Hornby 2019 announcements

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

He's right about the illustration, though. The Pullmans shown have trussed underframes; Railroad ones don't.

John

Pictures of a new range are illustrations only! The 21ton mineral illustrated as a new model is the Dapol one without NEM pockets so best not to take them as gospel as to what will actually emerge....

Phil

• RMweb Gold

I’m thinking of doing the same with the skinhead 31. Think I’ll go for 444 as it had no fan cowling like 102, whereas 418 does. Less work the better for me!

You dont get away that easily, you’ll need a headlamp and orange cantrail too !

In addition to the above, 31418 had its centre window plated over.

You need to ensure you have both couplings though, on the Blackpool and Barrows they were so unreliable they got the nickname of Toilets... Thirty One Inside Loco Expect Trouble.

At one point it was so bad they’d send 2 out on a 4 coach train, and it would still come back hauled by a springs branch 60.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Track rubber for me --- I hope it's a magic one -- rub the track three times and a Genie appears  - wonder what my wish will be !!!!!!

Anyway, a decent selection - Perhaps a 0-6-0 Pecket (along with the magic rubber)..

Brit15

It's DCC Brit, so is that OK?

• RMweb Premium

First impression only - this is an excellent list for steam era Southern, Western and industrial enthusiasts, thin on the ground for the rest of us.

Edited by Downer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

First impression only - this is a good list for steam era Southern, Western and industrial enthusiasts, thin on the ground for the rest of us.

Its pretty good if you model Modern Scotrail, not bad if you model LMS/LMR

And I think generally pretty good for enthusiasts that don't have huge wallets

Agree if your Eastern Region , other than re released A4 and A3 your probably not that excited.

But generally pretty balanced I think

fair play to Bachmann, they have trodden a log and winding road with the class 37. 

No, only Hornby make the Class 50  :angel:

Class 48. Shunters. Agree that 10800 would fill a gap. Er, so would the Fell.

Hmmmmm. Really?   :no:

post-35437-0-44225700-1546870667_thumb.jpg

In the latter part of its last mainline ticket. I ran around 6 or 7 runs in LNER blue, around 2011-2012, though as best i can recall it was running as 4492 Dominion of New Zealand at the time. It was previously in BR green as 60019 Bittern and did a few trips then with it.
4464 reverted to its true identity in time for the Great Gathering in 2013 I Dont think I saw it after 2013 behind 4464, (remeber the WB incident stopped steam, then LSL started to become a TOC), its possible its only been 4464 Bittern with two tenders after it went out of ticket and storage at Margate.

Bittern was indeed running as 4492 Dominion of New Zealand with two tenders during 2011, this photo was taken on the 26th May 2011 passing Reigate with a Cathedrals Express to Bath & Bristol.

Keith

• Like 4

Interesting selection of stuff. Nothing that leaps out at me as a must buy, although the 48DS might be a worthwhile acquisition.

There's plenty of evidence here that, at least for Hornby, industrials sell. A whole swathe of new releases, not just new liveries on existing tooling but new models as well. Constructors of micro-layouts are well served by this, especially with re-release of the LMS Pug as well as the Pecketts.

It's interesting that there's a heavily weathered 9F in the Railroad range. Weathering, either factory-applied or post-purchase, tends to be more prevalent among the hobbyist community rather than the train set market, so it makes me wonder who this model is aimed at. Do train set buyers now want more realism? Or do they think this might also appeal to more budget-conscious modellers?

• RMweb Premium

Interesting and varied announcement. And one that strikes quite a confident note overall.

What I like is that the Hornby team have produced some genuine surprises (Sliding door Mk3s, 0-6-0ST Pecketts, Ruston diesels, Terriers) but that you can see people buying into.

I think this highlights the fact that Hornby do know their market reasonably well and that it's wider than just RMWeb-ers. Although there's been a lot of moaning online about the return to a 'big-bang' style range announcement, this one does seem to have got people excited as well as delivering on some of the (self-induced) hype.

It will be interesting to see what the models that no-one guessed at or wished for do. As Henry Ford is often quoted as saying when asked if he believed in asking customers what they want:
“If I had asked them what they had wanted, they would have said a faster horse.”

