Railway Icons – A new venture for Locomotion Models and Rails of Sheffield

AY Mod

• Moderators

Railway Icons – A new venture for Locomotion Models and Rails of Sheffield 

Locomotion Models and Rails of Sheffield have joined forces to introduce a range of models which are being produced exclusively under our new brand – Railway Icons. 

Railways Icons logo.jpg

Railway Icons 

Railway Icons

Locomotion Models and Rails of Sheffield have previously worked together to introduce some exciting models to the National Collection in Miniature, including some of our most popular releases: Hardwicke, D Class, Terrier and most recently the NER ES1. We are thrilled to be continuing this collaboration going forwards. Traditionally, Locomotion Models has produced models in the condition in which they are preserved in the National Collection, while Rails of Sheffield produced alternative but authentic versions as they appeared in traffic prior to preservation. The new Railway Icons brand allows us to produce models both within and outside of the National Collection that we are confident will be of interest to both modellers and collectors.

Railway Icons will work with existing manufacturers with whom we have already developed excellent relationships with over the years, and we already have several new projects in various stages of development, details of which will be released in due course. This new endeavour is in no way the end of the existing National Collection in Miniature range, so you can expect to see both ranges developed alongside one another moving forwards.

Models produced as part of the Railway Icons range will be available from retail shops at the National Railway Museum in York, Locomotion at Shildon, and from Rails of Sheffield, as well as being available for purchase online or by telephone. These will also be available for purchase from Locomotion Models’ trade stand at their various appearances at railway exhibitions throughout the year.

Adam Davies, Director of Rails of Sheffield said “we have worked closely with the National Railway Museum to produce a number of iconic models over the past few years and with that relationship has developed to the point where we can expand the appeal further. It means both parties can now diversify outside the items within the National Collection and bring to market iconic models of other items. Tom Mackie, Group Retail Operations Manager of the Science Museum Group said “without our relationship with Rails of Sheffield we would have struggled to maintain the momentum of producing models of items in the National Collection. We are delighted that the partnership has now moved forward with the launch of Railway Icons and it will enable us to bring other items to market working alongside our manufacturing partners.”

The Model

Full production information - https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/179980-rails-of-sheffieldlocomotion-models-railway-icons-bachmann-class-41-hst-prototype/page/2/#comment-5210798

The first release we are producing as part of the Railway Icons brand is the Prototype High Speed power car, No.41001 (later 43001), which is part of the National Collection. This Prototype HSDT power car has been produced exclusively for Railway Icons by Bachmann Europe Plc.

Branchline Class 41. EP2 -05.jpg

The prototype High Speed Diesel Train (HSDT), British Rail Class 252, was devised by staff at the Railway Technical Centre in Derby. The prototype power cars were built at British Rail Engineering Limited at Crewe Works in 1972 with the Mark 3 coaches constructed at BREL Derby Litchurch Lane. After extensive trials on the Western Region, the production versions of the trains (with redesigned cab fronts) consisting of 197 power cars entered service in 1977. Initially they were only in traffic on Western Region lines, but were eventually used on the East Coast, Midland and Cross Country routes.

Until the introduction of the Hitachi Class 800 series of bi-mode trains in 2017, the HSDTs were the main stay of services on non-electrified lines. During the privatisation of railways between 1995 and 1997, 193 power cars carried the liveries of several operators before their withdrawal. These trains have subsequently undergone extensive refurbishments, with three different types of diesel engine fitted during major overhaul works. Now, after many years of service, some remain in traffic with ScotRail and GWR.

Tom Mackie, Group Retail Operations Manager from the Science Museum Group said “there has been much demand for a model of this power car. It had a period on loan to a heritage railway where it operated alongside HST production vehicles and a production power car. It has been at Locomotion, Shildon, since 2019. The power car also operated at the 150th Anniversary celebrations which took place at Shildon in 1975, so in effect it has finally come home!”.

Adam Davies, Director of Rails of Sheffield said “The power car of the prototype HSDT has been in our plans for several years. We were working on this with Bachmann before COVID halted the process. We are delighted to get to the EP stage and to share it with the modelling world.”

Branchline Class 41. EP2 -01.jpg

David Haarhaus, Managing Director of Bachmann Europe said: “The Bachmann Branchline model of ‘Deltic’ (DP1) was the first all-new model to be commissioned by Locomotion Models, kick starting their National Collection in Miniature range. The success of DP1, which was not only named Model of the Year by our consumers but also awarded Model of the Decade, has led to an incredible range of models portraying the national collection and it brings me great pride that Bachmann has been a part of this from the start. Since DP1, Bachmann has regularly been the manufacturer trusted to deliver these prestigious projects, which are not only enjoyed by our consumers but also benefit the museum – a precious asset to the nation and one that is at the heart of our industry. This model is only the second diesel locomotive to be commissioned in this way by Locomotion Models and I am delighted that Locomotion Models, and their partners Rails of Sheffield, have once again entrusted Bachmann as their manufacturer of choice for a OO scale model of this iconic prototype.

The single power car is available for pre-order from either Locomotion Models or Rails of Sheffield now and can be reserved either with a £30 deposit payment or the full £199.99 balance payment.

Vision 2025

Outside York.jpg

Central Hall - York

Vision 2025 is a multi-million-pound programme of investment, improvement and change that will transform Locomotion, and the National Railway Museum with new buildings, galleries, visitor attractions, outdoor spaces and vital construction work.’

This project will enable both sites to enhance experiences for visitors, create safe spaces to preserve the National Collection of railway vehicles and ensure a sustainable future for the historic buildings on site. At Shildon, the development programme focuses on boosting interpretation that will improve the way in which the story of Shildon’s significance to the development of railways worldwide is told. As the world’s first railway town and workplace of railway pioneer Timothy Hackworth, Shildon’s importance is monumental, and Vision 2025 allows its role in early railway development to be explored even further.

