Great Model Railway Challenge - Channel 5

• RMweb Premium

I suspect this may be more down to the model companies sponsoring the show than the imagination of the contestants.

Quite - I believe the teams have a certain amount to spend with the sponsors and a very small amount that can be spent on anything else (and also a strict limit on how much of their own money they can spend). So getting anything non UK outline probably isn't easy.

And I think they teams are supposed to use 00 track (though not necessarily exclusively) so the camera truck can be run on it.

Just watched E2 on YouTube. Again in my opinion the judges got it right.

I must admit to a certain scepticism ahead of watching the series but actually I feel, so far at any rate, that it may encourage some people to dabble with RTR. I have not seen much in the way of rolling stock information. OO and OO9 has been mentioned but only in passing; loco/wagon/coach/multiple-unit types have not been discussed. The scratch modelling sessions are interesting but no one is actually going to learn how to railway model from this series.

• RMweb Gold

Just watched E2 on YouTube. Again in my opinion the judges got it right.

I must admit to a certain scepticism ahead of watching the series but actually I feel, so far at any rate, that it may encourage some people to dabble with RTR. I have not seen much in the way of rolling stock information. OO and OO9 has been mentioned but only in passing; loco/wagon/coach/multiple-unit types have not been discussed. The scratch modelling sessions are interesting but no one is actually going to learn how to railway model from this series.

Perhaps not - but I could imagine some beginners visiting at least their local show - and talking with some of the people from their local club.

Some beginners might also visit their local newsagent - and see "build a starter layout" "bookazines", which would probably give them some idea of the sort of questions they might need answers to (and hopefully a decent guide on how to build their own version of a starter layout).

As far as I'm concerned, the whole idea of this series is really about getting new people sufficiently interested in the hobby to make these first, tentative, steps - and I think everyone involved has succeeded in this aim.

Huw.

• RMweb Gold

we can't hide the fact the traditional structure of the railway interest group is slowly shrivelling from the bottom up. We have to adapt to survive.

Hello all,

I don't accept this "fact" at all.

To me the hobby is in a healthier position than I have ever known.

There are RTR models of esoteric prototypes or one-offs, revised and improved versions of stalwarts, exciting developments in 0 gauge, crowdfunding methods enabling modellers to come together to self finance niche items, new scenic techniques such as laser cutting, download-and-print and static grass, DCC Sound and exciting developments happening in signals and control.

Yes, the retail side is changing but retailers with vision and foresight are adapting and evolving.

What this programme does is personalise the hobby - it's really about people, not bits of plastic. They're not mocked, or belittled, but shown using their skills to overcome challenges while having fun and enjoying themselves.

I'd argue that in itself is more likely to grow the hobby than any number of detailed demonstrations of how to apply ballast, or how to build a card building, all of which can easily be found on You Tube.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 4

I thought this week was pretty good, I quite like the odd gimmick, servos are wonderful things, love the fact that LED's are so versatile and think animations are great fun.The MeRG stands always attract attention. I also think the best team won with their well thought out, very humerous, Santa train(s).

I can see the points of view of purists who wish to recreate a railway scene/ area/ era as is/ was, as well as rivet counters, and also people like me who try their best but know historical accuracy and truth are a long way off, I do still wonder why a respected modeller, would inflict a shoe or toilet plunger onto teams obviously taking the competition so seriously? I wait to see what next weeks items will be.

Off to the show Greenock tomorrow, only small but always interesting.

Have you actually watched Grand Designs?

Yes. Often. I agree those tropes do reappear (though not all at in every episode) but you usually end up with an interesting house that function as a house and if you like architecture and design, as I do, then that's the most important bit. So far, none of the finished layouts in GMRC look anything more than the best that could be achieved with a daft theme and not enough time.

I liked that ! Very good ...

The steampunk thing doesn’t offend me...it’s not really my thing, but we often hear “ how can we attract new modellers ...” then they get sniffy about somebody else’s interest

There's often a strong element of "but it's only valid if they're interested in what I think they should be Interested in." Which usually seems to mean photorealistic P4 BLTs which ceased to exist 50+ years ago.

• Like 1

Have you actually watched Grand Designs? A smug couple with too much money, come with a whacky scheme, argue with the architect, decide to project manage the job themselves and find out it's hard, miss deadlines, run out of cash, get pregnant and ultimately sort of pull it all off. It couldn't be more circus if Kevin wore a ringmaster costume. As for the false jeopardy before every add break...

This.

I'm a retired Town Planner and a big fan of modern architecture (I spend hours wandering through the Twentieth Century Society's Flickr page) but I absolutely loathe Grand Designs.  Quite apart from an irrational desire to club Kevin McLeod across the back of the neck with a shovel and bury him in the foundations of whatever building the prissy, self entitled subjects are doing, it doesn't appear to accurately address the building process at all.  Quite apart from self-build sites generally being rarer than Unicorn turds, the whole emphasis is on anally-retentive aesthetics and project management woes but glosses over the difficulties of securing planning permission, building control seem to be invisible and the whole set up seems to project self build as aspirational and achievable, whereas for the overwhelming majority of people, if they are lucky enough to be able to afford to own a house rather than rent, it'll be an identikit house builder newbuild or a second hand house not one where they can appoint an architect to design something Le Corbusier might have approved of.

