Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge Mk3 coaches

MGR Hooper!

This is purely speculation and is not based on any evidence but I do wonder if the long delay in bringing forward new liveries might be due to Oxford Rail retooling the underframe.  This is the most easily noticable error to fix and, being a single part, would probably only require one mould to be altered.  I am aware of the bogie issue but that would probably be more awkward to fix.

Both fixes should be as easy as they would probably require new tooling to be produced in any case - of course the size of the cost depends on which components share the same tool/sprue - if the bogies and underframe are on the same one, there's an obvious win there.

But I don't think these batches are going to have any changes other than the silvered window frames they have already promised.

Blue & Grey looks good - but what happened to the classification band?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/40855-loco-hauled-mk3s/page-2&do=findComment&comment=441587

Oh dear - it's a wee bit on the heavy side !  some Hornby B/G FO MK3's had exactly the same issue..............so much for OR's "In Pursuit of Excellence" 

Edited by tractor_37260

The red band on the RUB appears to be the right thickness. Due for release this week, I believe.

Last page of this new edition of "The Globe":-

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1017/3257/files/Globe_225_low_res.pdf?1046878443220940126

Is it the right length though? I thought it should extend along the entire catering section, not 4/5 of it?

It's the correct length - see RUB 10026 in the link provided above (which does not cover all of the catering section) - though the models interpretation still looks a bit on the thick side.

Pedant mode-

It does cover the whole food prep area, the small square window is the crew rest area.

• RMweb Gold

Blue & Grey looks good - but what happened to the classification band?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/40855-loco-hauled-mk3s/page-2&do=findComment&comment=441587

Interesting that the link you provide shows two different terminating points for the yellow stripe in the examples

M11045 the yellow line ends with the curve of the Grey /white line

M11028 the yellow line ends on the door before the curve.

Pedant mode-

It does cover the whole food prep area, the small square window is the crew rest area.

Extreme pedantry that - the whole of the food prep area + the vestibule end, but not the staff compartment :) Either way, credit where credits due, they've got it correctly applied. 

Edited by Bob Reid
  • Like 1

Interesting that the link you provide shows two different terminating points for the yellow stripe in the examples

M11045 the yellow line ends with the curve of the Grey /white line

M11028 the yellow line ends on the door before the curve.

And that still happens with the FGW blue livery.

• RMweb Gold

I took a bravery pill yesterday and dismantled one of my Oxford Rail MK3’s yesterday to fit a few people and improve the livery. I agree with a comment made before that those couplings and small springs are a pain, good idea about gluing each end of them to secure. I’ve used a small blob of PVA and seems to have done the trick.

I’ve masked and lightly brush painted the lower body side with Railmatch Executive Light Grey (200), also given the window surrounds one coat using a very small brush. I’ve used Darkstar’s Tarnished Steel (recently mentioned on George Dent’s blog - hence the idea to give upgrading a carriage a go).

A pic of the coach next to a Bachmann Class 47 before being sent to the workbench ...

post-10765-0-50620900-1538921759_thumb.jpeg

A pic after, showing the difference the repaint make, especially the window surronds (still requires transfers).

post-10765-0-15352300-1538921818_thumb.jpeg

This pic shows the difference the tweaks make when compared to the First Class carriage on the right, still in as-bought condition.

post-10765-0-81452000-1538921891_thumb.jpeg

The paints used ...

post-10765-0-78637600-1538922026_thumb.jpeg

I may give the window surrounds a second coat (the pics show some blemishes that are not as noticeable when on the layout) and send the first class carriage to the workbench. The upgrade has increased my confidence in these coaches and I’m tempted to buy a few more to complete a typical WCML rake.

• Like 11

I took a bravery pill yesterday and dismantled one of my Oxford Rail MK3’s yesterday to fit a few people and improve the livery. I agree with a comment made before that those couplings and small springs are a pain, good idea about gluing each end of them to secure. I’ve used a small blob of PVA and seems to have done the trick.

