Hornby 2019 announcements

Andy Y

If you want an approximation to what the "Hogwarts" tax would amount to, you only have to compare the new "Hogwarts Castle" to "Olton Hall", which is identical apart from the name and the tender branding*:

R3169 Olton Hall.jpg

R3804 Hogwarts Castle.jpg

Even at list price, Adderly is very competitive with HC as is Rood Ashton for that matter!

( * Oops! Forgot the Hogwarts Castle headboard, which must push the price up a little...)

Hornby were advertising on facebook that Hogwarts Castle comes with a working headlight as well.

https://www.facebook.com/53107985842/posts/10155768385490843/

• RMweb Gold

I think as a general rule of thumb, retailers sell for roughly double what the manufacturer sells to them 

… I'm amazed a retailer hasn't choked on their breakfast reading that and responded, maybe they are just too stunned.  :O

I think your confusing RRP with actual Selling price.

When I did some retailing in the 1990s, the Cost to RRP margins was still double digit less than your suggestion and VAT  took the biggest chunk (on top of cost price, to claim back and was then deducted from the final sale to pay).

The manufacturers are trying to get retailers to preserve their margins by not discounting, as the final margins seen at some places have been very very low, low as single digits on some occasions. which is why so many names have gone.

As the theory seems to be going, expectations are manufacturers make less priced for more, retailers sell less but make more, and so modellers will pay more and buy less... unfortunately this just a reducing volume and achieving a higher margin, which is stagnation, unless the hobby grows, or at minimum continues to buy at the same volumes but accept paying more for it. To Counter that it seems to be that by making cheaper priced models, it is aiming to retain the spend too and strangle (or at least contain) the competition with the cheaper duplication. If the economy holds this could work.

Ive said in the past make what people can afford.. it seems that this is the definition of the 2019 range.

Of all models announced the MK2F seems the oddest choice, especially as it was 6 years ago that Bachmann announced it, however the 6 week window has passed and the margins on the £54 "Cheap" Bachmann version will be falling. If your a retailer, regardless tomorrows announcements, when the Hornby one offers £34.95 with the retailer getting full margin, which are they most likely to re-order in the future ?

We as modellers certainly wont be complaining if this brings a price reduction from Bachmann as a result... certainly a chasm has appeared between the companies when it comes to price, even if the detail level is less, the wider the gulf it gets harder to ignore.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

If you want an approximation to what the "Hogwarts" tax would amount to, you only have to compare the new "Hogwarts Castle" to "Olton Hall", which is identical apart from the name and the tender branding*:

Hmm. Can I be the first pedant to point out that Hornby's website has incorrect technical data for "Hogwarts Castle". While I have no doubt that the model is, indeed, DCC ready, and the Operator/Livery appears to be correctly stated as "Hogwarts Express, Red", if it is, in reality, a Hall class, it cannot possibly have entered service in 1827-1835! Moreover, the designer is attributed as Ottaline Gambol, Minister for Magic. However, the Pottermore website (which I presume to be canonical in such matters) states that, while Gambol had the idea of using a train, she did not design it - rather, it was stolen from, according to Pottermore, Crewe. 

Of course, Crewe being the origin is not entirely consistent with the loco being a Hall class. But the image on Pottermore is also clearly not a Hall - instead, it's an 0-6-0 hauling what appear to be 6-wheel carriages. So, of course, it's entirely possible that Ottaline Gambol's first acquisition did, indeed, originate at Crewe, but one of her successors realised that an 0-6-0, even aided by magic, is not really suitable for hauling an express passenger train from London to Scotland, and replaced it with something more (for the time) state of the art. Either way, Gambol certainly didn't design it.

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/5972-hogwarts-castle.html

Edited by MarkSG
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hmm. Can I be the first pedant to point out that Hornby's website has incorrect technical data for "Hogwarts Castle". 

Difficult to find in the book of spells......

Pedanto Locomotor....................

:jester:

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Im somewhat surprised that Hornby have released two early crest M/N's in BR Brunswick green from the same modelling era for release in their 2019 programme.

Me too, I was rather hoping for General Steam Navigation or New Zealand Line with a cut-down tender. 