To me the programme is about as relevant to the reality of housing in the UK as Top Gear's Ferrari tests were to normal motorists.  A fleeting self indulgent dream bought crashing down in flames by their next trip to work in a 15 year old Fiesta.

That's why I think the Great Model Railway Challenge works.  It shows groups of relatively normal identifiable characters having fun creating something in an accessible way that appeals to a wider range of people.  Not super talented, super skilled modellers hand knitting their track, turning their own wheels on lathes or the like which admittedly has a place, and after the GMRC has dipped it's toe in the murky waters of model railways with some success, might form the basis of a separate series, especially if the other channels try to cash in as they often do with new genres and interests, but to begin with I think the format is fine and really, the idea of some self appointed Don dribbling on about a model railway in the way McLeod does on Grand designs I suspect would not click with the kind of audience this show is reaching.  I wouldn't even watch something like Grand Model Railway Designs if it reached the level of pretentiousness the building show does.

• Like 12

There's a "Grand Designs" house about 400 yards away (as the crow flies), and each time I pass it, I wonder if its going to last as long as the conventional Edwardian period houses have that surround it, or if it will vanish like the house previously on the site did.

Apart from that, I watched Ep3 last night, all the layouts were entertaining and the participants did a good job!

There's a "Grand Designs" house about 400 yards away (as the crow flies), and each time I pass it, I wonder if its going to last as long as the conventional Edwardian period houses have that surround it, or if it will vanish like the house previously on the site did.

Apart from that, I watched Ep3 last night, all the layouts were entertaining and the participants did a good job!

Yes the sandbags are not wearing well

Hello all,

Apart from these three lines I agree with most of what is in Reply #841

I think the rest of that Reply can be entirely consistent with the quote that you disagreed with "...slowly shrivelling from the bottom up ..."

What percentage of your customers are not already model railway geeks? 

Many things give the impression of good health right up to the last moment before they expire.

...R

• RMweb Premium

Favourite comment from last night's show by the Special Effects guy on the Steampunk team. "This is a 30 second audio recording device..........which can record 30 seconds of audio"

Priceless.

That took me back decades to my student days when a pal of mine used to say he'd got an infallible plan, that cannot fail.

Oh and not forgetting the contestant who remarked he was mentally and physically drained after completing the painting of several beach huts.

I'm really warming to this show in a good way. There are some pearls, and I quite enjoyed the dreadful puns.

Yes, some good choice comments - that we could all make when in front of cameras, I imagine.

I have to say, when I saw the shattered state of the chap who finished his “flagging” session, I was in hysterics when the team leader said they would all go out clubbing afterwards. I say this with absolute light-heartedness, but perhaps he could have joked, instead, we’ll take our colleague to the hospital! Really enjoyed the programme again.

• RMweb Premium

As far as I'm concerned, the whole idea of this series is really about getting new people sufficiently interested in the hobby to make these first, tentative, steps - and I think everyone involved has succeeded in this aim.

I would imagine that the primary aim of the series is to make entertaining television watched by sufficient people to justify having made it.

Fortunately (for us) they have chosen to do that by making a programme which might indeed get people interested in the hobby, and they seem to have gone out of their way to present the hobby in a favourable light.

• Like 4

Many things give the impression of good health right up to the last moment before they expire.

The imminent death of the Model railway Hobby has been reported many times over the 55+ years I've been playing with my model trains(!)... So far the reports have been proven unfounded and I see no reason why that won't be the case long after I've departed myself...

Good third episode, right team won...

Keep the "daft" briefs and challenges as they are much more interesting than showing someone build a prototypical layout...

• Like 1

Yes, some good choice comments - that we could all make when in front of cameras, I imagine.

I have to say, when I saw the shattered state of the chap who finished his “flagging” session, I was in hysterics when the team leader said they would all go out clubbing afterwards. I say this with absolute light-heartedness, but perhaps he could have joked, instead, we’ll take our colleague to the hospital! Really enjoyed the programme again.

There was a line earlier about the bridge being “ sick”

• Like 1

I've met the leader of the steampunk team at our Broadland model railway club show with his railway, it's definitely not my style but the kids loved it.

I find not only kids but mum's and young families. The Dads might say they will build something similar for their family. It is trying to appeal to a broader market. (I make regular railways too). 

