Hornby W1 Hush Hush

truffy

A mechanism that basically didn't work, and Sam gave it 4 stars.

That displays Sam's absolutely relentless bias in favour of Hornby and against Bachmann at its most ridiculously obvious. If that was a Bachmann it would have been a 1, or a two, and laced with endless bitter, puerile  jibes about "Bachmann tax".

Whilst I like the idea of Sam's channel, and the service he could do for promoting the hobby, the subtle but extremely relentless bias, is quite ridiculous.

The model he reviewed was criminally poor and should have been portrayed as such in every way, and in no way what ever did it deserve to score better than any model that performed properly. Particularly performed well, on a carpet.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Calidore said:

Some in this thread may be interested in the below investigation in The Times…

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/exposed-the-hermes-delivery-staff-throwing-your-parcels-against-the-wall-rckzwbxc7

though no doubt Ill be on the receiving end of a mangled box from Hornby when they send my order now Im saying this, but IME its not a Hermes thing necessarily, its down to the individuals they employ, some are good, and Im fortunate my local Hermes deliverer of boxes isnt remotely the kind who would throw stuff against a wall, and some are obviously not so good, no denying that, and it could be that Hermes contracts attracts more of the not so good than the good.

but over the years Id say (touch wood) Ive had very few problems with Hermes, now FedEx on the other hand, I had a package last year that had to be resent 3 times by the supplier because FedEx kept "breaking" it in transit, and not only that I had to report the breakages back to the supplier, because FedEx were just ignoring doing anything about it, now once might have been misfortune, twice carelessness, but 3 times ???

and the 3rd time whilst it actually arrived intact,woohoo, but it had actually been repacked into a different box by FedEx, ie theyd opened my parcel, and helpfully packed it badly into a new box, because it still had the original address label on it hidden under their branded tape that was to their depot. and Ive heard near identical tales to mine from other people with FedEx, to the point I wont order anything from a supplier who deals with them anymore.

26 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

You don't rate him then?

Well, to be quite fair, I think he has genuine aptitude for his design for 3D printing. He turns out a technically good video, and is relaxed to camera.

Only when he comes across as treating companies significantly iniquitously, and repeatedly so, do I end up getting seriously irritated.

• Agree 1

Another loco thread ruined by the never-ending circular arguments on the bloody opinions of Sam's Trains. Can we please just give it a break?

I feel for those that have something arrive after so long, after spending so much, and it's broken - especially if it's the Christmas gift to yourself. Or those opening something on Christmas (possibly infront of the person who bought it for you) and bits falling off it. There will be a point where the cost (pain) to the manufacturer, distributors, couriers etc is high enough that they change their standards. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case yet.

Have always had a bit of a thing for the W1, but due to buying two houses in the last two years, new dog on the way, etc, there's no way I'll be ordering one this time around. I have been enjoying living vicariously through the pictures and videos of others. 

With the wheelbase relatively fixed and rigid (driving wheels), could the trailing two axles be more true to type? Trim down the first to allow significantly more sideplay (and you don't need a self-centering as the wheelbase stops the wobble/waddle) to act more like a cartizzi axle. The last one is more challenging and could be left flangeless? I don't see how to engineer a bissel that has enough range of motion in that tight space - so maybe an SEF type bogie hidden underneath is an option? 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

Pleased to report my model made it to Western Australia safely with no damage or loose parts at all. Phew :good:

I can only echo many previous comments regarding the packaging, extremely flimsy outer box which had suffered badly during transit.

It’s a lovely model and I’m glad to have received a fault free (so far) example. It’s such a shame that many others weren’t able to take ownership of a model they’d been so looking forward too.

There’s always room for improvement, surely Hornby must realise this and act on it? This could have/should have been one of their most memorable releases. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Calidore said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/exposed-the-hermes-delivery-staff-throwing-your-parcels-against-the-wall-rckzwbxc7

Minimum wage, casual labour in the run up to christmas throwing stuff around has been a problem for decades.

if you choose the cheapest route you get the cheapest results.

you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

The problem isnt Hermes, the problem is the management decisions to select a courier, and a packing method that doesn't reflect the requirements of a delicate product being shipped… if this was glass.. the results would have been the same.

Its also an example of why model railways wont be made in the UK anytime soon.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Nova Scotian said:

Another loco thread ruined by the never-ending circular arguments on the bloody opinions of Sam's Trains. Can we please just give it a break?

