SWAG Member's Day - 24th April 2022

Stubby47

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Stubby47 said:

Sorry about that. Perhaps next year we should all wear polo neck jumpers?

I can see SheepBloke in a black polo neck jumper, and CK in one too but with a beret. I wasn't convinced that his latest headwear fashion would catch on...

IMG_20220424_100206.jpg.f7210a005c3b337b9c83e521f35e3268.jpg

IMG_20220424_100159.jpg.a350fdcde60650e0d2ce0a0751bc3f0e.jpg

• Like 4
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, SouthernRegionSteam said:

First up, Graham brought along a couple of Kernow Railmotors; strategicly placing them around the room, both on the fiddle yard of Polsarrett...

1090285476_SWAG22-KernowRailmotor(Copy).JPG.1db1b3e7a97799cec34cd3368e0cc4a1.JPG

...and on one of Phil's dioramas...

757683946_SWAG22-KernowRailmotor2(Copy).JPG.853e2508bc8188990fc757967757eaae.JPG

I have to say, regardless of being a Southern man, they looked bloody great; the detail and the valvegear in particular is mindboggling!

Also a Southern sort of gink, I think the splendidly restored prototype is simply wonderful, so I will certainly be in the market for one, too.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, SouthernRegionSteam said:

Alright, let's start things off with some miscellaneous shots!

First up, Graham brought along a couple of Kernow Railmotors; strategicly placing them around the room, both on the fiddle yard of Polsarrett...

1090285476_SWAG22-KernowRailmotor(Copy).JPG.1db1b3e7a97799cec34cd3368e0cc4a1.JPG

...and on one of Phil's dioramas...

757683946_SWAG22-KernowRailmotor2(Copy).JPG.853e2508bc8188990fc757967757eaae.JPG

I have to say, regardless of being a Southern man, they looked bloody great; the detail and the valvegear in particular is mindboggling!

We'll come back to Phil's dioramas in the next post, but on the same theme I did bring along a couple of my latest dioramas that I had produced for BRM:

795368269_SWAG22-Mydioramas(Copy).JPG.6c503d262ae192437232718aca079baa.JPG

Thank you to Rob for finding a spare table for me to plonk them on!

Anyway, at some point during the day, some lovely buildings appeared next to my dioramas. I apologise, but I have no idea who made them, but they are certainly exquisite:

46206397_SWAG22-Stonebuildings(1)(Copy).jpg.b997b071e90b1971b997cf65bdcc51f0.jpg

1466606282_SWAG22-Stonebuildings(2)(Copy).jpg.bb957d48a7ba6ef2ef52fc33bd1bc8ac.jpg

804823135_SWAG22-Stonebuildings(3)(Copy).jpg.f7339746bffe9688f9bdefbb3884b8f9.jpg

If someone knows the owner/builder, do let me know so I can credit them properly! Unless I find some more photos later on, I think that's it for the misc pile (don't worry, I think I managed to avoid pointing the camera at other people and their... delightful shirts)...

The cottage and exquisitely detailed barn/workshop are by ‘Ladmanlow’ Al. 

Jay

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, SouthernRegionSteam said:

Anyway, at some point during the day, some lovely buildings appeared next to my dioramas. I apologise, but I have no idea who made them

Sorry Jamie, that'd be me. Rob wanted to see the "Land Rover in a shed" that was inspired in part by Mick Bonwick, and the other building is a model of my parent's house.

Al.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Bit late in commenting as always, but massive thanks to Rob & Stu for putting this together. A really impressive line up - particularly pleased to have been able to see Penmaenbach in reality; this plus Ewe, Polsarret an Lanmanlow  all showed how much can be distilled into a small space without loosing realism. All the other layouts were brilliant in their own ways.

As others have said, it really did seem like the last 2 missing years hadn't happened and we all seemed to fall into our usual mix of banter, informative chat and cake eating! Good to see so many familiar faces again and a shame some couldn't make it. I could easily have spent much longer there but domestic chores called out - coming back from holiday the night before and getting ready for school & work today needed time at home.

Thanks to Jamie for steadily filling the thread with high class images too!

• Like 8
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you so much, Jamie!

A couple of points - yes, it's the Faller car system, and the lighting uses two strips of LEDS - one white light and one colour variable. After setting up the layout, we turned off the white light and just used the colour variable one set to a pink-ish hue and with the brightness turned down a lot. The layout does work best in a gloomy environment which is how it's set up at home.

Most of the building lighting is via the Woodland Scenics Just-Plug system which also includes the timing module.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi folks.

Just wanted to say, I had a great day at Sunday's SWAG do. Big thanks to everyone involved in setting it up. As ever, it was of the highest standard.

It was so nice to bump into so many old pals, and like-minded model rail fans. I had some great chats with friends old & new.
Thanks to @Barry Tenfor the invitation to come along & help with his superb French layout. Once again, it was something "a bit different" to the other layouts - each of which were also fantastic to see. Thanks also to @wenlockwho was a member of the "L'heur Bleue" team. We were also on the train that was held up by sheep - but we had our own theory as to the cause of the hold-up.... this included another member of the SWAG team, who shall remain nameless ;) 

Nice photos of the layout too btw @SouthernRegionSteam- here's to next years event :)  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Jamie for some wonderful photographs of Ladmanlow, and your kind comments.

Your added background views are very much in keeping with the Derbyshire moorlands as well, and look great, thank you.

You are welcome to come and stand in front of Ladmanlow anytime, bizzarely the recalcitrant locomotive waited until you had moved on and then threw another hissy fit, so it was definitely your influence on the day...

Thank you to all who came and chatted, we were made to feel really welcome, despite being Northern interlopers into the South West.

Al.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, SouthernRegionSteam said:

I've never known my presence to have that sort of effect on a locomotive.

Good job I wasn't there. I usually manage the opposite.

• Funny 3