Here are some images of the 'TTT - Time Travel Train', now dismantled which is a shame as it has had 3 shows invites but we had no space (pardon the pun) for it. You should be used to puns by now watching James on TV. 

post-20066-0-12812700-1540109409.jpeg

post-20066-0-43740000-1540109416.jpeg

post-20066-0-52030600-1540109425.jpeg

post-20066-0-58327100-1540109504_thumb.jpeg

post-20066-0-91393300-1540109510_thumb.jpeg

Edited by LocoLaurie
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

There are RTR models of esoteric prototypes or one-offs, revised and improved versions of stalwarts, exciting developments in 0 gauge, crowdfunding methods enabling modellers to come together to self finance niche items, new scenic techniques such as laser cutting, download-and-print and static grass, DCC Sound and exciting developments happening in signals and control.

Yes, the retail side is changing but retailers with vision and foresight are adapting and evolving.

What this programme does is personalise the hobby - it's really about people, not bits of plastic. They're not mocked, or belittled, but shown using their skills to overcome challenges while having fun and enjoying themselves.

I'd argue that in itself is more likely to grow the hobby than any number of detailed demonstrations of how to apply ballast, or how to build a card building, all of which can easily be found on You Tube.

Cheers

Ben A.

Agree with most above but not the challenge to my statement re shrivelling slowly. The central spine of our hobby will be strong until it is the last man/woman standing. That will disguise decline in the periphery. I hope I am wrong, and that GMRC is a catalyst for change.

The BARB figures for the first episode show over 1.25 million viewers. That’s more than Big Brother or even walking britains lost railways but less than Paddington station at about 1.7 million. That’s probably a very good start. It will be interesting to see how the figures settle down in future weeks. If figures remain over the 1 million mark I guess it will be seen as a successful. I know nothing about the TV industry or expectations for this programme.

I hope it becomes an annual thing.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Apart from these three lines I agree with most of what is in Reply #841

I think the rest of that Reply can be entirely consistent with the quote that you disagreed with "...slowly shrivelling from the bottom up ..."

What percentage of your customers are not already model railway geeks? 

...R

How can you disagree with  'Hello all'?

• Like 2

I find not only kids but mum's and young families. The Dads might say they will build something similar for their family. It is trying to appeal to a broader market. (I make regular railways too).

Here are some images of the 'TTT - Time Travel Train', now dismantled which is a shame as it has had 3 shows invites but we had no space (pardon the pun) for it. You should be used to puns by now watching James on TV.

I see someone collects ultramarines :). Was forever trying to get a look at what space marines you used Edited by Edge
  • Like 1

Its wonderful stuff, getting people enthused about model railways, but the reality is something dire when they want to follow up.

Hornby drops this lump of #### in our laps.  A loco thats seen "better" decades in a fictional livery, two fictional livery wagons, two non-livery wagons and no brake van...

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/west-coast-highlander-train-set.html

There's no imagination at all from the leading Model Railway brand in the UK, just the same old regurgitated rubbish.  It would be interesting to give the teams such a set in the scratchbuild challenge section and ask them to make something interesting from it.......

• Like 1

That set's aimed at the kids market and i doubt they are bothered about whether it's got a brake van or not (even if they actually know what one is!)... So it doesn't matter what it looks like as long as it works (it does) and is colourful to attract they market it's aimed at (it is)... End of story, really, if it was aimed at the serious modeller then I'd agree, but it isn't and does the job it's meant to...

My first set was the Triang Snow Rescue set, full of gimmicks so many of you dislike, very colourful and not at all realistic. But it got me started in Model Railways and I'm still here 5 decades later... Horses of courses...

• Like 2

That set's aimed at the kids market and i doubt they are bothered about whether it's got a brake van or not (even if they actually know what one is!)... So it doesn't matter what it looks like as long as it works (it does) and is colourful to attract they market it's aimed at (it is)... End of story, really, if it was aimed at the serious modeller then I'd agree, but it isn't and does the job it's meant to...

My first set was the Triang Snow Rescue set, full of gimmicks so many of you dislike, very colourful and not at all realistic. But it got me started in Model Railways and I'm still here 5 decades later... Horses of courses...

I'm not sure if I was fortunate as a youngster to get a fully working second hand HD layout rather than a train set. It was just a loop on a 5x3 baseboard with a reverse curve and a siding but the points were wire in tube with a "proper" lever frame and it all worked. I couldn't though try out different track arrangements and I actually preferred my friend's Hornby 0 gauge clockwork trains because we could lay out the track on the floor in different ways.

I've often thought that the traditional train set with an oval of track is a bit lacking in imagination. It's supposed to give a beginner everything they need to get started but it might be better to take them a couple of steps further from the start. Watching a train going round and round gets old very quickly but adding a couple of points and enough track for a loop or a couple of sidings to a set like that would surely be far more likely to create future long term customers without much of an increase in price.  In an absolute beginner's set I don't think the authenticity of the loco is as important as its reliability. If it stalls or derails every time it goes over a set of points it's likely to end up in the back of a cupboard very quickly.  

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

...R

Indeed, but my point is not that the hobby is in good health, but in better health than I have ever known, for all the reasons I was careful to list.

As an aside, I noticed that you used the phrase 'model railway geeks' which strikes me as the sort of belittling phrase this programme - I am happy to say - has avoided.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 2