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hmm. Can I be the first pedant to point out that Hornby's website has incorrect technical data for "Hogwarts Castle". While I have no doubt that the model is, indeed, DCC ready, and the Operator/Livery appears to be correctly stated as "Hogwarts Express, Red", if it is, in reality, a Hall class, it cannot possibly have entered service in 1827-1835! Moreover, the designer is attributed as Ottaline Gambol, Minister for Magic. However, the Pottermore website (which I presume to be canonical in such matters) states that, while Gambol had the idea of using a train, she did not design in - rather, it was stolen from, according to Pottermore, Crewe. 

Of course, Crewe being the origin is not entirely consistent with the loco being a Hall class. But the image on Pottermore is also clearly not a Hall - instead, it's an 0-6-0 hauling what appear to be 6-wheel carriages. So, of course, it's entirely possible that Ottaline Gambol's first acquisition did, indeed, originate at Crewe, but one of her successors realised that an 0-6-0, even aided by magic, is not really suitable for hauling an express passenger train from London to Scotland, and replaced it with something more (for the time) state of the art. Either way, Gambol certainly didn't design it.

Some thoughts on wizarding rail and Kings Cross placed at the end Chap 1 of a Hogwarts Express story are here. https://archiveofourown.org/chapters/40211189#work_endnotes

When I go to Hornbys website I find, in stock.. 18 LNER classes...

J15, J36, J39, J50, J83, J94, K1, L1, B1, B12, B17, A1, A3, A4, D16, D49, P2, Q6

Without listing Hornbys entire site, that compares against 7-GWR, 6-LMS, 9-SR

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/locomotives/locomotives-by-class.html

LNER is somewhat over represented in the current range.

Before coming back saying the A3 and J83 are Railroad, so is the 3f in the LMS list, and county 4-4-0 in GWR.

Of those listed the following are actually available in Standard range in LNER livery

A4.       2

J15.    2 

J50.    1

J36.    NYA

O1 NYA (simple renumber of previous issue)

Q6.     1

Railroad LNER livery 4

Therefore 5 +2 , I would actually consider buying  if needed,  and the 4 Railroad versions which I wouldn't consider other than secondhand/cheap.

One new Loco awaits and one Loco with a new number and NE on the Tender  as above a grand total of 6  LNER Locos hardly a overload of products available.

The big problem with the LNER is the huge geographical area covered and Hornby's recent obsession with GER area only Locos.

• Like 3

Hornby were advertising on facebook that Hogwarts Castle comes with a working headlight as well.

https://www.facebook.com/53107985842/posts/10155768385490843/

Hadn't seen that little nugget!

So, a high intensity light where the shed-plate goes?  I suppose its not difficult, all that needs be done is provide a different smokebox door moulding and wire the led into the DCC socket. Now THAT'LL hike the price differential!

Difficult to find in the book of spells......

Pedanto Locomotor....................

:jester:

If you get that wrong, it'll go faster than Mallard!

Hmm. Can I be the first pedant to point out that Hornby's website has incorrect technical data for "Hogwarts Castle". While I have no doubt that the model is, indeed, DCC ready, and the Operator/Livery appears to be correctly stated as "Hogwarts Express, Red", if it is, in reality, a Hall class, it cannot possibly have entered service in 1827-1835! Moreover, the designer is attributed as Ottaline Gambol, Minister for Magic. However, the Pottermore website (which I presume to be canonical in such matters) states that, while Gambol had the idea of using a train, she did not design it - rather, it was stolen from, according to Pottermore, Crewe. 

So basically, what we need for a canonically-correct Hogwarts Express is an LNWR 0-6-0..... I'm game, how about it Hornby? A DX or Cauliflower might be nice... :locomotive:

Returning to 2019 Hornby, it's certainly a more ambitious programme than I'd expected given their recent financial issues- looks like they've chosen to come out fighting rather than battening down the hatches and cutting back on new releases.

Overall, there's only the Princess (which as many of us had suggested in the Hornby predictions thread was always a bit of a no-brainer to complete an overhaul of their Stanier Pacifics, especially given it's place in Hornby's history) and the LMS brake van which are 'must-haves' for me- although there's also a Ruston and a Peckett that I really didn't know I needed, but now will definitely be buying at least one of each....

Edited by Invicta

• RMweb Premium

Well said Mick, if you discount all of those types only really suited to the post grouping era, Railroad tat, and don't model the former Great Eastern territories, you aren't left with much,

They may not appeal to everyone, and you may have a point when it comes to imaginary 0-4-0s in even more imaginary liveries, but overall I would not agree with "tat" as a description of the Railroad range, if that's what was intended.

