Hornby W1 Hush Hush

truffy

I follow Sam's trains and I enjoy his reviews, and the "silly" stuff is good too, very entertaining, and something the kids can look forward to whilst getting their dose of model railways. I sense some kind of resentment, dislike, or distrust among certain members of this forum towards him which I find more silly than any of his light-hearted antics. I found the review he gave of the hush hush to be fair and justified. I'm sure Sam is more than capable of being careful when assembling/disassembling a loco, and that his disassembly had nothing to do with the issues the loco had.

I remember when you could buy a Hornby loco and it would be pretty much guaranteed to run straight out of the box, and continue to run with basic servicing for many decades. Obviously things have changed. I was most disgusted by Hornbys pathetic packaging than anything else. What a disappointment. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium

Issue with the tender screw hole now sorted. No.10000 is now running happily around my 4th radius curved with the cylinder drain cocks glued in place. Overhang of the cab on 4th radius is nothing major either so I can live with it without major surgery to the wheels. 

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

99% of the issues seem to be 10000, not British Enterprise. my local shop had all of his 10000 arrive busted but his British Enterprise are ok, seems to be theme on here as well. I wonder if 10000 was put down the production line first, issues found in QC and then corrected for British Enterprise?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

99% of the issues seem to be 10000, not British Enterprise. my local shop had all of his 10000 arrive busted but his British Enterprise are ok, seems to be theme on here as well. I wonder if 10000 was put down the production line first, issues found in QC and then corrected for British Enterprise?

That's an interesting hypothesis.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, PhilH said:

Nice to see a review / reviewer not blowing smoke up the manufacturer’s nether regions for fear of not getting the next freebie. Fair and balanced in my opinion.

Agreed. I'm often very critical watching / reading such reviews where they are given the model. I wish there were a few more somewhat similar to Sam with high quality recording. EuviRail and Dean Park Model Railway do a great job of the modern image stuff.

• Agree 4

6 hours ago, Tennessee Jones said:

I follow Sam's trains and I enjoy his reviews, and the "silly" stuff is good too, very entertaining, and something the kids can look forward to whilst getting their dose of model railways. I sense some kind of resentment, dislike, or distrust among certain members of this forum towards him which I find more silly than any of his light-hearted antics. I found the review he gave of the hush hush to be fair and justified. I'm sure Sam is more than capable of being careful when assembling/disassembling a loco, and that his disassembly had nothing to do with the issues the loco had.

I remember when you could buy a Hornby loco and it would be pretty much guaranteed to run straight out of the box, and continue to run with basic servicing for many decades. Obviously things have changed. I was most disgusted by Hornbys pathetic packaging than anything else. What a disappointment. 

I have no axe to grind with Sams trains and they are mildy amusing, this is the first one  I have  watched in full. The only reason I watched his  W1 review in full, is that I already own the same loco.  I found the review as already said patchy at best. Someone who as said on numerous occasions on here , runs Scale models on carpets and over power cables laying  under the same track cannot be any kind of expert , I wouldnt take anything he says seriously.

I will be amazed if he knows how to actually take a model apart correctly, without potentially causing damage or misaligning axle  bearings etc etc. Unless he videos every second of his handling of any model who knows what he actually does ??.

Hornby et al are no longer single lumps of solid plastic with a XO4 motor pushing it around which do last for decades they were childrens toys. They are now delicate scale models aimed at the adult market and need to treated as such.

Horny have made a huge dogs dinner of the whole issue re the W1 , screwing dealers with limited release, holding the models back for maximum profit, employing outside contactors to balls up the packaging ,and then give them to Hermes to post to buyers. You could'nt make it up.

A perfect storm for Hornby , they are not helping themselves by now ignoring all communication (it would appear), as to what they are going to do about all the damaged Locos.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, micklner said:

A perfect storm for Hornby , they are not helping themselves by now ignoring all communication (it would appear), as to what they are going to do about all the damaged Locos.

Give them a chance.

I would think that at the moment they are still sitting on the toilet.:D

I can picture the board in a huddle asking each other how the hell can we get out of this mess.