• Like 1

G'Day Folks

That was a disappointment, I was expecting after the ' New and exciting'  to have something 'New and Exciting, most of it is Same O- Same O, another Princess another GWR tank engine, and a 100 repaints, Ah well I'll save some money.

manna

As you have posted elsewhere:

G'Day Gents

Well that was a total waste of time, if Hornby think they're going to drag any money out of me, No chance, Everything's been done before except for the little 0-4-0 diesel, there are so many loco's to model, and we get stuck with the same old stuff, year after year, not even the Bugatti P2, which wouldn't be to much hassle. I said a load of rubbish, on RM Web............and it got deleted. 

manna icon_evil.gif

As you can see nothing was deleted so please go and tell people there you were wrong (you can't even quote yourself correctly); there again you're also wrong in saying that 'everything's been done before' - I get fed up of people talking garbage.

Next time, just save your keystrokes eh?

• Like 10

I'm afraid, Mr Manna, that I must have missed the 0-6-0 Pecketts produced en-masse in the past? And the LSWR brake vans? And the Bulleid Multidoor stock?

Oh wait - anything not from ones chosen company looks the same doesn't it. Shame for you to come out with such rubbish as your modelling is fantastic.

A J36 in ROD livery - excellent!  But in khaki?

In Aves excellent book on the ROD (R.O.D. - The Railway Operating Division on the Western Front) he tells us that NBR locos were in their original livery in 1916 (black lined yellow) and were,like other locos sent either in that livery to France or, where repainted, it was in plain black or grey. He adds "As time went on most ROD tender locos were repainted plain black with the letters ROD, and in some cases their running numbers, in large 20" white characters on their tenders."

A photo of the loco from Hornby appears on page 118 of his book with ROD 5662 on the tender on its return from France at the end of the war.  The loco would have been black at the time it had this livery having arrived in France in November 1917 and returned to Eastfield Shed in around May 1919.  Black was the predominant colour of ROD locos yet both the Oxford Dean Goods and this J36 appear in khaki.  Is it too late to get Hornby to change it to the correct black?

• RMweb Gold

Hope the short Bulleid coaches colour match with the Bachmann ones when they arrive in 2019/20/21/22.

Might pick up a Stanier period III 3rd to add variety to my Saturday excursions.

xLMS brakes van, will need one of those and maybe the LSWR one.

And maybe, just maybe, 4014, as I am hoping to get to see the real thing in steam this year.

Sadly, still no Class 123.

I'm hoping the Bulleids will match my Hornby Maunsells, I know the Bachmann shade matches the prototype colour well, but it looks way too dark on a 1:76 scale model. 

Bachmann will do as they will but if theirs turn up in "stealth green", I'll just get crimson/cream ones. Hence no pre-orders from me on those.

John

• RMweb Gold

Its pretty good if you model Modern Scotrail, not bad if you model LMS/LMR

And I think generally pretty good for enthusiasts that don't have huge wallets

Agree if your Eastern Region , other than re released A4 and A3 your probably not that excited.

But generally pretty balanced I think

There's more than enough there for me. Found my credit card hiding under the sofa, quivering nervously, by mid-day. :jester:  

I'm even tempted to a 5101 (the preserved 4160) and a set of those non-corridors.....

John

Hope the short Bulleid coaches colour match with the Bachmann ones when they arrive in 2019/20/21/22.

Might pick up a Stanier period III 3rd to add variety to my Saturday excursions.

xLMS brakes van, will need one of those and maybe the LSWR one.

And maybe, just maybe, 4014, as I am hoping to get to see the real thing in steam this year.

Sadly, still no Class 123.

I would be surprised if the Hornby Bulleid coaches match the Bachmann ones in colour either in Southern malachite green or in British Railways coach green number 11.

• RMweb Gold

Ouch, I feel my wallet getting a hit as there’s a few things that have ticked my interest boxes. 87002 in Caledonian livery, the 800 and Mk III’s in LNER livery for starters.

