RMweb - Change of hosting, missing images - April 2022

54 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Just to think my Windows 3 PC had 170MB and that was way above the normal for the time.

I think my 386 PC might have been running Win 95 on an 80MB hard disk, my first major upgrade was to a 240MB HDD.  It seemed a major increase in capacity at the time!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

When I upgraded from MS DOS  to Windows 3.1, my PC at the time had a 40Mb hard drive which was only about 80% full when I replaced the PC for one with a dvd drive and speakers! Anyone remember Encarta and web page directories?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 minutes ago, Neil P said:

Perhaps taking regular backups rather than relying on the hosting provider to do it would be a good idea in future?

Easier said than done when it comes to terabytes, even low terabytes of data over long distance links. And in some circumstances a regular on line backup may even be enough line data to  affect the hosting costs.
Also restore times over the wire may be horrendous. I recall one disaster recovery I had to do over WAN links which took over a week to get everything back. 
Feel for the guys, been there more than once, got the T shirts.  Its something I wonder about with RAID5. The chances of two separate failures may be tiny, but when all the disks are identical and from the same batch maybe they aren't as tiny as one might hope. 

Edited by JimC
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Good evening Andy,

As you well know, computers, websites and the like are a total mystery to me. 

It's thus that I say I admire your expertise and fortitude in being able to bring RMweb back on line.

So, thanks for all your hard work and diligence.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Good to be back. 

Now where did I leave my avatar? 

Maybe it's time for a new one.

Thanks for all the hard work in getting us back on line.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all your hard work. Pity about the pictures as some very useful stuff has disappeared, although looking at my attachments it seems to be random. Personally I have never trusted cloud computing and anything of mine regarded as important or of potential future use is saved twice away from any of my computers. I appreciate that isn't always possible with something of the scale of Rmweb but some very salutary lessons were learned in the early days of office computing.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Personally I have never trusted cloud computing and anything of mine regarded as important or of potential future use is saved twice away from any of my computers

On a business scale backups are important - but a lot of people miss just how important backups for home are as well.

It's actually World Backup Day today... how fitting.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, JimC said:

Easier said than done when it comes to terabytes, even low terabytes of data over long distance links. And in some circumstances a regular on line backup may even be enough line data to  affect the hosting costs.
Also restore times over the wire may be horrendous. I recall one disaster recovery I had to do over WAN links which took over a week to get everything back. 
Feel for the guys, been there more than once, got the T shirts.  Its something I wonder about with RAID5. The chances of two separate failures may be tiny, but when all the disks are identical and from the same batch maybe they aren't as tiny as one might hope. 

A daily incremental backup doesn't cost much more in terms of bandwidth. Everything that's been backed up has already been uploaded to the server that day, and it's probably been downloaded to people's web clients many more times. It's not just a "nice to have" if you're running a commercial website.

I agree that restore times over the net can be horrendous, but it would only be required in a disaster-recovery situation, which is exactly where rmweb has ended up. Some hosting providers will let you courier magnetic or flash media to them if required.

Hindsight is a great thing, and I feel sorry for the guy that's had to cancel his holiday, but someone in the organisation should have planned for this.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Well done and thank you to Andy and everyone else involved in getting RMweb back on track.

Of course, I didn't miss it at all🍌

Hell, I think these new emoticons are pretty cool too👺🧥👜🍄 👙

V(virtual)UNHCR were apparently getting pretty worried about the makeshift camps of refugees in neighbouring territories, the usual problems, petty crime, lack of sanitation, wish lists, you know the sort of thing.....

It is a pity about the pictures I guess, but how much worse would it have been if the pictures were there but there were no words(!) 

Just think of all the pointless guff we'd be missing out on!

Soz, that was a bit rude.

Joking apart, it has been a very strange virtual world without RMweb, it is absolutely embedded in so much of the internet. For example how many searches on numerous subjects by now return results for information that is on RMweb - many thousands I think.

And then there are all the virtual friendships and conversations it facilitates, think of all the people you'd not hear from again if RMweb were to really disappear for good(!!) And the many benefits it affords all of us, model producers,  publishers, modellers experienced and new, just anyone interested in the world of model railways.

Mind boggling - the good things that flow from RMweb are many and varied, long may it continue.

Moving on to more serious matters, whatever did happen to that nice chap and his "Electricnose"😳

Thank you for returning, really.

Simon

Edited by Not Jeremy
additional underwear
  • Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Neil P said:

I don't want to be *that* person, and I appreciate all the work the team have put in restoring the site, but are the RMWeb team taking any responsibility for the failure and loss of service or is it just a case of blaming it on Dediserve? After all, a lot of people have lost photos that they uploaded for the benefit of helping other modellers.

Perhaps taking regular backups rather than relying on the hosting provider to do it would be a good idea in future?

You plainly DO  want to be that person. Perhaps everyone involved with RMweb should be fired? Would that be sufficient punishment for us all? Or do you want more? 

Of course, with no staff, RMweb would be gone, which presumably you'd be happy with too. 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 4
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

I think to look for a scapegoat within the Rmweb team to 'take responsibility' is grossly unfair and simply wrong to even suggest it. 

I'm not looking for a scapegoat. I feel sorry for the guy who had to cancel his holiday.

There's been a lot of fingers pointed at Dediserve, who have clearly messed up, but I don't understand why it's wrong to suggest that the rmweb team should consider how they might have done things differently.

• Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, Harlequin said:

It's great to be back!

......................P.S. What's a "knobber"??? 

A Nob,  Toss Pot, Prick, Ring Piece, Cock-Womble 🤣 etc  

Edited by Knuckles
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

Can we have the email addresses of Dediserve's senior management, so we can express our personal appreciation of losing most of the content we've spent quite a bit of time creating?

Mark

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2