Bachmann Class 47

steveb860

45059 have you amended the dominos on nse and ic versions? They don't look as oversize (my only real beef with the Bach 47). If so wht did you do? Or is just illusion with black backing plates?

M

Nice models btw

It's the black backing plate that makes them look smaller and really improves the model. That's part of the reason I went with an Intercity liveried one with black light surrounds (see post #433, page 18).

It's the black backing plate that makes them look smaller and really improves the model. That's part of the reason I went with an Intercity liveried one with black light surrounds (see post #433, page 18).

In answer to your question- what he said! lol.

45059 have you amended the dominos on nse and ic versions? They don't look as oversize (my only real beef with the Bach 47). If so wht did you do? Or is just illusion with black backing plates?

M

Nice models btw

I would agree, the marker light's on the NSE/IC versions definitely look smaller, more to scale than on 47 156 - perhaps Bachmann will revise this issue at some point on future releases.

Nice line up of duffs also !

Edited by tractor_37260

After missing out on 47715, can't believe how quickly they went, I see some retailers still advertising 47707 in NSE but it's not on the Bachmann product list on their website. I take it thats a mistake?, on the retailers part.

https://railsofsheffield.com/class-47-47707-holyrood-br-network-south-east-free-uk-post-now-due-2013-14-31-654-JJJA18904.aspx

Edited by david12345

Thanks for reply. Should have looked at my own as have some with black head codes. Alas cannot justify whole fleet with black panels so need to devise an easy fix... Looking at closely I wonder whether painting out the black grommet in yellow might improve things? I know not prototypical but might create similar illusion to black on black.

Btw 47596 in blue with grey roof was my first ever model I bought (Lima) - alas body was swapped for an rf grey 47363 when I thought blue was dull. She'll always have a special place in my heart tho I doubt I'll model her again with my Scottish region bias and so many Ed beasts to replicate

M

• RMweb Premium

After missing out on 47715, can't believe how quickly they went, I see some retailers still advertising 47707 in NSE but it's not on the Bachmann product list on their website. I take it thats a mistake?, on the retailers part.

https://railsofsheffield.com/class-47-47707-holyrood-br-network-south-east-free-uk-post-now-due-2013-14-31-654-JJJA18904.aspx

I don't think Bachmann has officially cancelled 47707 yet, it's just that they haven't currently got the correct tooling to produce the cabs and roof combination for this specific loco, hence the change to 47715.

Arcadia ,Shaw, still have NSE 47 for sale at £86 if you still need one

Concur very nice. I have 035 sitting waiting for some improvements including a cure for the wobble...

Thebritfarmer I too wish Bach would bring out a banger blue 47 like this too. Correct me if I'm wrong tho but I thought lady Diana spencer was released from works in large logo tho? I have a list of blue Scottish 47s I want to model and actually have a stash of suitable body shells waiting for some time with the airbrush... A mix of Inverness and ed beasts when I get the time.

M

Thanks Guys,

I have done a few others from the 035 model, I wasn't that keen on the model when it first came out with all it's faults but when Rails started to sell them off at 35 quid I bought a few to do up. My 47418 has modified tanks where as this one has tanks from a later model. I stopped the wobble by glueing two thin bits of plasticard either side of the gear tower stopping most of the movement, I only did it at one end it seems to work quite well.

Cheers Peter. 

post-7022-0-38748600-1379596140_thumb.jpg

Thanks Guys,

I have done a few others from the 035 model, I wasn't that keen on the model when it first came out with all it's faults but when Rails started to sell them off at 35 quid I bought a few to do up. My 47418 has modified tanks where as this one has tanks from a later model. I stopped the wobble by glueing two thin bits of plasticard either side of the gear tower stopping most of the movement, I only did it at one end it seems to work quite well.

Cheers Peter. 

Hi Peter,

Mine was originally an '035 too... and wobbled as lots of them do. I thinned the material around the central pillar and then added plastikard pieces to bring the ride height back again... so that the side supports do touch the inner face of the chassis block. It's now solid.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nimbus20/8542090201/in/set-72157629059423555/

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

47746 below is my first Bachmann 47 and I'm pretty pleased with the way it's turned out. When I first saw the Bachie 47, those marker lights struck me as being way too big, but whether I'm just getting used to them or whether they're not so oversized after all (0.2mm I believe), I don't know, but looking at the front doesn't jar in quite the same way it used to for me.

