Hornby 2019 announcements

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

I was very pleasantly surprised by these announcements, I think it's a very strong line up with a good range of prosaic but useful models such the GWR and Southern coaches, large prairie, industrial diesel and 0-6-0 Peckett. And the Princess will please a lot of people. The plug door Mk.3's were unexpected. Yes it would have been nice to see a newly tooled diesel or electric, but there are enough good releases in there that it's not the end of the world to not have a new diesel or electric.

A very interesting day from Hornby, there is very little there that jumps out at me personally as a 'must have' but i understand not everyone likes the same thing, and im happy with that.

What surprises me most is what is not on the list, no new Bulleid Light Pacific, no new/reliveried class 08 (a surprise given the amount of other types of small shunters being released), for me, a disapointment is no new class 50, and only touched upon by a few on here is no new class 56. Im also very surprised that the DBC class 60 has not been joined by a GBRf class 60, 60095, especially given the number of GBRf locos being done this year. Im also a little surprised South West Trains livery has not appeared on the 4VEP yet.

But hey ho, who knows, DCR 56303 appeared out of the blue late last year, maybe more may come from Hornby yet.

Quite possible this was deliberate: spike the competition whilst they are small...   As for being 'first' - first to what? Think of it - Kohler? Announce it - Rails. Deliver it - Hornby?

judging by the predicted delivery dates, it is certain that Hornby had the prairie in development long before the Dapol announcement of theirs. Much as people enjoy conspiracies in this case clearly false. Dapol are simply unlucky.

On the trade order form, it is possible to see a running total of what how much you are ordering, by value. (once you tweak a slightly incorrect formula).

This years' total is far outstripping the spend from previous years, and we still have a lot of the range to look at yet.

If our experience is being repeated by other retailers, then Hornby's ambitious 2019 announcement would point towards a more stable financial position. Isn't this exactly what we want to see happen to them?

• Like 8

Well I for one am happy.

1/  Hornby are planning for vigorous and intelligently-designed program with excellent models.

2/  The new Princess will be a stunner if it is as good as recent models.

Re-paints of existing models like Britannias and original Bulleids, all marvellous.  A lot to look forward to.  And I just collect and photograph models..   I understand some people actually run them on layouts.    There's nowt so weird as folks...

Cheers 

typo edit

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

Behind the eye catching new models, the bottom line interest is in the different variants of the Flying Scotsman, various A4s and a reissue of teak coaching stock. You'd think those combos will be good and profitable sellers. Ditto the classic HST.

David

Behind the eye catching new models, the bottom line interest is in the different variants of the Flying Scotsman, various A4s and a reissue of teak coaching stock. You'd think those combos will be good and profitable sellers. Ditto the classic HST.

David

I agree there have been some intelligent choices made with limited investment, such as a wartime black Bulleid.  And others, like 'Duchess of Montrose'.

Just seen this, lots of time to save up for a renumbered LNER Toad Brake Van and nothing else for the LNER modeller .other than a Thompson O1 with NE lettering on the Tender.

All the other LNER type items are either preservation, BR or a stationary Scotsman from Wembley 1923 which never moved a inch = WOW !!! 

edit

FS never had a 8 wheel tender at Wembley ,it was too long with one to fit into the Hall. It was paired with a K3 Stepped out Copings Group standard 6 wheel Tender . Info from RCTS LNER Pt 2a which has a photo of FS in that pairing at the Wembley exhibition.

Whoops Hornby.

That's it's 1924 condition. It's correct.

https://www.culture24.org.uk/history-and-heritage/transport-and-industry/art424033

Jason

• RMweb Gold

Like the industrials, steam and diesel. 

Disappointed they've introduce the big ex-Lima Cl 66 but not the ex-Lima Cl 20 although, as one is coming from someone else, albeit not at Railroad prices that is understandable.

Most of the rest, good models but either won't fit a small layout or I've already got one of the one's I would buy.