Aerial 1.jpg

York - current

Aerial 2.jpg

York - future

As part of Vision 2025, a brand new 2000 square metre collection building is in the process of being constructed on the brownfield site adjacent to the museum and is expected to open in November of 2023. This new building will house 50 additional vehicles from the collection, making Locomotion the largest collection of railway vehicles under cover on one site in the world. The opening of New Hall will also become a hub for celebrating the 200th anniversary of the opening of the Stockton and Darlington Railway in 2025

image.png

New Hall - Locomotion

image.png

Locomotion - site plan

image.png

Locomotion - New Hall

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

12 minutes ago, Johann Marsbar said:

That artists impression of the "New Hall" at Locomotion looks interesting.  Didn't realise they had the front half of a Shay and a Stockholms Lokaltrafik unit in the National collection!!!

It's not a Shay it's a Sh.

The images of York current and future show all the yards gone and replaced by housing, sad to think how full of trains York used to be (not the NRM but BR).

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

33 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

The images of York current and future show all the yards gone

And parts of  York signalling centre ( the single story parts) have been replaced by a new building or was that always going to happen. Bye Bye station car parking.

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ColinK said:

Excellent news, but what about one for the other end of the train?

That'll be what we'll be seeing from the Rails side of things most likely.  The Locomotion models are "as preserved".

18 minutes ago, frobisher said:

That'll be what we'll be seeing from the Rails side of things most likely.  The Locomotion models are "as preserved".

I hope so as I have no use for single power car. But a matching pair has funds available. I spent my teens watching the prototype set, sometimes alongside the APT.

This is what I wish to create as one of my 'funny' trains to run in a  1930's west country set up.

Mike Wiltshire

Bourton25200120feb76rmail.jpg.e189326d17f43996637f073d640eccb1.jpg

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

it's just the one model.

Yes, it is. Available from both sources. Comments to the contrary, at the moment, are just speculative.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

The images of York current and future show all the yards gone and replaced by housing,

1 hour ago, Coach bogie said:

Bye Bye station car parking.

Having discussed this with a informed and involved source it was one of the regenerative funding criteria, to reduce city centre vehicles.

Aerial2.jpg.a24bb4d4c6a0001f20d5490aace7

Leeman Road Will be truncated and the future I ate shows no roads within the railway-bounded zone. Good luck with the Tesco/Just Eat delivery etc. if you buy a flat there.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, ColinK said:

Excellent news, but what about one for the other end of the train?

Buy two ?

I wonder if Bachmann will make the middle of the train as well.

anyway i’m in this is a fantastic announcement.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

It means both parties can now diversify outside the items within the National Collection and bring to market iconic models of other items

I like the sound of this line….

maybe that strays into items that nearly made the collection..

Ben Alder, L&Y Dreadnought, Z class 0-8-0 etc…

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

They don’t say if any further issues of previous models done for Locomotion, will be released under the Railway Icons brand.

There’s no mention of whether any other joint ventures with other “partners” will also use this branding.

The implication is that this model and any subsequent release of the other power car, under the Rails guise, will both be branded as Railway Icons products.

Plus, they state that several other models are currently under development.

In my mind, like with EFE, this coalescing of smaller and not so small players, will create a more robust platform for competition, innovation and variety of models.

I’m not interested in this particular model, but it’s brilliant that it can be done and done well.

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

There’s no mention of whether any other joint ventures with other “partners” will also use this branding.

My understanding is that it will; as has the National Collection in Miniature brand and associated Rails products.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, Pint of Adnams said:

Is it e.g. why Accurascale's GER S56 'Buckjumper' is numbered 84 rather than 87?

You'll have to wait and see on that one.

• RMweb Premium

Ooooof. Don't care about the Models as that's for others to discuss, BUT the site enhancement is top notch for the future. All those younger families and visitors, without huge railway knowledge, getting a top experience. Class.

Phil

• Agree 1

On 27/06/2023 at 18:24, adb968008 said:

I like the sound of this line….

maybe that strays into items that nearly made the collection..

Ben Alder, L&Y Dreadnought, Z class 0-8-0 etc…

It was a member of the Bluebell Railway that tried to buy the Z Class. The railway turned it down as being unsuitable for the line, too big and too modern. So he pulled out of the deal and it went for scrap.

Pity it didn't end up at Longmoor with 21C123, another engine the Bluebell originally turned down.

Jason

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Does frothing/wishlisting as to what the second "Railway Icon" product might be belong here?

Mike.

What would you rather discuss, the font and colour of the logo ?

its a new brand, I cant imagine any other speculation than what maybe in that brand ?

Its clear NCIM has a constraint, of National collection… The new brand widens horizons…

Time to be excited… its a potentially great new adventure.

Time to think oustide the box.

We could talk about price, but that would go south very quickly.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

It is a bit vague though.

If NCIM is for NC items, then why isn't this model in that "collection"/range rather than Railway Icons?  🤷‍♂️

What is "iconic" anyway?

I'm pretty certain most of us have very different views on that!

The Great Bear is iconic to me. Mallard isn't really, it's just another A4.

Could some of those beautiful Scottish engines be on the cards....

Jason

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

It is a bit vague though.

If NCIM is for NC items, then why isn't this model in that "collection"/range rather than Railway Icons?  🤷‍♂️

What is "iconic" anyway?

I'm pretty certain most of us have very different views on that!

The Great Bear is iconic to me. Mallard isn't really, it's just another A4.

Could some of those beautiful Scottish engines be on the cards....

Jason

HSTs are iconic.

That chassis with a few very minor mods could be reusable, 197 distinctive times.

Be a shame to waste it.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2