Level crossing stupidity...

• RMweb Gold

May be so but that farm tractor worries me. The gates lifted but then came down whilst he was making the crossing. What sort of mindless crossing gate algorithm allows that to happen?

A not so frictionless crossing?

• RMweb Gold

May be so but that farm tractor worries me. The gates lifted but then came down whilst he was making the crossing. What sort of mindless crossing gate algorithm allows that to happen?

And since something appears to be wrong why did Northern Ireland Railways include it in their publicity video?

And since something appears to be wrong why did Northern Ireland Railways include it in their publicity video?

Nothing appears to be wrong with the crossing. The guy in the video pressing the buttons however...

• RMweb Premium

Nothing appears to be wrong with the crossing. The guy in the video pressing the buttons however...

If its a case of the guy releasing the button too early, then its operator misoperation and deserves to be included in the clip.

• RMweb Premium

It appears to be a user operated crossing and the guy in light blue drops the barrier too soon. Maybe one of our NI members can confirm?

One thought is that the crossing has a feature where the button needs to be depressed to keep the barriers up as a result of constant misuse where the barriers are not lowered afterwards. We had a lot of trouble with a similar user worked crossing on the Uckfeld line  untill CCTV was installed so the persons guilty of not following the crossing instructions could be identified.

The other possibility is a fault with the crossing operating controls which could see the barriers automatically fall (standard practice at most level crossings).

However the more likely scenario is plain user error - pressing the lower button before the entire vehicle combo was clear of the line. As indicated we need more info before conclusions can be drawn.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I rather think that such problems go back another 100 years or so.

Regards

Blame William Huskinsson, he atarted it all off, by not listening to instructions to stay on board a train!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Huskisson#Death

Edit to modify link

Edited by kevinlms

He wasn't alone; people were wondering all over the track during the stop. The stage coach mentality took time the eliminate*. But the L&MR had issued instructions in the orders for the day for people to remain in their carriages during the Parkside water stop, along with instructions for the arrival and departure of guests' horse-drawn carriages.

* Edit: Possibly it hasn't happened yet.

runnin10.jpg

Edited by LMS2968
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-essex-41014353/foolish-level-crossing-hopping-learner-driver-convicted

Surely the <qualified driver> should have been penalised too though?

I think you're assuming there was a qualified driver with her ;)  (I can't see any L plates either nor did I see them on the original BTP film I saw earlier today)

I think you're assuming there was a qualified driver with her ;)  (I can't see any L plates either nor did I see them on the original BTP film I saw earlier today)

Whilst I would agree with the sentiment, it will rather depend upon who the Law sees as being the person legally in charge of the vehicle. Normally, that is always the actual driver, and it may still be that way even if the driver is a learner under the supervision of another qualified driver. As it appears not to have been a dedicated driving instruction car, ie without any form of dual control, there is actually very little the other driver can do; he (or she) certainly cannot take charge of the situation in any practical way.

Jim

• Like 1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-essex-41014353/foolish-level-crossing-hopping-learner-driver-convicted

Interestingly, if you watch the video the car following (that she subsequently reverses into) also crosses the stop line with the lights flashing & the barriers lowering, with what appears to be a clear intention to try to make it across. Indeed, they appear to reverse a little when they realise the barrier is about to lower onto their bonnet. I'd hope the Police also spoke to them, too.

Interestingly, if you watch the video the car following (that she subsequently reverses into) also crosses the stop line with the lights flashing & the barriers lowering, with what appears to be a clear intention to try to make it across. Indeed, they appear to reverse a little when they realise the barrier is about to lower onto their bonnet. I'd hope the Police also spoke to them, too.

Totally agree. Level crossings are one place where you could properly justify 'red light cameras' - I can't see how any sensible person could object to that.

• RMweb Premium

Two from Network Rail 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_wHsAS5s_o&t=0s

The caption on the top one says "life threatening".

The person running across started before the barriers were down.

For a full barrier crossing, once the barriers are fully down doesn't the crossing have to be proved clear (either visually or with obstacle detection) before the protecting signal is cleared?

The caption on the top one says "life threatening".

The person running across started before the barriers were down.

A moot point. The nearside barriers were already completely down and the offside barriers had started lowering and were at about 45' (half way down) when the person ran under them.

G.

• RMweb Premium

What I don't get, is why these people when they get into such a diabolical mess (of their own making), don't just continue forwards? Surely much safer than stopping, attempting to reverse & smashing down barriers and into following vehicles. They would clear the level crossing much quicker. Still deserve the book to be thrown at them, for running a red light.

What I don't get, is why these people when they get into such a diabolical mess (of their own making), don't just continue forwards? Surely much safer than stopping, attempting to reverse & smashing down barriers and into following vehicles. They would clear the level crossing much quicker. Still deserve the book to be thrown at them, for running a red light.

"Don't panic, Mr Mainwaring"

Oops, too late...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Instead of flashing red lights, why not install normal red/amber/green traffic lights on Level crossings ?   Most drivers already understand these.

Anyone who doesn't understand flashing red lights shouldn't be on the road at all. Even if for some reason someone doesn't then the meaning isn't hard to guess. It's not most drivers who are the problem, I'm happy to speculate that the sort of driver who ignores level crossing lights probably ignores red traffic lights too.

• Like 1