207.

In C1695, I've enlarged the photo, and there is a possibility that the class 47 maybe 47208. But I could be wrong.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Is there actually any LNER or LMS sleepers left?

I do not know if it is still there but there was an LMS sleeper at Chappel many years ago acting as the Hilton [volunteers' hostel!].

Chris

• RMweb Gold

There are a couple of LMS design ones on the bluebell but they looked on their last legs when I saw them last year...

JF

And LNER at Boness IIRC

Vintage Carriage Survey website excellent resource for these queries

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Love the the triang high level piers at Radcliffe!

The problem with those post war sleepers is that most if not all were full of blue asbestos making any corrosion repairs difficult

Not sure if the 12w LMS one a Pickering got scrapped but the 8w one a Sheringham did but by the end of its use was absolutely rank.

Cheap mk3 sleepers in the 90s saw off a lot of older ones

Love the the triang high level piers at Radcliffe!

The problem with those post war sleepers is that most if not all were full of blue asbestos making any corrosion repairs difficult

Not sure if the 12w LMS one a Pickering got scrapped but the 8w one a Sheringham did but by the end of its use was absolutely rank.

Cheap mk3 sleepers in the 90s saw off a lot of older ones

I remember that one arriving at Sheringham, it was the height of luxury after what had come before it and from memory was BR build and seemed odd as it was dual heated but vac braked, presumably it had seen service on the WCML in the early days of electrification.

Sorry to hear of its demise, although not entirely surprised, it 's now nearly 40 years since its arrival.

• RMweb Gold

It must be getting on for 20 years now since it was cut up.

Think it was a WCML one, I seem to remember when I first saw it it was blue and grey with Inter-city sleeper on it

Were you a volunteer on the NNR then?

Sadly by the time the BR Built / LMS deign sleepers were bought for preservation (the one I had a share in, Sleeper Third M622M was bought circa 1978)? they were already in very poor condition.  Where the exterior panels had rotted away the interiors and woodwork had suffered  badly - not helped by being sprayed with Limpet Asbestos and layers of asbestos sheeting between the panels and up over the roof. The underframe was lined almost to the full depth of the solebars with almost 6" of Blue asbestos - without being fully stripped very little could be done to stall the rot.  622 lasted till the late 80s before it was finally cut up.  Thanks to Robert Carroll, here it is in rather happier days. https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/13702144364/ Thank goodness for DaveF and his Dad recording these things for posterity (Edited to remove duff spelling in the last para)!

Edited by Bob-65b

I stayed over several times in a ex LMS 12 wheel sleeper at Chappel and Wakes Colne when i was a volunteer there in the late 70's. It was blue and grey and had ETH if i remember correctly. Are there any photo's of it there?

• RMweb Gold

I stayed over several times in a ex LMS 12 wheel sleeper at Chappel and Wakes Colne when i was a volunteer there in the late 70's. It was blue and grey and had ETH if i remember correctly. Are there any photo's of it there?

I can't find any photos of it in my collection.

David

Thanks David.

I have some of those Fairburn tanks underlined in my early 60s ABC; but most were Kirkby-In-Ashfield based. As I never remember visiting that location, I assumed I must have seen them at Midland but had no idea why. Now I have discovered the most likely reason.

53 years later, and another mystery is solved. One of the marvels of the internet.

Thanks once again.