The usual way is to find  scapegoat, but in this case it seems to be several functions that must share the responsibility.

I await an announcement with interest.

Bernard 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, micklner said:

I have no axe to grind with Sams trains and they are mildy amusing, this is the first one  I have  watched in full. The only reason I watched his  W1 review in full, is that I already own the same loco.  I found the review as already said patchy at best. Someone who as said on numerous occasions on here , runs Scale models on carpets and over power cables laying  under the same track cannot be any kind of expert , I wouldnt take anything he says seriously.

I will be amazed if he knows how to actually take a model apart correctly, without potentially causing damage or misaligning axle  bearings etc etc. Unless he videos every second of his handling of any model who knows what he actually does ??.

Hornby et al are no longer single lumps of solid plastic with a XO4 motor pushing it around which do last for decades they were childrens toys. They are now delicate scale models aimed at the adult market and need to treated as such.

As has been said, he used to maintain model trains, he knows more than he lets on and has even built his own locos from scratch using 3d printing for the body and chassis and then adding the motor and wheels etc.

Just remember he is targetting an audience and by playing with trains on the carpet, having fun, not talking down to people or being overly pedantic he is getting people to view his content which earns him money.

• Like 8
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

3rd time lucky:). Well packaged from Kernow. Still waiting to get return number from Hornby so that one can be returned. Feels like :banghead:.

Frustrating I know but this is the last day for posting out before Chrimbo - I'm sure all of the suppliers, packing companies and delivery services are working 110% especially with people now even less able/willing to go out to the shops. 

Just one blatant retailer plug, if I may?  As with insurance companies and 'breakdown' cover providers, we never know a firm's mettle until things go wrong...

Like many I received a broken W1 during the feeding frenzy, so elected to return it for refund whilst hunting for a replacement.

So a big: 'Thank you' to Katie at KJB Models for handling my refund request so promptly, and to quote Arnie (when the P2's appear):  'I'll be back!'

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Free At Last said:

Make yourself a large pot of tea and sit back for nearly an hour of Sam and the Hush Hush.

Wow . He certainly rubs it in with the SK excerpt right at the end . "Its for Keeps" no its going back .

Overall spot on !  I thought he said it from the point of view of the enthusiast . Pre ordered on the day announced only to have that cancelled 15 months later , then looking around to find alternative which was to pay an extra £40 from Hornby direct .  Then the packaging which is appalling. Little box inside bigger box with no padding . I'm assuming Hornbys distributor to blame here , but really even to the uninitiated thats not smart , of course its going to ricochet around inside the big box . Is this the specification or has the distributor not trained staff properly ? And what a brilliant point, well made  , this is why you need retailers Hornby!   I bet Hattons wouldnt have sent it like that !

And then of course it doesnt run properly . How many of us have been there and experienced that frustration . I know I have  and thinking back on it mainly Hornby . I note that Barrie Davis , although running, also thought his was pretty tight , but running in cured it .   But you can sense the palpable disappointment here . Nice loco that just doesnt run well and you lose faith in it , the whole experience of ownership is devalued .  I dont think companies that have poor QC and expect a certain reject rate quite get this disappointment , the hassle it involves and the harm to their reputation . Mind you we are to blame as if its a model we want in the future  they know we will be back regardless.

Hornby really do need to up its game here .  From ordering , to packaging to QC , they are just not getting it . 

Edited by Legend
spelling
  • Like 7
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, micklner said:

Horny have made a huge dogs dinner of the whole issue re the W1 , screwing dealers with limited release, holding the models back for maximum profit, employing outside contactors to balls up the packaging ,and then give them to Hermes to post to buyers. You could'nt make it up.

Hi Mick

Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy  New Year to you.

I totally agree with your comments, you would have thought Hornby would have learned the lesson after the A2/2 and A2/3 fiasco.

But obviously they have not.

Regards 

David

• Thanks 1

On 13/12/2021 at 13:20, micklner said:

My W1 was collected from the Royal Mail today , no damge on reciept. A good runner , the only fault I have found is the screw fitted to the drawbar at the Loco end is too short. When tightened it locks the drawbar , looosen to allow the drawbar to move and the screw falls out. A longer screw will sourced tomorrow.

