• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, newbryford said:

Waits for the cries of:

"The Eurostar is one of ours" from somewhere in Kent

THE EUROSTAR IS ONE OF OURS.....😆

Well, you didn't specify which part of Kent 🤭

• Funny 9

I may as well go all in and ask for a new Pendolino too. I never got on with the single powered bogie in that - it just made them like buckaroos at the slightest blip of power, or when slowing down, or when speeding up......

😅

Edited by 60800

1 hour ago, 60800 said:

I may as well go all in and ask for a new Pendolino too. I never got on with the single powered bogie in that - it just made them like buckaroos at the slightest blip of power, or when slowing down, or when speeding up......

😅

Slight tangent, but I had forgotten Dapol did a Pendolino until I came across an old magazine recently.

3 hours ago, Csalem said:

Slight tangent, but I had forgotten Dapol did a Pendolino until I came across an old magazine recently.

No lights and didn't tilt though, IIRC?

Cheers,

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Csalem said:

It did have a bit of a weird profile and IIRC it was nicknamed the Pendodildo.......

• Funny 6

23 hours ago, 60800 said:

No lights and didn't tilt though, IIRC?

Cheers,

Hattons have one in stock and box says it does have headlights and does tilt, but lights only in direction of travel:

https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklistdatabase/7079/dapol_d390_pendolino_4_car_emu_in_virgin_livery_390_002_red_revolution_/stockdetail

It is like one of those curiosities lost to the mists of time.

Edited by Csalem

You know, I've been trying to collect the Hornby super-detailed Pullmans for the VSOE/Belmond Pullman consists. (For those that don't, it appears to consist of Audrey, Cygnus, Gwen, Ibis, Ione, Lucille, Minerva, Perseus, Phoenix, Vera, Zena.)

As nice as they are, they are pretty wrong and incomplete. Most of the umber samples are much brighter than Hornbys, different buffer markings, darker wheel colourings (some with white lining). I can't find any recorded history of Hornby producing superdetailed Gwen, Phoenix or Vera.

In addition, the Belmond additional support coaches don't seem to have been produced (or in some cases, even tooled).

• Baggage Car No.11 /99545/35466 - Mk1 BSK - Brake Second Corridor
  • 92167/6313 - Mk1 BG -Brake Gangwayed Generator Van 
  • 9502 - Mk2 BSO - Brake Standard Open

So for one of the most luxurious trains, it's odd that it's never been fully realized in OO.

• Agree 2

42 minutes ago, McC said:

We certainly think a 30,31,37,55,92, Manor, and , ahem, more, as well as Mark 1,2,5 are models that will see repeats every 18,24,36 months.

A quote from the Manor pages. 

Mark 1?

And at a push 1,2,5….? 

Mm…. 🧐

• Agree 2

On 07/07/2022 at 23:30, Delta_Who said:

You know, I've been trying to collect the Hornby super-detailed Pullmans for the VSOE/Belmond Pullman consists. (For those that don't, it appears to consist of Audrey, Cygnus, Gwen, Ibis, Ione, Lucille, Minerva, Perseus, Phoenix, Vera, Zena.)

As nice as they are, they are pretty wrong and incomplete. Most of the umber samples are much brighter than Hornbys, different buffer markings, darker wheel colourings (some with white lining). I can't find any recorded history of Hornby producing superdetailed Gwen, Phoenix or Vera.

In addition, the Belmond additional support coaches don't seem to have been produced (or in some cases, even tooled).

• Baggage Car No.11 /99545/35466 - Mk1 BSK - Brake Second Corridor
  • 92167/6313 - Mk1 BG -Brake Gangwayed Generator Van 
  • 9502 - Mk2 BSO - Brake Standard Open

So for one of the most luxurious trains, it's odd that it's never been fully realized in OO.

The Hornby ones are correct for steam era Pullmans.

The VSOE cars were rebuilt in the 1970s and painted in the later version of Pullman livery that arrived with the BR Mark One Pullman Cars built in 1960. Hornby have never made them in preserved condition.

That's why people keep incorrectly saying either the Bachmann or Hornby ones must be wrong. They're both right. If you look at colour photos of Queen Of Scots and The Yorkshire Pullman with the BR Pullman Cars, the Brake Cars are a noticeably different colour to the rest of the train. 

Jason

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

The Hornby ones are correct for steam era Pullmans.

The VSOE cars were rebuilt in the 1970s and painted in the later version of Pullman livery that arrived with the BR Mark One Pullman Cars built in 1960. Hornby have never made them in preserved condition.

That's why people keep incorrectly saying either the Bachmann or Hornby ones must be wrong. They're both right. If you look at colour photos of Queen Of Scots and The Yorkshire Pullman with the BR Pullman Cars, the Brake Cars are a noticeably different colour to the rest of the train. 

