Hornby cancel Titfield Thunderbolt

JohnR

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, wombatofludham said:

Time for the closing credits and the mad dash for the exits before the National Anthem.

Interesting that they have released this.

Was this public disclosure mandated as part of a legal settlement? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Was this public disclosure mandated as part of a legal settlement? 

The part where they say 

acknowledges and accepts that Studiocanal owns the licensing rights to the ‘Thunderbolt’ locomotive as depicted in the ‘Titfield Thunderbolt’ film as well as Dan Taylor’s grounded carriage body.  Hornby also acknowledges and accepts that Studiocanal owns the title rights to the films ‘Titfield Thunderbolt’ and ‘The Lady with a Lamp’.

suggests they were.

• Like 1
  • Agree 12

2 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

interesting Lady with the lamp has been pulled as well, i thought Hornby did have the rights to this, maybe SC pulled that as well

Rapido and SC, between them, made it pretty clear that Hornby didn't.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

interesting Lady with the lamp has been pulled as well, i thought Hornby did have the rights to this, maybe SC pulled that as well

I suspect that the "Lady with the Lamp" was a bit of a fig-leaf to justify the snipe at the "Titfield Thunderbolt".

Given how Hornby usually behave it does make me think they were strong armed into this announcement.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 12

• RMweb Premium

Well what a surprise !

I think most folks , except Hornby Management , could see this coming 

Inspired by ..................No not really 

Another interesting installment for Channel 5's    Hornby: a PR World  (I'll bet not !)

Edited by Legend
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Trevor Hammond said:

I fully expect to see the Locomotive in the 2023 range  just badged as "Lion".

They might but with Rapido already at EP stage with their loco and releasing it separately to the Titfield packs, I do wonder if it will ever see light of day.  I suppose it depends as to whether they have got to tooling stage.

Might be better f they just wrote off the design work as a gamble that didn't pay off and did a "Planet" or "Patentee" instead.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, gpplumy said:

very much feels like they were almost held at gunpoint to put this out 🤣.

definitely feels forced 

Proof they are not the all powerful force they once thought they were. Courts are more powerful than any gun.

Will make Series 2 of Hornby Vanity TV more exciting

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I wonder if - now that the truth is out in the public arena -  anybody in Hornby is finally having to eat some very humble pie?

They don’t deserve pie, they should be made to eat plain ryvita. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, LaGrange said:

Will make Series 2 of Hornby Vanity TV more exciting

It definitely would but I do wonder if it will even be mentioned. It depends on how much editorial control they have, if any.

• RMweb Gold

The statement will have gone through the lawyers, no doubt Hornby's will have wanted it as bland as possible, Studio Canal's will not. So they come to an agreement. 

I wonder what the cost of the legal side was, and whether it would be reported in the next set of accounts? I would imagine it would also include the cost of SC's lawyers. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Someone is getting fired....

My hope, too. Do your homework before going public, or face the consequences. Hornby has got so big for its boots in the modelling world it can’t recall what the real world feels like. This short, sharp shock may have cost a bit in lawyers’ fees, and certainly there will be abortive costs for models and publicity already committed.

My heart bleeds. Not. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

9 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Someone is getting fired....

The strange thing is that one Hornby Hobbies' key strengths must be in licensing.

Corgi, Scalextric, Airfix, Hornby all depend on a large number of licences in their ranges.

So how this unsatisfactory situation could have arisen beggars belief. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 6