Hornby 2021 - HST & Mk3 range

AY Mod

OK, so some digging, there is definitely some grey on at least the back of the power cars, you can see it very clearly against the black corridor ends, and that it matches with the grey roofs of the coaches, in this still for example:

Untitled.png.0c4fa8e4b3c9e5315409af1c04f3b737.png

The front of the roofs does look black to me though. I wonder if there is a grey band at the back of the power cars, either side, over the former guards window, with the rest of the roof being black (either with paint or dirt)? Anyone know?

• RMweb Premium

Hopefully this clears up the questions regarding the roof colours.

The PC roof should be Black...... But Gloss Black along the edge, and Matt Black at the top.

1133300148_IMG_21037(1280x853).jpg.af94367813cd884d4fab451118b9a5d4.jpg

The coaches should be Gloss Grey all around the edge.....But Matt Black in the top/centre1610493536_IMG_21044(1280x853).jpg.29cab23881a88f025331405596251a71.jpg

IMG_21049.JPG.59cd803bc6ecdd48b16168deee306016.JPG

( No idea why this pic is sideways !! )

174663863_IMG_21060(853x1280).jpg.f20240e9454da8a0c7de0b1cf09dc28b.jpg

IMG_20945.JPG.cd654ade74d9f1ff41068e03279e41f1.JPG

The shiny patches in the last pic are because it was raining before we boarded at Leeds !!

HTH

Cheers,

Phil.

Edited by Phil Mc
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, scouse889 said:

Thanks for all the info @Phil Mc, the pictures definitely help. Unfortunately, however, it means that both the model PCs and coaches are incorrect! :(

I know we shouldn't have to do it....but it isn't such a bad fix to get it how it should be.

My PC's are due for delivery this afternoon, so I'll see if there's anything else needs doing.....

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 1

I have just picked up a bargain on the CrossCountry MK3 Sliding Doors with Rainbow Railways at £22 each. Have the Sliding Doors not been popular? What are peoples thoughts?

Personally, for a new tool coach I am disappointed they do not offer DCC with central door locking lights - got to love those Bachmann Mk2Fs! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 159220 said:

I have just picked up a bargain on the CrossCountry MK3 Sliding Doors with Rainbow Railways at £22 each. Have the Sliding Doors not been popular? What are peoples thoughts?

Personally, for a new tool coach I am disappointed they do not offer DCC with central door locking lights - got to love those Bachmann Mk2Fs! 

The problem is that the power cars are long sold out so the coaches are on the shelves with nothing to haul them

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, 159220 said:

Hornby putting things like door lights on?

You'll be suggesting that they move on from 8 pin sockets next....

• Funny 2

39 minutes ago, 159220 said:

30 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

The problem is that the power cars are long sold out so the coaches are on the shelves with nothing to haul them

Plus, there was one set of power cars produced along with 18 coaches in the Cross Country livery. This amounted to two full sets, plus two extra TSDs and two extra TSs. Obviously I have no idea of volumes produced, but why there were so many versions of the coaches produced is beyond me - but the fact they are all now in the bargain bin suggests far too many coaches were produced. Beats me why another set of power cars has never appeared…

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

12 hours ago, scouse889 said:

Plus, there was one set of power cars produced along with 18 coaches in the Cross Country livery. This amounted to two full sets, plus two extra TSDs and two extra TSs. Obviously I have no idea of volumes produced, but why there were so many versions of the coaches produced is beyond me - but the fact they are all now in the bargain bin suggests far too many coaches were produced. Beats me why another set of power cars has never appeared…

Here's me thinking I wonder if they will do the XC ones next year with the slam door set, with an actual TCC vehicle to go in the set? Probably not as I can see IC blue/grey and IC swallow colours dominating the release next year. But still there's an idea as the slam door set was the old coupling type and also wrong in a few ways. I'm also wondering if they will do the EC Grey with purple stripe for the power cars and a re-release of the EC Grey/Silver coaches? Or if we will see a GNER set and a Virgin WC set next year.

But I have to agree with you why release two sets of coaches and one set of PC's. 

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, newbryford said:

Hornby putting things like door lights on?

You'll be suggesting that they move on from 8 pin sockets next....

You may have been tongue in cheek but have you seen the latest Hornby news?

Moving to models with 21 pin decoder sockets…….when everyone else is going to Next18* :lol:

Having said that the new water vapour smoke generator is looking promising.

*and Plux22

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

A few pics of mine....

