A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

If I missed previous posts I apologise. ANTB in next month's Model Rail. R. Sweet centrefold I'm informed.

A. Modeller

Trust me, you wouldn't want to see me with strategically placed staples.

Guest 7007GreatWestern

Gents,

I hope the following might bring some amusement. You might have thought that the National Railway Museum, as official custodians of the nation's railway heritage could be relied upon to be authoritative in matters to do with the railway....or at least demonstrate basic common sense.....or even a basic 'schoolboy' ability to cross check facts on Wikipedia. Apparently not.

I've just found this on the NRM's website:-

http://www.nrm.org.uk/ourcollection/photo?group=Sellick%20collection&objid=1997-7219_RJS_OWW_18

Apparently the good folks at York are unaware of the difference between Western Region train reporting numbers and locomotive number, since we see here the hitherto unknown 'Castle' class loco No. 927????????

Also, they tell us that Sir Edward Elgar was personally aboard this train seen on 11th July 1959 at Ledbury. That would be quite a feat as the man had been dead for a quarter of a century at that time....

Suddenly NRM's decision to give away 2818 doesn't seem that surprising after all. God help us!

Andy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Gents,

I hope the following might bring some amusement. You might have thought that the National Railway Museum, as official custodians of the nation's railway heritage could be relied upon to be authoritative in matters to do with the railway....or at least demonstrate basic common sense.....or even a basic 'schoolboy' ability to cross check facts on Wikipedia. Apparently not.

http://www.nrm.org.uk/ourcollection/photo?group=Sellick%20collection&objid=1997-7219_RJS_OWW_18

Apparently the good folks at York are unaware of the difference between Western Region train reporting numbers and locomotive number, since we see here the hitherto unknown 'Castle' class loco No. 927????????

Also, they tell us that Sir Edward Elgar was personally aboard this train seen on 11th July 1959 at Ledbury. That would be quite a feat as the man had been dead for a quarter of a century at that time....

Suddenly NRM's decision to give away 2818 doesn't seem that surprising after all. God help us!

Andy.

Nice but dim? I do hope this wasn't a Volunteer enthusiast that produced this little wonderblunder. However, the NRM is in a weird place, beyond the edge of reality, on a railway far away, so what can we expect? :mail:  :locomotive:  :beee:  :nono:  :triniti:

Ike Brunelly

• RMweb Premium

Nice but dim? I do hope this wasn't a Volunteer enthusiast that produced this little wonderblunder. However, the NRM is in a weird place, beyond the edge of reality, on a railway far away, so what can we expect? :mail:  :locomotive:  :beee:  :nono:  :triniti:

Ike Brunelly

A far cry from the days of Andrew Dow, Richard Gibbon and John Peck too (and John Coiley and John Bellwood before them).

• RMweb Gold

Gents,

Andy.

Just another part of their GWR blind spot - as 'City of Truro' shows they can't even get engines restored correctly  (the Route Availability disc is the wrong colour for those who haven't noticed).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A far cry from the days of Andrew Dow, Richard Gibbon and John Peck too (and John Coiley and John Bellwood before them).

Yes. My experience of the NRM is that there are loads of very nice people working there (many volunteers) but not a lot know a lot about the railways of the past in the sort of detail many of us have or require for research.

Having said that, I have met some of the Staff who are hugely knowledgeable about the stuff they have there and at Shildon,

In fairness the archives must be a huge task and I expect many 'junior' trainees or simialr are doing that sort of thing and hence the occasional hickup.

Phil 

• Like 1

You might be in luck as Chris Nevard had them in the background on one of his delightful shots. Will it make the magazine... ;)

Just in case it doesn't make the magazine here are the Finchings enjoying their sojourn in Bodmin Gaol......

post-9751-0-47743400-1506369504.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Yes. My experience of the NRM is that there are loads of very nice people working there (many volunteers) but not a lot know a lot about the railways of the past in the sort of detail many of us have or require for research.

Having said that, I have met some of the Staff who are hugely knowledgeable about the stuff they have there and at Shildon,

In fairness the archives must be a huge task and I expect many 'junior' trainees or simialr are doing that sort of thing and hence the occasional hickup.

Phil 

They have a wealth of uncatalogued stuff at York but some very knowledgeable individuals helping catalogue some of it.  One big hole is the Paddington GWR/Wr photographic archive for which they allegedly have a mass of material with little clue as to what it is.  I don't know if they're still doing it but they used to regularly do a batch of prints and send them down to steam at Swindon for folk to look through and say what/where they showed - and some of it was of considerable historical interest.

• RMweb Premium

Blimey, the Kernow 1361 thread is rapidly becoming the new Peco bullhead track thread. :O

Kernowboo Panniertastic Saddletastic thread? (Correction for Doh moment, as usual).

Let's go there and cause a storm.

Philth

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

Kernowboo Panniertastic thread?

Let's go there and cause a storm.

Philth

You'll be pleased to hear that myself and at least one other follower of this thread have kept their pre-order intact...

• Like 3

You'll be pleased to hear that myself and at least one other follower of this thread have kept their pre-order intact...

Who be that then me 'ansome ?

post-20303-0-18716500-1506527780_thumb.jpeg

A. Y. Okel

Guest 7007GreatWestern

I'd be very careful about saying that publicly Rob. The rivet-fascists know who you are! Beware the knock on the door in the middle of the night......    :O

Andy