RMweb - Change of hosting, missing images - April 2022

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations on getting back online Team! I sincerely hope this is motivation for the big RMweb parents to realise that a site the scale of here needs proper architecture, investment and management and hopefully the bills from Invision won't be too big!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for all your hard work, as well as those helping you.

I'm looking forward to posting again.

I have copies of all my images so I can put them back, probably as new posts.

David

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to Andy and the RMWeb team for getting the site up and working again. Quite surprised how much I missed it when not there.

Now are there any new Accurascale announcements that I’ve missed… 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AY Mod said:
  • The uploaded images from the last year could, sadly, not be recovered from Dediserve. Older images should be largely intact although further checks are being made. Users will be able to edit earlier posts and re-upload images if they wish. It’s far from ideal and I’m furious with Dediserve for their failings in this regard.

I started my blog in March 2015 and images are missing going back to the first post. Efforts spread over seven years seem to be ruined.

I wonder ... can I expect to see any of my missing photos restored during the next month or so? So I can decide whether to accept my losses, or try to rebuild the blog, or abandon the project altogether.

- Richard.

Edited by 47137
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

5 minutes ago, 47137 said:

I started my blog in March 2015 and images are missing going back to the first post. Seven years of effort seem to be ruined.

I wonder ... can I expect to see any of my missing photos restored during the next month or so? So I can decide whether to accept my losses, or try to rebuild the blog, or abandon the project altogether.

- Richard.

It might take time for the photos to reappear, hopefully all but the last year will be recovered.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Ooh, it’s good to have RMWeb back. Thanks to Andy for his hard work, and I’ll try and re-upload my pics to my own thread over the coming weeks.

Good riddance to “Dead-from-the-neck-up-iserve”, I say.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, russ p said:

Well done to all that got it sorted.  Is the lost data permanent?  

As they have messed you about so much is it worth looking at other hosts ?

As Andy has said, they have moved the hosting from Dediserve to Invision. Unfortunately, the images from the last year can't be recovered due to Dediserve's data centre failure, but everything before that is backed up, so should be OK. However i'm sure it's a huge amount of data to process through, so I wouldn't expect all the photos to display for at least a week while the system in the background re-indexes everything.

I should add my thanks too, to Andy and the team for all their hard work to get RMWeb back up and running so quickly after such a catastrophic failure. I am indebted to Andy's forethought to back up the SQL database, as I would never have remembered all the word i'd written over the past 6 years. Fortunately I have kept copies of all the photos I ever uploaded locally, so they can be re-uploaded if any are missing.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, dunwurken said:

One small irritation, I am still getting intrusive adverts.

That's nothing to do with the migration. The ways to not get adverts has been done to death - go Gold or hold on into next week and I may have an update on Silver.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Great to have you back it has been sorely missed and looking at the amount of new content it has been missed by many. I completely sympathies with you Andy it really has been an arduous task which should never occurred, 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Yay. RM's back. My eBay account can take a step back from the hammering it's been getting. My roundtoit pile has been suffering inflation in the last week.

Thanks Andy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Titan said:

It might take time for the photos to reappear, hopefully all but the last year will be recovered.

It is interesting that the old images report 'Access Denied' rather than not found when you click on an old image link and try to open it in another window.