Edited by john new

Thank you. For the last two years they have not known anything about the offer at W. H. Smith at Swanage but I will try them again on 9th January. If they have not got a catalogue with the Hornby Magazine I will order one from shop.keypublishing.com. Smiths do give me a free copy of the Sun when I buy a magazine but the catalogue will be much more interesting.

Last year in WH Smiths the magazine and catalogue were not on sale as a "bundle". You picked up both items individually, and the discounted price was activated at the till.

I don't understand why they have chosen to stand on so many toes - Bachmann, rails, Dapol, hattons, djmodels (although I guess the last one is debatable) to name but a few. I would have thought the duplication reduces the profits for all the players. Time will tell if the policy is successful I guess. Network rail mk2's for me this year that's all.

Mark

I note that the photoshopped livery A3 (e.g. 4472 with GNR tender) now have the ski-slop running plate.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_12_2018/post-1-0-66461500-1545643490_thumb.jpg

Obviously these catalogue images are often created from pre-production models photoshopped into the correct livery. Hornby seem to have updated the base photo with a model from their new suppliers, massive faults an all! The again, the catalogue pic has the old loco-tender clip, so not quite sure what the origins of this picture are!

Come on Hornby. Reinvest a fraction of a percentage of the profits you will make from this years range into sorting the A3s, or even better, get the factory to correct, at their own expense, the slap-dash job they did with the (retooled?) running plate. If Sanda Kan could get things straight, why can't your (not so) new suppliers?

You dont get away that easily, you’ll need a headlamp and orange cantrail too !

In addition to the above, 31418 had its centre window plated over.

You need to ensure you have both couplings though, on the Blackpool and Barrows they were so unreliable they got the nickname of Toilets... Thirty One Inside Loco Expect Trouble.

At one point it was so bad they’d send 2 out on a 4 coach train, and it would still come back hauled by a springs branch 60.

I’m modelling prior to ‘89, so it doesn’t have a headlight but yes, it requires orange cant stripe.

On the trade order form, it is possible to see a running total of what how much you are ordering, by value. (once you tweak a slightly incorrect formula).

This years' total is far outstripping the spend from previous years, and we still have a lot of the range to look at yet.

If our experience is being repeated by other retailers, then Hornby's ambitious 2019 announcement would point towards a more stable financial position. Isn't this exactly what we want to see happen to them?

Picking my selection was easy, until, just like you Mike. No running total, unles l have filled the order form in wrong. Rough calculation and l appear to have spent more than l did on my first house.

Currently playing Chicken with the send button.

Still had no response for requests to crowdfund our shop.

• RMweb Premium

I don't understand why they have chosen to stand on so many toes - Bachmann, rails, Dapol, hattons, djmodels (although I guess the last one is debatable) to name but a few. I would have thought the duplication reduces the profits for all the players. Time will tell if the policy is successful I guess. Network rail mk2's for me this year that's all.

Mark

I'm guessing there'll be a variety of reasons. For all we know Hornby were working on them before others announced and see no need to be the ones to back out. They must be confident that there is a market for the models and they'll make the necessary return from them. And I suspect in some cases there probably is an element of sending a message to the competition that if they want to park tanks on Hornby's lawn then Hornby can return the favour. Either way, it's a free market and let the best models win, I see no issue with it and welcome healthy competition.

• RMweb Gold

One thing that I've noticed that is lacking is Hornby's attempts at modern image wagons this year. Plenty of modern locomotives and rolling stock in the way of coaches (which I'm very happy about) but it seems they can't keep up or compete with the smaller manufactures or commissions that bring out modern image wagons to everyone.

Feel like they have missed an opportunity with some more direct competition (which seems to be largely their focus in 2019) by releasing cheaper, older, more common tooling with modern image liveries to sell to the masses.

Edited by Richy59

A very interesting day from Hornby, there is very little there that jumps out at me personally as a 'must have' but i understand not everyone likes the same thing, and im happy with that.