I'm somewhat surprised that Hornby have released two early crest M/N's in BR Brunswick green from the same modelling era for release in their 2019 programme.

It is probably one production batch split in two, just giving the second half a different number and nameplate.

I think cold hard cash demonstrates how good 2019 from Hornby is, adding up everything I shall be buying (AT RRP - naturally Ill be after discount on RRP):

£2526! (HSTs, Mk2, Mk3, Belmond, Hitachi etc)

Compare that to 2018, last year I initially spent:

£887

But I had to return the GWR 800004 and Colas 67027 due to livery errors, plus I cancelled GWR 153. Though in July I was lucky to pre-order the GWR 800010 - total only:

£653

So clearly, Hornby have worked hard to earn my cash this year, a 75% increase in spending! If we can assume such increases across modern modellers, then Hornby shall be doing very well this year. Of course, still a pitfall of livery errors to over come. The LNER 800 currently even has two glaring tooling errors - yet I am sure this shall be addressed! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think cold hard cash demonstrates how good 2019 from Hornby is, adding up everything I shall be buying (AT RRP - naturally Ill be after discount on RRP):

£2526! (HSTs, Mk2, Mk3, Belmond, Hitachi etc)

Compare that to 2018, last year I initially spent:

£887

But I had to return the GWR 800004 and Colas 67027 due to livery errors, plus I cancelled GWR 153. Though in July I was lucky to pre-order the GWR 800010 - total only:

£653

So clearly, Hornby have worked hard to earn my cash this year, a 75% increase in spending! If we can assume such increases across modern modellers, then Hornby shall be doing very well this year. Of course, still a pitfall of livery errors to over come. The LNER 800 currently even has two glaring tooling errors - yet I am sure this shall be addressed! 

Of course it's hard to know how representative those of us posting here are of Hornby's market in general - have a look at the Hornby forums and you will generally find a rather different sort of customer.

What I find very encouraging is comments from model shops about how much more they are planning to spend on this year's range. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think cold hard cash demonstrates how good 2019 from Hornby is

Likewise for me.

2017 announcements: The 800 004 IEP and Class 87 Robert Burns.

2018 announcements: a solitary pre-order of a GWR 153 which hopefully will arrive this week. I also made an impulse purchase of the Paddington IEP when it was released mid year.

2019 announcements: ScotRail HST, ScotRail Mk2f's, Mk3 sliding door GWR & ScotRail, Class 87 Caledonian Sleeper and Class 60 construction.

Possibly Northern Belle coach & train packs and the Class 92 as well.

They may not appeal to everyone, and you may have a point when it comes to imaginary 0-4-0s in even more imaginary liveries, but overall I would not agree with "tat" as a description of the Railroad range, if that's what was intended.

Though I believe all three Railroad 0-4-0s are based on genuine prototypes, and the 101 and Pug can be (and have) worked up into decent models of their respective prototypes.

• RMweb Premium

Though I believe all three Railroad 0-4-0s are based on genuine prototypes, and the 101 and Pug can be (and have) worked up into decent models of their respective prototypes.

Actually yes, I was being unfair there.

Though "101" is - I think - based on a one-off - amusing given how many different versions Hornby have made. The prototype was a prototype and they didn't 

build any more.

And I certainly wouldn't call them tat myself. The modern ones run nicely at a decent speed, and have no trouble despite being 040 with even my dodgy trackwork. I have quite a collection because they are a very good price for painting/modifying.

Actually yes, I was being unfair there.

Though "101" is - I think - based on a one-off - amusing given how many different versions Hornby have made. The prototype was a prototype and they didn't 

build any more.

And I certainly wouldn't call them tat myself. The modern ones run nicely at a decent speed, and have no trouble despite being 040 with even my dodgy trackwork. I have quite a collection because they are a very good price for painting/modifying.

And also - particularly the modern versions - a useful cheap chassis for the 7mm NG fraternity.

• RMweb Gold

Might it be argued that the LNER had a much greater diversity of locomotive classes than the other 3?

Alan

No need to 'argue' the point as it is fact, pure and simple.  Using Casserley's figures the situation at Nationalisation was as follows :-

GWR.  3.857 steam locos,   in   60 main classes

SR       1,845 steam locos,   in   90 main classes

LMS.    7,850 steam locos,  in 100 main classes

LNER.  6,550 steam locos.  in 150 main classes