Hornby Class 87 - Confirmed Newly Tooled Version for 2017 !

ThaneofFife

A welcome announcement, but if Virgin isn't being produced gives me a chance to finnish off my Lima model. Initial comments; not sure about the moulded on jumpers, and now Ive had a chance to look at the pictures on here, yes the side grill vents being proud of the upper bodyside is a little odd, other it looks a nice model, look forward to seeing more EPs etc

NL

Looking at the EP, I have an impression that it is a 3D print rather than a tooling EP. You probably cannot get the print fine enough for the side grills and things, likewise any jumpers would look moulded.

Hopefully this will be explained in the next engine shed. Last thing Hornby or anyone else wants is an expensive OH electric not much better than the Limby one it replaces.

I was told a virgin 87 is planned in batch 2.

I assume the loco couplings will follow the recent standard Hornby practice of being body as opposed to (as Bachmann do) being bogie mounted? I am sure people can point to for and againsts for both but in my person experience the Hornby solution gives me no end of trouble, mostly with double heading but also while hauling on very tight curves (coupling rarely swings back to centre). I have never tried push-pull operation (as of course is prototypical with an 87) with a body mounted coupling but I can see this being interesting and a potential problem!

• Like 1

Pushing with the Heljan 86 was alright although the coupling is a bit flimsy so in my experience it bends, and the buffers push on the corridor connector. I think for the 87 it will pretty much be bolted to a WC set for me, so I will investigate a more substantial semi permanent solution.

At the same time the HST coupling is pretty resilient when pushing.

• RMweb Gold

I assume the loco couplings will follow the recent standard Hornby practice of being body as opposed to (as Bachmann do) being bogie mounted? I am sure people can point to for and againsts for both but in my person experience the Hornby solution gives me no end of trouble, mostly with double heading but also while hauling on very tight curves (coupling rarely swings back to centre). I have never tried push-pull operation (as of course is prototypical with an 87) with a body mounted coupling but I can see this being interesting and a potential problem!

Would Kadees as replacements help ?

The fact that it doesn't match the image of the CAD work, tells me that the 3D print's CAD was probably altered a bit (for the very reason of printers having limitations).
https://admin.Hornby.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Class-87-A-2.jpg

If anyone is interested in asking any question's I will be sending one of the reps at Hornby an email. I'll be most happy to pass on any comments and get their take on it.

That could be an illusion accentuated by the handrails that are curved concave in the middle. It is a 3D print though so we can't go by it too much. 

For what it's worth, the front windscreens don't look wide or tall enough and for some reason I'm reminded of a Blackpool tram because of this.

post-7003-0-85786100-1480332131_thumb.jpg

The recessed glazing of the 3D print hinders comparing the window size, as your eye picks up the solidness of the inside of the window frame. However, to my eyes, the depth of yellow showing below the lip of the cab roof suggests to me that the front cab windows do need heightening slightly.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gif87029_05_C.jpg

The recessed glazing of the 3D print hinders comparing the window size, as your eye picks up the solidness of the inside of the window frame. However, to my eyes, the depth of yellow showing below the lip of the cab roof suggests to me that the front cab windows do need heightening slightly.

That comparison also shows a significant discretion in the shape of the rain strip over the cab door, but I think we need to wait until we see a better CAD image as the 3D print seems to have a lot of compromise.

The front of the cab roof on the print is also wrong, the real thing is not a single curve, it is two flat panels with straight edges and a distinct "widow's peak" at the join whereas the shadow on the 3D print would suggest that it has been modelled as a single curved panel.

See the red line on this and compare to the unmarked photo in the quoted post.

post-6674-0-36774700-1480335346_thumb.jpg

post-6674-0-99137600-1480335492.png

Andi

Edited by Dagworth

• RMweb Gold

Have you seen this thread? http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/117322-warley/

Tell them directly, they are all ears and I can vouch for them listening at Warley.

My pre-order is with my retailer.

With the 87 taken care off, this leaves the 81 to 84 classes for the future.

Looking at some of the shots,  the "garden shed" mid-roof  there may be a changeover switch for track or overhead pantograph power collection

Edited by Pandora

With the 87 taken care off, this leaves the 81 to 84 classes for the future.

And the Class 86.  Heljan have given up on their version and the current Hornby model is almost as old as the old Lima 87.  Plus the 86 came in more versions than the 86/2, so the AL6/86 is a wide open goal at the moment, which hopefully Hornby might well be plugging as we speak.

Looking at some of the shots,  the "garden shed" mid-roof  there may be a changeover switch for track or overhead pantograph power collection

The "Garden Shed" is the transformer header tank, and the bit sticking out that I think you're referring to is the explosion vent that is supposed to be there.

We'll have to wait and see what Hornby do about a changeover switch, but I doubt it'll have one if they've said it'll use their non-functioning plastic High speed pan.

• RMweb Premium

The Hornby 86 was a very good model in its day apart from the truly hideous pantograph. With a decent pantograph it can be made very presentable. In fact I thought that the ultimate indictment of the Heljan model was that despite a far better mechanism and some lovely under frame detail the overall impression didn't move things on much further than the old Hornby model.

• RMweb Gold

Older I believe.

Andi

According to the oracle (Pat Hammond) Hornby were going to do a class 87, but they switched to the class 86 when they learned Lima were already doing one. Hornby's 86 came out in 1981, but I'm not sure when Lima's 87 became available...though ISTR a review in MRC in late-1979 or possibly 1980? Anyway I'm pleased we will get another after 37-odd years...

Edited by stovepipe

Well the latest Engine Shed notes the need to present a full range so that something appeals to everyone, so I think the omens look good for an 86 or an 87 this year. Add to this DJM saying he wasn't progressing an 86 or 87 because there were two manufacturers working on both, then I think the announcement of the 2017 range could be pretty interesting

DJM has also dropped a hint, the class 84, the NRM loco,  was being looked at by another manufacturer.