I feel for those that have something arrive after so long, after spending so much, and it's broken - especially if it's the Christmas gift to yourself. Or those opening something on Christmas (possibly infront of the person who bought it for you) and bits falling off it. There will be a point where the cost (pain) to the manufacturer, distributors, couriers etc is high enough that they change their standards. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case yet.

Have always had a bit of a thing for the W1, but due to buying two houses in the last two years, new dog on the way, etc, there's no way I'll be ordering one this time around. I have been enjoying living vicariously through the pictures and videos of others. 

With the wheelbase relatively fixed and rigid (driving wheels), could the trailing two axles be more true to type? Trim down the first to allow significantly more sideplay (and you don't need a self-centering as the wheelbase stops the wobble/waddle) to act more like a cartizzi axle. The last one is more challenging and could be left flangeless? I don't see how to engineer a bissel that has enough range of motion in that tight space - so maybe an SEF type bogie hidden underneath is an option? 

I appreciate your frustration with the fixation on Sam. However,human nature being what it is,he’s become a catalyst for the outpouring of anger,indignation and mistrust of Hornby for many who probably feel he’s speaking for them. You’re right though.the point has been made several times over and by now is overcooked.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

9 hours ago, stonojnr said:

though no doubt Ill be on the receiving end of a mangled box from Hornby when they send my order now Im saying this, but IME its not a Hermes thing necessarily, its down to the individuals they employ, some are good, and Im fortunate my local Hermes deliverer of boxes isnt remotely the kind who would throw stuff against a wall, and some are obviously not so good, no denying that, and it could be that Hermes contracts attracts more of the not so good than the good.

but over the years Id say (touch wood) Ive had very few problems with Hermes, now FedEx on the other hand, I had a package last year that had to be resent 3 times by the supplier because FedEx kept "breaking" it in transit, and not only that I had to report the breakages back to the supplier, because FedEx were just ignoring doing anything about it, now once might have been misfortune, twice carelessness, but 3 times ???

and the 3rd time whilst it actually arrived intact,woohoo, but it had actually been repacked into a different box by FedEx, ie theyd opened my parcel, and helpfully packed it badly into a new box, because it still had the original address label on it hidden under their branded tape that was to their depot. and Ive heard near identical tales to mine from other people with FedEx, to the point I wont order anything from a supplier who deals with them anymore.

Interesting as I am awaiting three packages currently from Fedex, should have arrived Wednesday, didn't, rescheduled to Thursday and didn't arrive now I don't know where it is as one part is showing no delivery date and the other two parts are showing as sometime today.   And I am wasting now a days leave when I could go out for parcels that may or may not arrive.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Interesting as I am awaiting three packages currently from Fedex, should have arrived Wednesday, didn't, rescheduled to Thursday and didn't arrive now I don't know where it is as one part is showing no delivery date and the other two parts are showing as sometime today.   And I am wasting now a days leave when I could go out for parcels that may or may not arrive.

Tell me about it. Still waiting to hear back from Hornby re return of 'Noisy Noisy'. Tried telephone instead of email this morning - got through after 20 minutes, then transferred to technical but line went dead.

Sorry if this seems to be a way of venting my frustration. But can't even return the flamin' thing!!

Edit:

At last, discussion with very understanding lady at Hornby Customer Care. Item will be refunded and a courier sent to pick it up. :) PS I have made a better job of the packaging!

Edited by zr2498
Update added
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Last point on reviews from me, I've never pre-ordered as I like to see if new models have issues, e.g. like This W1, Dapol & Hornby large prairie threads.  I try to form a balanced opinion from those on here, modellers reviews on YT, and 'pros' reviews like Sam and Jenny Kirk.  Love them or hate them they are all useful.  I may be tempted to pre order an Accura Class 37, to replace my aged Baccy that waddles since I dropped it, as I think they may all sell out.

Edited by Guest
to make it clearer

On 14/12/2021 at 21:48, 828CC said:

What do people think about retailers cashing in on the scarcity of these now?

When, a few months ago, I made a similar point about GT3s appearing on ebay at inflated prices I got in response the (expected) patronising lecture  in the economics of supply and demand from the regular blowhard on here, so stand by for incoming 828CC!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, D9001 said:

When, a few months ago, I made a similar point about GT3s appearing on ebay at inflated prices I got in response the (expected) patronising lecture  in the economics of supply and demand from the regular blowhard on here, so stand by for incoming 828CC!

