A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Rob, I'm confused. There's been no instruction as to whether or not I should be offended by the last set of pannier photos.

The revered Cyril Freezer, I'm sure, wouldn't have encouraged anything offensive. And he frequently said "if in doubt, add a pannier"

Ergo panniers are inoffensive, by definition.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The revered Cyril Freezer, I'm sure, wouldn't have encouraged anything offensive. And he frequently said "if in doubt, add a pannier"

Ergo panniers are inoffensive, by definition.

He also said "if in doubt, add a Hall - often", which is advice that I have tried to follow (13 Collett and 3 Hawksworth so far).

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I believe his advice was actually "If in doubt, add a locomotive." This in the days when a loco was a really major investment for The Average Modeller, seen as the RM readership. Not quite so true these days, when the threads concerning forthcoming models are full of "I'm ordering four" and similar indicators of liquidity.

• RMweb Premium

I believe his advice was actually "If in doubt, add a locomotive." This in the days when a loco was a really major investment for The Average Modeller, seen as the RM readership. Not quite so true these days, when the threads concerning forthcoming models are full of "I'm ordering four" and similar indicators of liquidity.

Ian, I'm sure that the "add a Hall - often" remark was part of the review of the Tri-ang-Hornby Albert Hall, way back in 1966 or thereabouts. It might have been one of the Peco staff rather than CJF himself who wrote it but to me has Cyril's mark all over it.

• Like 1