What surprises me most is what is not on the list, no new Bulleid Light Pacific, no new/reliveried class 08 (a surprise given the amount of other types of small shunters being released), for me, a disapointment is no new class 50, and only touched upon by a few on here is no new class 56. Im also very surprised that the DBC class 60 has not been joined by a GBRf class 60, 60095, especially given the number of GBRf locos being done this year. Im also a little surprised South West Trains livery has not appeared on the 4VEP yet.

But hey ho, who knows, DCR 56303 appeared out of the blue late last year, maybe more may come from Hornby yet.

yes, but in all fairness to Hornby - There were 2 Class 50's last year which are still available (plus D400 the year before), so its probably sensible to give them a break this year.  Plus quite a few 56303's.  GBRf Class 60 - would imagine that would be next year - the real one has not been out that long, and 2019's programe would probably have been started a year or so ago.  Regarding Class 08's - they don't seem to sell that well - 08623 in DB and 08644 Laira are still available.  Hornby have stated that they don't want to be in the game of discounting stock, so will want older Class 08's, Class 56 & Class 50's to sell out first.

Wonder if there is the likelihood that Locomotion may do a 43002/43185 Pack......there are certainly some MTU's to come out!

Regards,

C.

G'Day Folks

Time to eat 'Humble pie'  First  apologies to Andy Y. for accusing him of deleting a post, I did write a post at approx 9.15 (oz time) 10.45 UK time, in a bit of a hurry, if Andy Y didn't delete it, and I take his word, then it was me that didn't post it properly. For that I am sorry.

As I said I was in a bit of a rush, so didn't read everything completely, so we now have a 0-6-0 Peckett, a nice little 0-4-0 diesel, which are nice 'New' models. The Princess, although new, has been available, for many years same again with the Large Prairie, so I don't classify them as 'New' even though they are, remodeled, models.!

New coaches, sorry, but if they aren't teak, they don't mean much.

Diesels, saw many of the older type diesel, I do model a few, indeed earned a living on them, but for anything after a class 60, I've only ever seen pictures of them.

Maybe I was over hyped, with 'There's something for everyone, this year' Me thinking, Oh good, one loco from each old Company..then zilch.

Interesting for a lot of people, but not me.

manna

Edited by manna
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I think Hornby utilising their KFA wagon tooling to add KFA Log Carriers would have been a great addition to 2019 thus a shame it wasn't done.

Going OT from the Hornby thread.

The KFA that Hornby have done and the KFA log carrier bear little or no resemblance other than the code KFA

There don't seem to be any mis-steps that can be laid at Simon Kohler's door here.

I wonder if the periodic sniping at Simon will stop now?

The Nim.

Maybe, but Three Flying Scotsmans (including A1 and a 2 tender version) and Walter K Whigan in blue - suddenly I felt I was reliving the 1990s again  :O

An exciting program for sure. A bit of US navy culture in there ("Don't step on me!"), some areas they will do extremely well. Others could risk ending up as a costly experiment in trying find and foster new blood but they are trying and drive away competition.

Hornby was badly burned with the King/71/Adams duplication (though in the long run they will gain as the opposition's model either never appeared, fell short or has no chance of being rerun) which showed that showing your cards failed to deter a competitor and even gave them ample warning. However keeping things under wraps and springing the surprise once everything was in place worked a dream with the Q6, now repeated with the Terrier and 61XX.

The big players are responding to the niche players/commsionioners. Stepping on our ground will lead to serious consequences. 

I hope the specials aimed at young and budding modelers work. Not sure if they needed 9 old tooling 66s though! 3 or 4 would have been enough to kindle mid-entrants fires.

Or maybe these ex lima locos (often in liveries done elsewhere previously) plus all these shunting models is perhaps a modern admission that still the bulk of the market still prefers things that cost less then £100.

There will be lot of lessons learned from this years program for sure.

Hornby 2019 very nice lots of things to buy my wallet crying already. Only few more things i would have liked and that is class 86 newly tooled, class 91 retool, drs coaches,  dvt intercity maybe 2020 for theses  unless there some more stuff to come late in the year. but over all its an improvement on previous years.