Running in , and photos of the Resin Truck supplied by Grame King,fitted to my Hornby W1 conversions mentioned in a earlier post.

TheTruck is filled with Liquid Lead and a scrap Brass etch stretcher connected to the tapped hole for the Hornby Cartazzi truck on the A4 and another for a  Hornby Drawbar connecting it to the Tender.

Two problems with the Hornby W1 . No Cartazzi tapped hole is present in the chassis . No provision to take the wires to the Tender. the W1 mouldings would also need cutting . On a £200 Loco, mine will stay as supplied. Its all Grey, it is not a noticable as on a LNER A4 Type would be with Red wheels.

F5FFD368-D58D-4D3A-9B87-7034EEF81FB7_1_201_a.jpeg.b883bf85ebe8fc509131c75d239e4a91.jpeg

B935F0BD-6965-4165-9738-CB11AB2350CF_1_201_a.jpeg.aa2f4242625208cbc361bc645ed8e295.jpeg

0DCD612C-7ED2-4043-808E-9051644881CC_1_201_a.jpeg.948434f50c37162a1630ea281b4ad29f.jpeg

608032BB-605C-4737-8930-0F519B8BD7A9_1_201_a.jpeg.c946a723fd02355d6e922066ecc88dba.jpeg

DF8B8BEC-1EEA-4E13-9C21-09D64FDD281D_1_201_a.jpeg.662dfa70fb4c63cd61b1a45520ed8c1e.jpeg

72024114-94C7-457A-AFA6-1CA586CD3E5F_1_201_a.jpeg.7b7bdc6357e0f27faf783d211df43779.jpeg

E275FCCA-DF3D-497A-A9D5-76C44BC1250A_1_201_a.jpeg.80dde4aa8ccff27e225df4ad0a2d3805.jpeg

608032BB-605C-4737-8930-0F519B8BD7A9_1_201_a.jpeg.c946a723fd02355d6e922066ecc88dba.jpeg

F4025A67-CCC3-4C03-8ED0-6361CAE43AE0_1_201_a.jpeg.27168adb50c1386587b5f148dbaba511.jpeg

Can someone tell me how/where you buy Graeme King parts?? I am very new to this forum and I hear his name said a lot. I like these parts though and would want it for my W1

• RMweb Gold

I have just had an email communication from Hornby reference a replacement step for my W1 as mentioned in one of my earlier posts - My enquiry has now moved into their spares department - and yes I will have to wait for another response - " which may take time due to the current circumstances and postal delays " . At least they provided me with a contact name , much better than just an email address that will not allow reply's .

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, MarcLocos123 said:

Can someone tell me how/where you buy Graeme King parts?? I am very new to this forum and I hear his name said a lot. I like these parts though and would want it for my W1

Edit

Sorry . He is gr.kIng on here. Send a PM.

Edited by micklner
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, jonnyuk said:

Aside of a nameplate, whats the difference ?

if its just one tampo print nameplate, then i’d be fairly certain they were made at the same time, and probably boxed up one after the other and shipped together.

fwiw my Hornby Collectors club loco arrived today… boxed to survive a war..

Three layers, plus bubble wrap and paper wrapping and sealed inside its own inner cardboard box…4D6F1C81-20CA-4F20-878A-72E6CE1A8436.jpeg.aab66894c453ee9470abbea1137ae4dc.jpeg

Is that priorities on whats important to wrap up safely, and whats not ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Legend said:

. Nice loco that just doesnt run well and you lose faith in it , the whole experience of ownership is devalued .

Mine is fine, it's nice & smooth after initial running in and it pulls a decent load.

My biggest gripe is the tail end wheel arrangement which is appalling.

The supplied wheels wont even turn in their mounts.