The jumper cables on the front benefit from replacement with fine wire, and the addition of the tiny cable clips on the marker panel. Other than that, this was just a weathering job for me, apart from attaching the nameplates of course (with double-sided tape).

What struck me as I worked on it was how fine the moulding is in places compared to Heljan's offering, which has been my mainstay up to now. I think a few more Bachmann 47s might be in order, but it will take a while for me to replace all my Heljan ones, if I ever do.

post-7247-0-72590700-1380536456_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-16371800-1380536206_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-06271700-1380536480_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-28946800-1380536674_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 8

47746 below is my first Bachmann 47 and I'm pretty pleased with the way it's turned out. When I first saw the Bachie 47, those marker lights struck me as being way too big, but whether I'm just getting used to them or whether they're not so oversized after all (0.2mm I believe), I don't know, but looking at the front doesn't jar in quite the same way it used to for me.

The jumper cables on the front benefit from replacement with fine wire, and the addition of the tiny cable clips on the marker panel. Other than that, this was just a weathering job for me, apart from attaching the nameplates of course (with double-sided tape).

What struck me as I worked on it was how fine the moulding is in places compared to Heljan's offering, which has been my mainstay up to now. I think a few more Bachmann 47s might be in order, but it will take a while for me to replace all my Heljan ones, if I ever do.

attachicon.gif47746.jpg

attachicon.gif47746 2.jpg

attachicon.gif47746 1.jpg

attachicon.gif47746 9.jpg

Cheers,

Dave

You mean 47745, not 746 :yes: :D

attachicon.gif47746.jpg

attachicon.gif47746 2.jpg

attachicon.gif

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave

Interesting photos. Re the marker light sizes - is it perhaps possible that Bach have revised their size on the latest releases ? they certainly don't appear so "jarring" to the eye in these photos. I've used (painted) fine fuse wire for the PP cables in the past, much more to scale than what's supplied.   Are the cab side windows pushed fully into-place ? from your photos they do look very un-flush.  

Great model and layout

Regards

Ken

hi

may I ask where you source the ETH cables from ?

thanks

Dave

Hi Dave,

The ETH sockets are made up from plasticard rod filed to shape themn fine wire for the cable. Hope that helps.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Dave

Interesting photos. Re the marker light sizes - is it perhaps possible that Bach have revised their size on the latest releases ? they certainly don't appear so "jarring" to the eye in these photos. I've used (painted) fine fuse wire for the PP cables in the past, much more to scale than what's supplied.   Are the cab side windows pushed fully into-place ? from your photos they do look very un-flush.  

Great model and layout

Regards

Ken

You might be right, Ken. I certainly hope they have altered them. The original ones really did "jar" for me when I first saw them, to the point where I decided to carry on with my Heljan 47s. 

You might be right about the cab side windows too. I'll check them out and make sure they're pushed fully in. it's amazing what you can spot on a photo that you just can't see in real life. Thanks!

Cheers,

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Good comparison of the two different marker light types on 47/7s:

10070043926_232368d137_c.jpg

47708 47709 Exeter St Davids by philipparsons50008, on Flickr

Yes and no. Most 47s had one end with each type as shown - the photo shows No.1 end of 47708 and No.2 end of 47709. Here is a photo of 47708's No. 2 end, which you will see is the same as 47709 in your photo. http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v3.php?img=0748020835000

Edited by brushman47544

Yes and no. Most 47s had one end with each type as shown - the photo shows No.1 end of 47708 and No.2 end of 47709. Here is a photo of 47708's No. 2 end, which you will see is the same as 47709 in your photo. http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v3.php?img=0748020835000

Agreed and known.  I've just posted the photo to allow comparison with the Bachmann model, as the marker lights are the point of criticism.  I'm not making any comment on the permutations of Class 47 marker lights!

I've always wondered about this.  Why were they different?

The surface mounted ones (number 2 end, per 47709 above) were used to avoid equipment fitted on or close to the back of the No.2 end headcode blanking plate.  The No.1 end clear discs were illuminated from behind by the old headcode lighting, but this wasn't possible once the kit was fitted at the other end, I think its headcode lighting was fully removed.

It's all here, anyway - I had it bookmarked, scroll down just over halfway to the section entitled 'Stand Still Fitted'

http://sulzerpower.com/frontends/headcodepanels.html