If I’ve got any money left, which is doubtful lol, the Northern Belle set and add on set though not so sure about the dodgy looking 57601! I’d consider the Belmont Orient Express set but there’s on three coaches and the majority are not available.

Shame about no sign of a upgraded Class 91 and Mk IV’s. Up to you Bachmann hint, hint lol

Edited by jools1959

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifIMG_0376.JPG

Bittern was indeed running as 4492 Dominion of New Zealand with two tenders during 2011, this photo was taken on the 26th May 2011 passing Reigate with a Cathedrals Express to Bath & Bristol.

Keith

Check again please...

That picture is 4492 Dominion of New Zealand, which is 4464 in disguise.

It ran like this until 2013 (actually late 2012).

That picture is NOT what Hornby is making.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_12_2018/post-1-0-43658700-1545643426.jpg

Hornby are making 4464 as it is stored in Margate.

Afaik it has never been displayed in public (static or in steam) in the condition Hornby is proposing to make. Though if Margate is opened to the public, they would see it in this condition.

I believe it was displayed like this in 2017/8 for a day at Crewe LSL depot prior to loading the lorry to Margate, but that wasnt a public event either.

The tender started in BR Green as 60019, and was painted in 2010 to match the masquerade as 4492. In 2013 Bittern reverted as 4464 in blue, but i dont believe the tender used after this reversion.

Bittern left the mainline in 2014, and ran at the Mid Hants Railway and lastly at the Bluebell railway in 2015, and definitely without the tender.

The model is in its “as stored out of public view” condition, happy to be proved wrong on this (indeed i would like to be proved wrong, even if it was for only 1 railtour). 4492 with silver numbers / letters would be accurate for a rendering in working condition, but in proposed model condition its only been seen by a select few people who have access to it at Margate.

You could of course, just run it without the 2nd tender, and leave it on Southall, later Crewe shed... that would be accurate and represent it in its July 3rd 2013- November 1st 2015 condition, with the 2013 90mph commeration plaque, which was added after June 29th’s Ebor Streak at 92mph run from KX to York.

Edited by adb968008

No, only Hornby make the Class 50  :angel:

Hmmmmm. Really?   :no:

That “Really?” was in response to mention of a Class 48. In turn, the mention was in response to someone who asked what hadn’t been done in RTR. Are you telling me that a Class 48 has been done in RTR?

• Like 1

I just did the math, there is no way those Pullman coaches are full-spec at that pack price considering the loco is super detailed.

But there is a precedent in releasing train packs cheaper than buying the items separately. The BR late crest SECR H Class with 2 Push/Pull coaches was about £150 RRP. Yet the loco was about £125 and the carriages were £75 separate. Do the Math(s)….

Jason

But there is a precedent in releasing train packs cheaper than buying the items separately. The BR late crest SECR H Class with 2 Push/Pull coaches was about £150 RRP. Yet the loco was about £125 and the carriages were £75 separate. Do the Math(s)….

Jason

I didn't know about those as it isn't my era thus if that's the case then the Belmond Pullman Pack is a crazy bargain especially when you can pre-order for about £203 from Rails, you are literally getting 2 free coaches at that price and how Hornby are making any money on that is anybody's guess  :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

the Northern Belle set and add on set though not so sure about the dodgy looking 57601!

They caught my eye too as I've a thing for the Northern Belle, having done a few trips on it. It was the ViTrains twin pack a few years ago that got me back into railway modelling.

I already have a full rake, but I see 'Alnwick' is now in the Coach Pack. Can't see me buying a whole pack though just to get that 1 coach. I've got some transfers (Frizzinghall?) that I've to get round to applying to one of my duplicates. Surprised they didn't do the Mk3 Sleeper named Balmoral as the Crewe version still goes for silly money on eBay. The brake car 17167 has been named Mow Cop for some time, but Hornby don't seem to have reflected this, unless the model will be updated from the publicity shots.

As for the train pack, I've got all the coaches and I would need to be really convinced that they have accurately modelled the 57 in its new West Coast livery. Besides, with 2 x ViTrains 47's, a Hornby 47 and 2 x Bachmann 57's, my Northern Belle fleet is already excessive.

Edited by Scottish-Exile
  • Like 2