1019428886_20220114_195635_resized(2).jpg.1a27fd0d84a028f02f73f658dbedb226.jpg

353212639_20220114_195858_resized(2).jpg.45a978a45dd6957455cb3e730c4615a2.jpg

1980353734_20220114_195740_resized(2).jpg.4b380797c0ba99e04f53756d9cc87e2b.jpg

312298168_20220114_195827_resized(2).jpg.6ed577c5dd328fd2092f452a3b4a9811.jpg

Aside from the few inaccuracies already mentioned with the full set....

( correct set number on one PC, matt black on roof of PC's, matt black on roof of coaches )

The full set actually looks pretty good running round !

The Blue/Yellow divide on the PC's isn't anywhere near the best printing I've ever seen, but it doesn't look too bad from normal viewing distances.

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 8

Received my pair of FGW power cars and some of the coaches last week, and had chance to compare them to the ca 2016 R3478 power cars and coaches over the weekend. The newer R3958 versions are definitely a different shade of blue as compared to the R3478 version - to my eyes the blue on the newer models is a deeper shade (less purple?) with a glossier finish. Whether these two are related I have no idea, but the power cars and coaches look much more like I remember the real thing, and how the prototypes appear in reference photographs. It is nice to have the buffet with roof ribs and the TSD represented in the set as well, so all in all a good job by Hornby and overall I am very happy with the models.

Having said about the blue being different, it isn't so different that it jars against the R3478 power cars and coaches (as can be seen in the photos posted above - but clearly 43087 is a tad darker and glossier than 43036), and so it should be perfectly possible to use the new coaches with the older power cars, which will enable me to get rid of the skinhead R4371A buffet for one of the newer R40035 ones. I think I will get another TSD to use in my original rake as well (or I might just replace the whole rake).

One minor annoyance is that the TS vehicles are fitted with the incorrect 2+1 first class seating modules (so you can't see any seat backs in the windows - which you should be able to), whilst the buffet is fitted with the interior for a TGS vehicle with 2+2 seating, so you can see the seat backs between the windows (and you shouldn't be able to)! This also means there are also seats inside the buffet area instead of a representation of the kitchen and serving area (although the tinted glazing and lack of large windows does of course go a long way to hiding this). The use of 2+1 seating moulding in the TS vehicles just seems to be what Hornby does these days (the last time I recall the 2+2 TS moulding being used was for the first batch of LNER coaches in 2019) but the TGS moulding in the buffet is a new one on me. I think both are illustrative of Hornby's well-documented lacklustre approach to QC - a case of just stick any old seats inside it, that will do. At least I can open the coaches easily enough and exchange the seating units. My TGS has not arrived yet - wonder if it will have a buffet interior??! :)

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, GBRf66701 said:

Just had a look at the new FGW mk3 coaches and it appears Hornby have used waterslide transfers for the dynamic lines and they've not been applied very well at all. They are wonky and have carrier film silvering.

IMG-20220301-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20220301-WA0002.jpg

Thats really poor. Seems typical of Hornby products recently

• Agree 4

51 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

i'm sure the first batch were water slides. I only know this because my garage roof leaked and soaked the coaches, the transfer all started coming away.

Ive long since sold my original dynamic lines but think you maybe correct on the lines, I wonder if the logo part was printed though as don’t recall it being so noticeable with the carrier film before?

1 hour ago, jonnyuk said:

i'm sure the first batch were water slides. I only know this because my garage roof leaked and soaked the coaches, the transfer all started coming away.

I've had a look at my original batch ones and they are definitely tampo printed. They have no carrier film around the edges of the lines.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've just seen in the latest issue of Hornby mag a sample of the new tooling FGW fag packet mk3 and it appears the lining is a waterslide transfer again. It's not sitting down properly over the raised detail and looks awful. Hornby please stop using waterslide decals. Even Lima managed tampo lining and looks far better.

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, GBRf66701 said:

I've just seen in the latest issue of Hornby mag a sample of the new tooling FGW fag packet mk3 and it appears the lining is a waterslide transfer again. It's not sitting down properly over the raised detail and looks awful. Hornby please stop using waterslide decals. Even Lima managed tampo lining and looks far better.

Aren't these tooling samples, and not the final product? Maybe decals are easier to use at this stage?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Johan DC said:

Aren't these tooling samples, and not the final product? Maybe decals are easier to use at this stage?

The reviews are normally done on production run models just air-freighted in ahead of the bulk of the delivery though aren't they? I expect if they have decals, the production ones will too

Edited by GordonC