Cakebox Challenge Chat

Phil Parker

Blast, you are pinching all my ideas.

I was going to mounted mine on an old tripod so it could swivel, it has a telescopic centre pole so it could be adjusted for different viewing heights as well. 

Back to the drawing board, might as well just leave it on the table now.....

My turn - how about a solid box but with an eye piece so you have to look through it to see inside the illuminated area!!!

Blimey there were 6 available last night and only one at the moment, now I wonder which nut-job could have ordered five?????

Peter

• RMweb Gold

No, for once I seem to be ahead of you in terms of numbers, are you by any chance feeling unwell?

Peter

Biding my time, watching the other runners & riders....  wondering if an 1:160 scale model of the PSMT would run round in a circle within 8"....

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

It would be great if we could have as many as possible exhibited at a show. However, it would require a large table and so people can find theirs easily the cake boxes might have to be put in alphabetical order, even of RMweb usernames.

Then at the end of the show we can have a cake sale. :)

Or a cake box sale.

They can have the box, but not the contents!

Actually, I'm thinking I'd take photos of the model from each side (and top) and glue the pics to the outside of the box. Someone might like to buy that.....

Drat - I've just had an idea for another diorama

• Like 2

Blimey there were 6 available last night and only one at the moment, now I wonder which nut-job could have ordered five?????

Peter

Oops should have put the "no connection to the vendor just a satisfied customer" caveat in that post!!!!  :O

According to the latest weekly vendor email there is now an orderly queue forming for these.  How very British!  :sungum:

Pip pip!

idd

I'm afraid I've just spent £2.34 on two cake boxes. Only one project, but thought I ought to buy a spare as two were only about 40p more than one on eBay. The idea is it will be a little test diorama for my Cameo Competition entry, which means it may prove to be a total failure, as the aim with that is to see if I can do things I've never managed in the past!

• Like 1

Welcome to The Cakebox Challenge.

• The First rule of Cakebox Challenge is: you do not talk about Cakebox Challenge.
  • The Second rule of Cakebox Challenge is: you DO NOT talk about Cakebox Challenge!
  • The Third rule of Cakebox Challenge: Its got to fit in an 8"x8"x6" cakebox.

I think that clarifies matters.....

Apropos of nothing, I DO NOT KNOW how anyone can build yards and yards of track by hand without going completely loopy. 10" is enough for anyone!

Oh, wait.....

H,C,&O

They're not backscenes though....

True but the idea goes back to 2010 on this forum, and probably earlier on the previous version, as Stubby points out, most 'new' ideas are re-incarnations, for my sixth box I'm thinking about recreating early Hornby O gauge, wwith their first shot at electrics.

post-18627-0-01896200-1508266884.png

Should keep the grubby fingers off,

Peter

Edited by peter220950

Perhaps I should keep this to myself, so most of you get disqualified and I have a better chance of winning, but I'm too nice to do that :). I've just received two of these cake boxes, and the EXTERNAL dimensions are 8"x8"x6". Anyone making a base 8x8 will find it won't fit inside. I don't know if all boxes are this size, so maybe the judges have slightly bigger ones, but it might be best not to take the risk!

And on the subject of boxes, if our entry is actually built into a proper cake box, does it qualify, even though it won't fit inside the judge's box? I'm inclined to give a box a good dose of shellac, and build inside it. My entry is intended to be a test piece for my Cameo Competition entry, so it needs a proscenium arch etc.!

• Administrators

Perhaps I should keep this to myself, so most of you get disqualified and I have a better chance of winning, but I'm too nice to do that :). I've just received two of these cake boxes, and the EXTERNAL dimensions are 8"x8"x6". Anyone making a base 8x8 will find it won't fit inside. I don't know if all boxes are this size, so maybe the judges have slightly bigger ones, but it might be best not to take the risk!

And on the subject of boxes, if our entry is actually built into a proper cake box, does it qualify, even though it won't fit inside the judge's box? I'm inclined to give a box a good dose of shellac, and build inside it. My entry is intended to be a test piece for my Cameo Competition entry, so it needs a proscenium arch etc.!

The thickness of the cardboard at it's fattest point, where three layers overlap on the flaps is 1.1mm. This is on a cake box from Hobbycraft, but the Lakeland version is the same. If your model is so tight to the sides that this makes a difference, I'll be tempted to lend you some sandpaper to remove the excess. 

• Like 2