Bargain Hunters Mark 2

7 hours ago, KalKat said:

Hi

Thanks Emma - I must learn how to do that for future reference! I have been told that the outside cylinder 0-6-0 is more likely to be a Fowler than Stanier design, but most probably a dock shunter, so at least I got that bit right! Hopefully someone was able to pick up a decent loco for a fair price.

Steve S

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, tractionman said:

Model Railways Direct sale, including Heljan 009 L&B locos at less than £125...

And a Hornby Lord Nelson for £9.50 (yes!)

https://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk/locomotives-steam/Hornby-r3634-lord-nelson-class-4-6-0-sr-851-sir-francis-drake/

I assume it's a typo for £95

Edited by melmerby
  • Funny 1

2 minutes ago, melmerby said:

And a Hornby Lord Nelson for £9.50 (yes!)

https://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk/locomotives-steam/Hornby-r3634-lord-nelson-class-4-6-0-sr-851-sir-francis-drake/

I assume it's a typo for £95

Even £95 isn't bad, but is anyone going to try to buy one at the £9.50 invitation to treat?  :jester:

(Sadly I don't need a Southern livery one, I wouldn't want to repaint it and i wouldn't try for one to resell at profit on an auction site...)

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

well it is possible to add it to the basket at that price...

Shopping Cart

Hornby R3634

Lord Nelson Class 4-6-0 SR 851 'Sir Francis Drake'

✓ In Stock

Scale: OO

Weight: 563.00g

Delete

Price

£9.50

Qty

Buy Quantity 1

Total

£9.50

Shipping: Royal Mail - First Class: 

£3.99

VAT (to be calculated):

£0.00

Total Cost:

£13.49

I hope for their sake MRD change it soon as they'll soon shift at that price...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, tractionman said:

Model Railways Direct sale, including Heljan 009 L&B locos at less than £125...

https://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk/special-offers/

cheers,

Keith

Blood and custard portholes (various versions of 1st class ones) for £24.99 am seriously tempted

• Friendly/supportive 1

12 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Even £95 isn't bad, but is anyone going to try to buy one at the £9.50 invitation to treat?  :jester:

(Sadly I don't need a Southern livery one, I wouldn't want to repaint it and i wouldn't try for one to resell at profit on an auction site...)

Typo or not my order has been accepted and paid for at the price of £9.50 each, be interesting if it gets cancelled!

Edited by Titan
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Titan said:

Typo or not my order has been accepted and paid for at the price of £9.50 each, be interesting if it gets cancelled!

Now out of stock , unsurprisingly....

I'll be well impressed if MRD honour the orders....

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Titan said:

I suppose it depends if they notice the error before they ship.  If the orders get processed on auto pilot they might just get out of the door...

I guess it would depend how many tried to take up the offer before it was noticed at MRD, at which point they would have pulled the plug.

If only one or two they might let them go. If all 30?

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Do they not have to honour any purchases made at the “advertised price”?

We benefitted from this some years ago, (buying an accessory for a games console as a present IIRC), once at the till and rung through, it came up substantially dearer than displayed on the shelf. 

‘When this was pointed out to the manager, the sale was honoured at the displayed price. Needless to say, a sales assistant soon cleared the shelf and they re-appeared later at the correct higher price!

Was this more a goodwill gesture than being legally bound??

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Banger Blue said:

We benefitted from this some years ago, (buying an accessory for a games console as a present IIRC), once at the till and rung through, it came up substantially dearer than displayed on the shelf. 

‘When this was pointed out to the manager, the sale was honoured at the displayed price. Needless to say, a sales assistant soon cleared the shelf and they re-appeared later at the correct higher price!

No legal obligation whatsoever, so just a gesture of goodwill. 

And for the case in question with Model Railways Direct, their Terms and Conditions state:

”5.4      It is possible that prices on the website may be incorrectly quoted; accordingly, we will verify prices as part of our sale procedures so that the correct price will be notified to you before the contract comes into force.”

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I guess it also depends if you are okay with a model shop (of which there are but a few good ones left) making a significant loss due to an honest error. We all love a bargain don't get me wrong but these things have ramifications. 

• Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Banger Blue said:

"Shelf edge pricing" is a whole different ball game instore than online finger slippage, I've benefitted more than once in supermarkets from the former, and there's also the "impossible pricing" scenario to look at whilst in said supermarkets.

Mike.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

"Shelf edge pricing" is a whole different ball game instore than online finger slippage,

Mike.

Except in Morrisons where they will not honour shelf edge prices where they are different to the till however small the error.

Asda will but will quickly get it corrected on the shelf.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

"Shelf edge pricing" is a whole different ball game instore than online finger slippage, I've benefitted more than once in supermarkets from the former, and there's also the "impossible pricing" scenario to look at whilst in said supermarkets.

Mike.

I think that Trading Standards can take an interest if there is a habit of mis-pricing goods on the shelf....

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, polybear said:

I think that Trading Standards can take an interest if there is a habit of mis-pricing goods on the shelf....

I was interested as I knew the boss of Nottinghamshire trading standards and he marked my card as it were, the outcome of an altercation with a petrol station who hadn't altered all their price boards was interesting and a little satisfying to me as just a little old customer!

Mike.

• Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, Chrisr40 said:

Roughly speaking, a loco at £50 and 3 wagons at £6.66 each is a pretty good bargain!

And not a decimal point error in sight...   :sarcastichand:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Roughly speaking, a loco at £50 and 3 wagons at £6.66 each is a pretty good bargain!

And not a decimal point error in sight...   :sarcastichand:

Why bother with the wagons.

£51.95 for an Oxford Janus.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GVH-GV2016-YEC-Janus-0-6-0DE-shunter-No-379-Caerleon-in-Allied-Steel-and-Wire/233299703076?hash=item3651bef524:g:CDsAAOSw94JdQBvd

• Thanks 1