Jason

Only catch is... Hornby produced alot of those Pullmans under (what was supposed to be) VSOE era... which I believe was 1982 onwards. This includes stock under R1073 or the extension R4254. And then further did the Belmond Type K cars (Ione, Lucille and Zena). So it feels like Hornby hallucinated twice and decided to stick with their current umber.

On 06/07/2022 at 12:24, 60800 said:

@McC I reckon you guys are just about mad enough to be preparing an all new, all singing and dancing Class 373 Eurostar with all coach variants tooled ready for Eurotunnel's 30th anniversary in 2024.

You could do two Anniversary packs (plus some anniversary 92's such as 92001 as built) - one Eurostar in original livery, the other in current livery and then coach packs similar to how you are selling the Mk.5's.

Not only can you do these, you could do the shorter North London sets in both de-branded Eurostar and GNER White Rose liveries as running on the ECML in the early 2000's 

My first run on the ECML was on a White Rose set Doncaster - KGX so I would quite like one

Cheers,

Well if Islesy ever goes to Exotic Kingsbury, there is always a chance.  Don't really think that there would be much call for a Eurostar really........Electrostar perhaps as a play on words, but for a real Electric - Class 442 would be fabulous, plus with it based on MK3 principles, is there any synergy?  To go with the ultimate HST that A/S could do?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Torbay Express said:

Well if Islesy ever goes to Exotic Kingsbury, there is always a chance.  Don't really think that there would be much call for a Eurostar really........Electrostar perhaps as a play on words, but for a real Electric - Class 442 would be fabulous, plus with it based on MK3 principles, is there any synergy?  To go with the ultimate HST that A/S could do?

The body shell of the 442s has quite a few differences from the conventional Mark 3, so while there might be 'synergy', I believe they'd have to be two different CADs and toolings, so no cost savings really.

13 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

The body shell of the 442s has quite a few differences from the conventional Mark 3, so while there might be 'synergy', I believe they'd have to be two different CADs and toolings, so no cost savings really.

What are the differences as I thought these would be a good match? Of course there is the cab to be moulded and different underbody and window details on the middle coach, however I would expect (although certainly not an expert) these to be new tooling 'modules' rather than complete retooling? Are the coaches a different length or proportion and I've just missed that fact? 

• RMweb Premium

The powered plug type doors are very different to the slams on the conventional Mk3s, for a start. There are other detail differences I'm sure, but I'm not knowledgeable enough of those to cover them.

https://sremg.org.uk/emu/class442.shtml

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=mark+3+coach&t=ffsb&iax=images&ia=images

The links above have images that can show the differences.

Edit: this thread, unfortunately lacking pictures, describes a 7mm Mark 3 to 442 conversion, and some of the 'butchery' required:

Edited by Ian J.

4 hours ago, MoonM said:

What are the differences as I thought these would be a good match? Of course there is the cab to be moulded and different underbody and window details on the middle coach, however I would expect (although certainly not an expert) these to be new tooling 'modules' rather than complete retooling? Are the coaches a different length or proportion and I've just missed that fact? 

I'd be surprised if they made a modular tool to cover an EMU and a coach. For starters I expect a lot of the detail parts will be different which then just makes things get to the point where the mouldings are too modular for their own good.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

In the case of the Class 442, the power car owes much to earlier designs. In traction terms, it's a recycled 4-REP (Mk1 EMU) power car in a Mk3 shell.

[[EDIT} ...like it's daddy, IIRC,  it's only 64' long, too...[Not Recalled Correctly!]

Edited by Dunsignalling
Correction

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

In the case of the Class 442, the power car owes much to earlier designs than the Mk3, despite looking like the latter. Mechanically, it's a recycled 4-REP (Mk1 EMU) power car in Mk3 (ish) clothing, and like it's daddy, IIRC,  it's only 64' long, too.

I don't remember ever thinking the centre power car was shorter than the rest of the cars in all the times I'd seen or travelled on them. I've just tried to find a decent side on pic on internet, but couldn't find anything suitable that would be clear.

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

I don't remember ever thinking the centre power car was shorter than the rest of the cars in all the times I'd seen or travelled on them. I've just tried to find a decent side on pic on internet, but couldn't find anything suitable that would be clear.

I think you are correct about the length being uniform with the other cars. No reference found that it's otherwise. My memory playing tricks!

John

6 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

I think you are correct about the length being uniform with the other cars. No reference found that it's otherwise. My memory playing tricks!

John

Just looked in my P5 199x Combined volume - shows vehicle lengths as 22.57m, non stand out as different in the text.

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Torbay Express said:

Just looked in my P5 199x Combined volume - shows vehicle lengths as 22.57m, non stand out as different in the text.

Just checked a couple of mine with the same result....

Have suitably corrected my earlier post.

Edited by Dunsignalling

For what it's worth, the Irish mk3 coaches all had automatic plug doors from new. They never had slam doors except for the galley access I believe. I think the window may be ever so slightly smaller though, despite it being of the same sash type, but that could be the black seals simply being painted over giving that impression:

Irish Rail "7103" at Inchicore.