I’ve masked and lightly brush painted the lower body side with Railmatch Executive Light Grey (200), also given the window surrounds one coat using a very small brush. I’ve used Darkstar’s Tarnished Steel (recently mentioned on George Dent’s blog - hence the idea to give upgrading a carriage a go).

A pic of the coach next to a Bachmann Class 47 before being sent to the workbench ...

attachicon.gif024E4F6A-2CC5-41D3-9960-EA61463AE513.jpeg

A pic after, showing the difference the repaint make, especially the window surronds (still requires transfers).

attachicon.gif813C5DC7-4E05-4C0B-9790-01946C66A7A7.jpeg

This pic shows the difference the tweaks make when compared to the First Class carriage on the right, still in as-bought condition.

attachicon.gif04CEB02C-0D23-4755-AB92-D6A1EB32EEC0.jpeg

The paints used ...

attachicon.gif0C9AA648-65CB-4181-9157-45531DA95D2C.jpeg

I may give the window surrounds a second coat (the pics show some blemishes that are not as noticeable when on the layout) and send the first class carriage to the workbench. The upgrade has increased my confidence in these coaches and I’m tempted to buy a few more to complete a typical WCML rake.

Definitely looks better now, ideally the upper band of light grey also needs to be changed to Exec Light Grey.  A fine silver paint marker used with a ruler, is an another way doing the window frames.

• RMweb Gold

Definitely looks better now, ideally the upper band of light grey also needs to be changed to Exec Light Grey.  A fine silver paint marker used with a ruler, is an another way doing the window frames.

Thanks for that tip - I might try using a ruler for the first class coach (Art was my weakest subject at school!). Yes, the 2nd Class classification strip does appear more noticeable on the pictures so I’ll give that a paint as well.

• RMweb Gold

My br blue buffet rrived today.

First impressions were good until i opened it.

The coupling is broke at one end, bits of black plastic fell out of the coupling area and the spring has detached.

So thats going back, but the coach itself looks good to me.

post-7026-0-79570100-1539004374_thumb.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

My br blue buffet rrived today.

First impressions were good until i opened it.

The coupling is broke at one end, bits of black plastic fell out of the coupling area and the spring has detached.

So thats going back, but the coach itself looks good to me.

Are you sure its broken, the coupling bar is barely 1mm to support it and easily detaches.

I cut off the vestibule end floors (which hold it in place) from the interior and glued it down, as the screws holding the overall interior are quite inferior for the job of holding, which is what allows the coupling to pop out.

That said your image is missing the door footboards, another feature of the model.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

Are you sure its broken, the coupling bar is barely 1mm to support it and easily detaches.

I cut off the vestibule end floors (which hold it in place) from the interior and glued it down, as the screws holding the overall interior are quite inferior for the job of holding, which is what allows the coupling to pop out.

That said your image is missing the door footboards, another feature of the model.

I was assuming it was damaged, a couple of bits of black plastic fell out, one might be the door footboard now your mentioned it, but another looked damaged. The spring was detached from the coach body and looking at the other end seems to hook onto something inside.

Not to worry, return already organised. :-)

• RMweb Gold

The gap will depend on which Kadee's you fit - 17/18/19/20's and also the min radius of curves used. A better plan is to perhaps use a fixed bar coupling like the Hornby 40270 coupling or the slightly shorter Roco 40271 version especially if your planning to push the coaches.

Just to clarify:

There is no physical difference between the Roco 40270 and 40271 couplers, 40270 is just a packet of two pairs, whereas 40271 is a bulk pack of 50 couplers.

The longer Hornby ones come with most of their coaches and can be bought separately under catalogue number R.8220 (packet of 10).

If using Kadees, Roco heads within the set and Kadees at the outer ends works best unless you also fit Roco or Hornby heads to the loco/power cars. 

John