No lecture, one word - 'business'.

CJI.

• Agree 2

If you deal with a business that treats you like dirt and clearly feels no sense of moral obligation to you, as a customer who has kept their part of the ‘bargain’, and their excuse is always in effect “it’s nothing personal, it’s just business” - then you are unlikely ever to want to trade with them again. 

Recent experience with Virgin Media, who I had been a customer of for 20 years, puts me firmly in that bracket, for example. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Calidore said:

Nothing particularly new. My personal favourite was a box containing two new sound fitted class 24s, which was supposed to be signed for. When I chased it up, I was told it was 'signed for and left in a safe place'. I asked where the safe place was and how was it signed for if it was left in a safe place. I was then told it was placed by my back gate. I don't have a back gate, there is an active police station in the way, but as a terrace we do share a side gate with several neighbours; so off outside I went. Nothing on the street side, and that gate is 12ft high, so I opened up...lo and behold, 30ft or so up the entry was a mangled box, so I went for the CCTV and obtained two views of the herpes driver launching the box over. When confronted with the footage, Hermes went deathly silent, and £500 worth of disassembled class 24 had to be returned. Sadly thats not my worst dealings with them...this year. I wouldn't trust them to deliver sewage.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

57 minutes ago, Willie Whizz said:

If you deal with a business that treats you like dirt and clearly feels no sense of moral obligation to you ....

No - sorry - I'm not following this.

How is a company, selling their stock at a price that reflects it's scarcity, treating you like dirt and with no sense of moral obligation to you?

What is the 'bargain' that you feel you have kept to, in the case of a company selling their stock at a price that reflects it's scarcity, and with whom you will never deal on principle?

If you feel that a company treats you like dirt and clearly feels no sense of moral obligation to you, you are unlikely ever to want to trade with them in the first place - so no loss of trade to the company.

You could have pre-ordered, which would have ensured that you would get your model at the advertised price; (assuming that they actually receive the stock that they have ordered).

Basically, a certain section of the market still wants to defer commiting to purchase models until they have assessed feedback, and images of the finished product. Understandable, but not possible nowadays due to limited (under?) production.

Lets face it, if you don't like your pre-orded model, you can sell it on Ebay at an inflated price .......... ; (oh no, sorry, that would be treating buyers like dirt and with no sense of moral obligation, wouldn't it)? :nono:

CJI.

Edited by cctransuk

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Willie Whizz said:

Recent experience with Virgin Media, who I had been a customer of for 20 years, puts me firmly in that bracket, for example. 

I had the same problem with Cumbrian Cottages, formerly registered in the UK

Had been going with them twice a year since 2019 for one week stays. Always found them extremely helpful and willing to go the extra mile.

The Company has changed hands several times recently, now registered in the Cayman Islands with two California based directors:(

All phone numbers are now connected to the same call centre, having until this year gone through to individual offices. They even had an emergency number. Not any more.

When my wife broke her arm earlier this year I had no end of trouble trying to contact someone by phone, in a queue of between 1 and 3 hours before it's an answered and then they were not helpful at all.

e-mail was worse took 3 weeks and that was just for an acknowledgement, not an answer.

How to ruin a company in the pursuit of efficiency (e.g. cost cutting)

I will never go with them again.

• Friendly/supportive 2

Trouble is, an awful lot of people did: 'the right thing' and pre-ordered.

As we now know, for many that back-fired.  If you were lucky enough not to have it cancelled, you were now in the lottery of whether you received a whole model or one in pieces...

I totally get the: 'supply and demand' of the subsequent ebay auctions, my choice how much I value ownership of one of these.

My original post was prompted by a: 'reserve not met' announcement on one retailer's auction, already in excess of RRP, so it is him who's setting that value, and after withdrawing stock from another online platform..

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Simple don’t buy if you don’t like their attitude. Just wait for Bachmann to make one too . . . . 

A good W1 is a superb model, exercise your retail right to exchange. It’s worrying when there might not be a replacement but no one seems to have hit that issue yet. The post above with a second damaged model is very unfortunate, I had the same with a Rails Terrier but that was sorted so hopefully retailer / Hornby will do equally as well. 

Certainly Hornby’s recent antics with tiers and gazumping models has lost any brand loyalty I had for them, so I went with Rapido’s Lion but I still have other orders with them as I very much doubt others will duplicate those anytime soon. 

• Like 4