Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Virgin West Coast from Birmingham New Street to Euston had guards and first class with free snacks and tea/coffee.

Just being a grumpy old man, old enough to remember when I used to catch the first morning train from Birmingham to Euston and the restaurant car staff did at seat service of coffee in steerage after they had done the first class breakfasts. Fresh brewed coffee from tall pots, proper cups and saucers as well.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The bridge over the yard at Tonbridge was on one of our cross country routes. I ran across it many times and was even attacked by a trio of 'brookies once. It was mainly 33s and 73s back then. The Hastings line had not been electrified and the single line to Tunbridge Wells West was still open.

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, big jim said:

I’ve got a stone train to and from Liverpool to penmaenmawr and back, really looking forward to that

Penmaenmawr = Large head of stone, how appropriate.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tones the other day, I think the morning ones were better but I had just come off of a teams meeting and you were already approaching signal 9002 so I rushed out of the house but had forgot my phone!!!!!

Your colleagues weren't as friendly today :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/03/2022 at 17:52, big jim said:

The shenfield shark 

IMG_4376.HEIC

I didn't realise your travels took you to my neck of the woods! Good to see the Shenfield shark still there. Also Hats off for cycling from Stratford to Euston, cant imagine that's for the faint hearted! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, sb67 said:

I didn't realise your travels took you to my neck of the woods! Good to see the Shenfield shark still there. Also Hats off for cycling from Stratford to Euston, cant imagine that's for the faint hearted! 

It was a one off to collect the bike but I have done a few IM a trains down there in the past, conducted

the ride was pretty good to be fair, it’s all dedicated cycle paths from Stratford to around St. Paul’s then it’s bus lanes etc, didn’t feel uneasy at all, I was dreading it initially but it was fine, safer than riding to small heath from new st

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Wish we had known it was you I would have given you a wave at Tapton junction north of chesterfield station. I had wondered why it was late leaving Doncaster i had walked from my house with my little girl who was off school ill down to Barrow hill but you had not left Doncaster at its booked time it should have passed us . Then i had seen on real time trains and seen you had left so jumped in the car and drove to Tapton. 

Eastleigh did a superb job on the livery.

IMG_4142 (2).JPG

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
On 31/03/2022 at 19:18, big jim said:

It was a one off to collect the bike but I have done a few IM a trains down there in the past, conducted

the ride was pretty good to be fair, it’s all dedicated cycle paths from Stratford to around St. Paul’s then it’s bus lanes etc, didn’t feel uneasy at all, I was dreading it initially but it was fine, safer than riding to small heath from new st

An alternative (if you ever need to go that way again) is Regents Canal towpath to Kings Cross.

Paul.

Edited by 5BarVT
Rewording
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, eastwestdivide said:

At the Chee Dale end of the trail, there’s a public footpath (not suitable for bikes!) that crosses the remaining side of the rail triangle and goes up onto the hill beyond, with some distant views of the line to the S of Peak Forest. OS link on Bing maps

I was going to originally start at peak forest and ride to chee dale to join the trail but decided against it, when I saw the path I’m glad I didn’t, lots of walkers on it though zig zagging up the hill side 

• Like 4