RMweb - Change of hosting, missing images - April 2022

I've had to spend a few days interacting with friends and family! They seem like lovely people.

Thanks for all the hard work bringing this back. Can appreciate first-hand what it's like somewhat on a much smaller scale. So dread to think what a forum of this size was like.

Keep it up. Also, big yessss for the new emoji characters! Loving that. 🤪

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 3

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, bridgiesimon said:

I am not sure that I can think of appropriate words to use to describe my level of frustration today!!!

We've done what we can, some may still appear.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

5 hours ago, woodenhead said:

I had to start reading Reddit as an alternative to RMWeb, so I am really glad it's back there is only so much talk of the Oscars and fake controversy I can stand.

Clearly you haven't yet seen the footage of Andy slapping the Chairman of Dediserve.... 😉

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 14

1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

We've done what we can, some may still appear.

totally get that and understand how much hard work you guys have had to do to ensure we all can carry on using this amazing resource so please dont think of me as not being appreciative of your effort, I am also aware this was not of your doing either lol!!

Best wishes

Simon

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

One of the problems with re-posting images is that mine are posted from three different PCs, some pictures on one are not on another.......

Most are probably inconsequential anyway🙂

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Another big vote of thanks from here to Andy and the team.

However although I'm very happy we're back I have to advise you that the Management at GDB towers will now be getting pretty p!ssed off with you - and me!  Over the past few days she has been able to get me to do all sorts of extra domestic tasks that I wouldn't normally do and also persuaded me to paint my shed (which I kept putting off) clean the conservatory gutters and roof and other unpleasant stuff like gardening and shopping and even paying attention to her.  I'll have to get my ear defenders out of the cupboard.  😁

• Like 2
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Can I add my thanks too. I can only guess at how frustrating it has been for you. No worry about the lost images; when things have settled down I can always go back and add those missing to my postings.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Great to see RMweb back in steam and many thanks for the hard work getting it there.  As for Dediserve, in the words of Terry Thomas - what an absolute shower.  Data loss is the IT services sin that will not be forgiven.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Tallpaul69 said:

the button at bottom right of the screen that takes you straight up to the top of the page!

I need to get old and new accounts linked before I can resolve that.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It is great to have the site back. What a carry on it has been with Dediserve. I’m just relieved it has not been worse with all images lost. Finally, I can’t find out where you upload a picture for an avatar, there’s nothing in my profile, unless it’s elsewhere.

Rob.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Following the reboot the RAID array showed a single drive had dropped from the array and the controller was attempting to rebuild it back into the array. A second drive in the array indicated that it was predicted to fail.

I used to be a data recovery engineer (I also wrote our utilities) and it's not at all uncommon for multiple drives to fail in rapid succession. For this reason well run data centres ensure that the drives in their arrays do not have sequential or even near-sequential serial numbers.

Mind you the other point of failure was the RAID controller because most arrays only have one of those. It also turned out that a lot of arrays stored all their configuration information on the controller and could not rebuild their array without it. Still - it all earned us a fair bit of money over the years. They could be a bit tricky for us to work out the original config but we always managed it. Although I remember one case where the array turned out to be a collection of volumes some of which were RAIDed through software. We earned our money on that one.

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

As has already been said, 'Thank You' seems totally inadequate at times like this.

it has truly been a case of not fully appreciating something until you don have it.

One suggestion @Andy Y can you make sure your holiday booking system is totally separate from RMWeb, then it won't plan to thro a wobbly every time you take a holiday. :)

PS: One plus to the new set up; viewing on a tablet I can now see the comments members have added on their profiles, which were previously only visible when viewed on a PC or laptop.

Edited by rab
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tallpaul69 said:

One thing I miss, but can live with for a while, is the button at bottom right of the screen that takes you straight up to the top of the page!

If you are on a PC, press the CTRL+HOME keys. Or CTRL+END keys to go to the bottom. Works on any web site.

Martin.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

They could be a bit tricky for us to work out the original config but we always managed it.

You obviously had more monkeys to give than Dediserve did.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

You obviously had more monkeys to give than Dediserve did.

We were more determined from the sound of it :)

But it could be an interesting example of a human's pattern recognition. The way RAIDs usually work is by XORing a group of sectors together and putting the result on one of the drives. The trick was to be able tell the difference between 'normal' binary data and something that was an XOR of the other drives. Our disk viewer (wot I wrote) could show sectors from multiple drives at the same time. It was surprising how often the engineer could spot which one was the XOR.

The problem with that big job was that we had (I think - it was over 20 years ago) three XORs in some areas of the arrat (one from the array itself and up to others courtesy of a software RAID).

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

A single drive failure taking down a RAID array, sounds like RAID5. You are just praying that a second drive doesn't go under during a rebuild.  Keeping backups on the same array as primary data is just a no. Sounds like Dediserve really did not think out their systems at all.

Andy + Team. Lots of hard work and frustrations that were needless if Dediserve had set systems up properly. Thank you for your continued efforts to keep a thriving model railway forum going. 

It's a shame to have lost data - but thankfully we've not lost the community.

(Edit: I was interested in how big your data set is/was, I can only think it'd be into three, maybe four figures in gigabyte terms due to photos)

Edited by maq1988
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1