Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, melmerby said:

Often in Dry weather Steam tours can be restricted because of the possibility of lineside fires, diesels aren't affected.

This from the US suggests they might need to re-think that😄

Spaghetti Works? Don't they know it grows on trees?    🌳🌳🌳   🙂

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Roof details should anyone want to model a 313. Looking at Rail magazine's list of new trains, there don't seem to be replacements for these antiques.

While waiting for the Ore No More BLS special I snapped anything that moved - this was all that did move. That's the spotters and snappers turned out for two 50s. Mind you we do get a fair number of 66s and 59s on the aggregates trains now.

Southern Railway 313204 on the 12 25 Seaford to Brighton 23 4 22.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, great central said:

Struggling to see how that works at all, unless the camera is causing it to look completely wrong 

Looks like a cross between a tandem and a single slip to me, with a heavy dose of extra check rails - though the slip appears to be asymmetrical, with the further pair of switches being longer than the nearer ones (though that might be partly down to camera foreshortening)

• RMweb Premium

Fancy a classic English Auto on your US layout?

How about a RHD Rolls Royce complete with UK numberplate on the front (Wichita KS):

(The car is a UK prototype!)

Edited by melmerby

19th Feb 1982 somewhere on the Parkandillack branch.

Looks like the driver of 37135 couldn't decide whether it was a push-me or pull-me operation. And what's a single closed wagon doing with all those empty clay wagons?

From "Ernies Railway Archive" on Flickr.

GWR 1982-02-19 Parkandillack , nr Trviscoe 37135 JV

• Like 13

20 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Looks like the driver of 37135 couldn't decide whether it was a push-me or pull-me operation. And what's a single closed wagon doing with all those empty clay wagons?

I'm assuming it's a roundy roundy layout and after an errant uncoupling incident the loco has gone full circle and is now pushing the escaped wagons. This formation is regularly replicated on my layout ;)

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Assuming it wasn't actually in use with a load to or from the loading/unloading site then most probably a vac fitted wagon put into the rake to add extra braking ability. A DIY brake tender, given it is next to the engine use as a fitted head does make sense.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

Wagon sheets? Just a guess, as the loaded clay wagons were normally sheeted over. 

Bagged clay? The odd 1 or 2 opens at a time we received our clay in were sheeted, we folded the sheets and sent them back in the wagons. Agreed it might be different for a block train (ours were sorted out at Strood or Hoo Junction I think). Weren't wagon sheets allocated to a particular wagon and numbered?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Actually only the nearest wagon is a 'true' clay open : the others are all ex-traffic highs without tip ends ....... but all do appear to be vacfits - either four-shoe with axleguard tiebars or LMS style eight-shoe.

Having blown the photo up, I would say the first and third wagons beyond the van are end tippers, the second and fourth aren't.

You can see the top rails in the photo, the first is facing away and the third is facing towards the camera.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

presumably a delivery run of ex-works stock but where from? Derby, York, Wolverton?

Certainly very clean stock, although i'd have thought NSE stock would be dealt with down South.

EDIT: On closer look, very interesting as the three Mk3 buffets are all different:

1st - Exec livery HST TRFB? (deep red/yellow band, yellow band over large windows and red band goes right up to there.)

2nd -  Blue/grey loco-hauled Mk3a RUB (narrow red band which does not go the full length of the Buffet section and no yellow band)

3rd - B/g Mk3a RFB (narrow yellow band with red band up to there)

Did the L/H Exec livery RFBs get the HST-style deep red/yellow bands? If so, then the 1st one may be one of these and not an HST trailer - there also doesn't seem to be a '125' at the end of the bodyside branding.

I would say the other two are Mk3a vehicles - in which case, you have RUBs still being outshopped at the same time as RFBs

And right after it, a Motorail train with Mk1 FKs and Carflats!

Edited by keefer

• RMweb Premium

Just watched the rest of the video @BR(S) linked to and there's an interesting cl.86/2 @13:56

Can't quite get the loco number/name but notice the windscreen wipers - not the normal pantograph wipers mounted at the top but single-arm wipers mounted in the top inner corner with a (eyebrow) top gutter, very strange!

86wipers.jpg.46dafa7eb2374c4d26322445789ba91f.jpg