• Agree 1

I would like to add my voice to the ‘it’s fine’ brigade on here. Not happy with the delivery but the model itself is flawless for me and I’d have no qualms recommending it to anyone 

CA02D5A9-9B79-446A-8FB2-B5A48EC3FFC2.gif

Edited by Edge
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Edge said:

I would like to add my voice to the ‘it’s fine’ brigade on here. Not happy with the delivery but the model itself is flawless for me and I’d have no qualms recommending it to anyone 

CA02D5A9-9B79-446A-8FB2-B5A48EC3FFC2.gif

Hey 'Edge', that's very close to the 'edge' of the table!

• Funny 1

Seems to me that there are severe QC issues with Hornby, here and on other model threads, at the end of the day one should not be pulling a model apart to find out why it won't run properly.  Who would check their wheel bearings for grease or check if brakes were binding if their new cars wheels were not freewheeling.

I only have one loco that didn't run properly (and still doesn't) and that's my King Rich III, it jerks to a stop with a clicking noise, motor out spins fine down to a stop when lifted off gear train, chassis freewheeling, back together again same, above stopping and starting fine. Can not find what is wrong,  and have done kit building in past.  Not sent back as was a 2020 Xmas present and didn't have heart to ask giver for receipt to send back, so took apart.

For what its worth my nearest proper model railway shop 50ml round trip, won't sell Dapol due to QC issues they had with their last batch of OO class 73's - wheel sets falling out and or driveshafts not fitted - and loads of different issues with 122 Bubble car and are running down Hornby, to only sell Bachmann (less probs, and better wholesale service than Hby and Dpl), and a nearer general model shop, won't be stocking Hornby either now, they will just keep Bachmann once their few remaining Hornby items are gone!

Edited by Guest
to make it clearer

1 hour ago, confused said:

Seems to me that there are severe QC issues with Hornby, here and on other model threads, at the end of the day one should not be pulling a model apart to find out why it won't run properly.  Who would check their wheel bearings for grease or check if brakes were binding if their new cars wheels were not freewheeling.

I only have one loco that didn't run properly (and still doesn't) and that's my King Rich III, it jerks to a stop with a clicking noise, motor out spins fine down to a stop when lifted off gear train, chassis freewheeling, back together again same, above stopping and starting fine. Can not find what is wrong,  and have done kit building in past.  Not sent back as was a 2020 Xmas present and didn't have heart to ask giver for receipt to send back, so took apart.

For what its worth my nearest proper model railway shop 50ml round trip, won't sell Dapol due to QC issues they had with their last batch of OO class 73's - wheel sets falling out and or driveshafts not fitted - and loads of different issues with 122 Bubble car and are running down Hornby, to only sell Bachmann (less probs, and better wholesale service than Hby and Dpl), and a nearer general model shop, won't be stocking Hornby either now, they will just keep Bachmann once their few remaining Hornby items are gone!

Check the gears , one or more maybe split.

9 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Just remember he is targetting an audience and by playing with trains on the carpet, having fun, not talking down to people or being overly pedantic he is getting people to view his content which earns him money.

Absolutely, and I take my hat off to him! 

I have watched Sam from his early days when he didn't appear on camera and he was obviously in the process of honing his video editing and presentation skills.  No mean feat in itself.

I also watched with great interest when recently Sam decided to have a go at 3D modelling and printing and he was the inspiration behind me taking the plunge! As anyone who has tried designing in Sketchup (his go-to CAD software) will tell you, although it looks easy, it takes a great deal of time and research to design and make something useful. I have watched his 3D printing design tutorials with great interest, learned a lot and have a huge amount of respect for the way he is prepared to share his knowledge with his audience.

I like his modest approach to new things and his sense of fun, so I can see why he appeals to mostly a younger audience. Okay some of his stuff appears to be quite daft. But then this is a hobby that is supposed to be first and foremost fun. Also as others have pointed out, he gets very little for free, (unlike most so-called influencers), which allows him to have a mostly unbiased opinion on the stuff he reviews. He also has a process when he reviews models, so whether you agree with that process or not, at least everything he reviews is reviewed in the same manner.

IMHO - Railway modelling is a broad church and we should all respect our fellow modellers whatever fun/sense of achievement they happen to get from it. 

• Like 11
  • Agree 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1