Grounded Vans

Guest stuartp

First are some pics of an ex LNWR Goods Brake Van used as a Crossing Keeper's cabin at Meardsall Crossing on the Nottingham to Lincoln line. I took them some time in the late 1970s or early 1980s I think. I very much doubt if it is still there:

The power of RMweb - a mystery solved after 22 years ! In late 1990 I walked from Skegness to Sheffield (not all in one go, obviously) measuring sightlines and taking photos of level crossings after the Eastern Region realised they didn't actually know how many they had*. A colleague and I stumbled across this and were completely unable to identify beyond knowing that it was 'some sort of brake van'. There might even be a picture of it in my picture library shoe box. Thanks !

(*In fairness to my erstwhile colleagues, it was York who didn't know, the local Area Inspectors knew fine well where they were and what condition they were in but their records were all handwritten. Best secondment ever - "Here's a van, a trundle wheel and 500 rolls of film. Don't get lost or killed". )

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Technically this one doesn't count, as it's on a preserved railway, but it's so unusal I thought it worth including. A recent trip to the Great Central turned up this grounded body, tucked in a corner at Rothley.

post-1187-0-94047700-1339624916_thumb.jpg

This looks like a Palvan Shock - a little digging suggests it a diagram 1/219 and was built to carry biscuits.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The following were all spotted in the last week or so.

Near Ilkley.

post-494-0-94152600-1341435488_thumb.jpg

Normanton.

post-494-0-17416300-1341435598.jpg

The Old Coach Road near Keswick.

post-494-0-91848900-1341435678.jpg

And this coach was seen on a B road near Thirlmere.

post-494-0-95379700-1341435755.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Known about these 2 for a long time but only just got round to photographing them. They are in the Peterborough area.

IMG_8004.jpg

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 1

When i was a youngster in the 60's my dad had a boarding kennels for dogs and cats, the dog kennels were built into the vans similar to the vans shown on this thread.

One of my uncles worked for the railways at the time so he probably acquired them, if i remember correctly my dad had at least 20 vans, 10 either side of a pathway with dog runs at the back of the vans.

I remember as a kid the domed roofs of the vans that were covered in roofing felt of some kind with tar as the sealant which used to drip in the hot weather we used to get in those days.

Sadly no pics of the vans that i remember of those days.

Slightly off topic the cat kennels were built from aeroplane engine boxes from Burtonwood American aerodrome.They were delivered free on big yank trucks.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The following were all spotted in the last week or so.

And this coach was seen on a B road near Thirlmere.

post-494-0-95379700-1341435755.jpg

The coach is one of the last Furness Railway coaches to survive. I know of three more but one may have been destroyed by the new owner of the house.

OzzyO.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I know very little about coaches so could someone possibly identify builder/railway company of the coach in my last post, please?

Today at the Tanfield Railway. Gunpowder van?

post-494-0-17734700-1341695051.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks! I missed Ozzy's comment first time around - sorry.

So who is right?

I'm ID ing the green coach in mess #109 like I said in my first reply ex Furness railway.

Phil is IDing the teak in mess #120

OzzyO.