AY Mod

Bachmann Europe to bring Thomas to the UK & Ireland

18 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

A similar exercise was carried out on the LMS where the 40 Claughton class locos were 'rebuilt' into Patriot class locos with virtually nothing of the original engine being reused. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LMS_Patriot_Class

This was simply following in the footsteps of the Midland's 483 Class 4-4-0s, purportedly rebuilds of 19th-century engines; I'm amused how often one sees their design attributed to S.W. Johnson!

Jack the numberplate up and shove a new loco in

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

22 hours ago, laurenceb said:

Jack the numberplate up and shove a new loco in

Only works for locomotives with numberplates - the Railway Series engines have tank or tender-side transfer numbers a la late Midland/early LMS.

4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Only works for locomotives with numberplates - the Railway Series engines have tank or tender-side transfer numbers a la late Midland/early LMS.

The proper ones have numberplates.

Jason

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

What I should have put was jack up the works plate 

• Agree 1

I think you can over analyse things. The sad case of Henry being one of them!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Only just noticed this thread - good news for me as I am trying to collect them all for the kids. Managed to get the end of line Thomas, Percy, Edward, Annie & Clarabel and some other coaches but scoffing at the prices some want for the others.

Anyone thought about making them RWS-esque? I have.

Great news to hear from Bachmann. I have most of the Hornby models of the main character trains from 1980's and they will do me just fine. But I hope that Bachmann will make Thomas, Edward, Henry, Gordon, James and Percy as train sets aimed at the younger generations to get them into the hobby as I strongly believe that most of us started off into the model railway hobby that we love and enjoy from a Thomas train set. I got mine in 1985 when Hornby first brought theirs out and its great to see that Bachmann will be filling the void in 2020.

I hope that Bachmann will make new models into our OO scale and not just repackage the HO scale models that are already out ;).

48 minutes ago, BritishRail60062 said:

I hope that Bachmann will make new models into our OO scale and not just repackage the HO scale models that are already out https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/emoticons/default_wink3.gif.

The point has been made repeatedly (by me, I apologise) that the Bachmann models, in so far as they are to scale when there is no real prototype, are closer to 4 mm/ft than 3.5 mm/ft, with much of the rolling stock being old Mainline OO models repurposed. The Bachmann Thomas and Percy were available in the UK many years ago in faceless versions as part of the "Junior" range.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, BritishRail60062 said:

I hope that Bachmann will make new models into our OO scale and not just repackage the HO scale models that are already out https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/emoticons/default_wink3.gif.

Given that Bachmann already holds the HO rights I doubt they would do anything other than new packaging to say "OO" on, anything else is duplicating costs to see little return - plus as Compound2632 says its already near enough OO gauge and chances are the market for these models won't really care

I think it bears clarifying that in terminology HO and OO are the same gauge but different scales.....

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Jeff Smith said:

I think it bears clarifying that in terminology HO and OO are the same gauge but different scales.....

Though in this case the scale of the Bachmann Thomas range has never really been H0.

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Agree 1

The Bachmann range works fine with OO stock. 

Seen here with Hornby coaches and Bachmann goods stock. 

4A38CB1C-4D8A-432E-BC23-CB6BDBCEDD45.jpeg.2aed0accd97584d0aec0024d5a31e0b1.jpeg

15C48460-A168-461F-8544-B58E53D887F6.jpeg.142c2a1635fc26835292e02a94abf9eb.jpeg

3F49068F-E821-435F-A1AA-3ABD265B1B0D.jpeg.fc75272dbea16c939b3f91dd77c4d633.jpeg

• Like 3

Well that sums that up nicely! 

I shall be getting some for my collection that I can hopefully pass onto my children when I extend my family. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, BritishRail60062 said:

Well that sums that up nicely! 

I shall be getting some for my collection that I can hopefully pass onto my children when I extend my family. 

Glad to see you getting your priorities right there!

• Like 1