Hornby 2021 - HST & Mk3 range

AY Mod

12 hours ago, jonnyuk said:

think i spoke to that bloke that did not want to be there. i asked about the pullman set, what was on display was the final product, looked bloody good as well!

twin speakers, fans are powered by motors, the detail on the underframe looks improved as does the shell, it just looked sharper and more refined, looking forward to the pullman now. 

Not sure if it was the same guy giving Simon some abuse but i was stood their while Simon was indeed getting a roasting, to be fair Simon was polite, listened and tried to reason but the other bloke was having non of it, thought he was very rude to be honest, no need for it.

I had a 5 minute chat with Simon and he came across well, i know allot is said of the bloke but i can only judge him on my own personal experience (all 5 minutes of it).

Working fans on the Blue Pullman HST?

I received the Hornby Mk3 lighting sets yesterday. These are a preemptive purchase for the day when Hornby does the new mk3 in HST Intercity Blue grey.

But to be honest you could use these lighting sets on any coach that you can get inside of.

Mk3_Lights.jpg

1 hour ago, JSpencer said:

I received the Hornby Mk3 lighting sets yesterday. These are a preemptive purchase for the day when Hornby does the new mk3 in HST Intercity Blue grey.

But to be honest you could use these lighting sets on any coach that you can get inside of.

Mk3_Lights.jpg

220mm - are they long enough for a Mk3? Is a Mk3 not closer to 300mm or are you leaving the toilets and doorways unlit?

10 hours ago, JSpencer said:

Mk3_Lights.jpg

I got 4 sets to add to my OR Scotrail coaches… then maybe my 5 OR B&G MK3’s. 

• Like 1

Overall, I'm impressed with the new MK3 First "fag packet" coaches. Combo of waterside and paint. Tiny lift of the decal around the door, but apart from that very crisp transfer. Clever compartment for the maglight battery on the underside. And very nifty buckeye mag couplings supplied - though I use Hunt. Limby R4326 for comparison. New ones are brighter!

DSCN0156.JPG

DSCN0157.JPG

DSCN0158.JPG

DSCN0159.JPG

DSCN0160.JPG

DSCN0161.JPG

DSCN0162.JPG

DSCN0163.JPG

DSCN0166.JPG

• Like 2

Just now, miles73128 said:

Overall, I'm impressed with the new MK3 First "fag packet" coaches. Combo of waterside and paint. Tiny lift of the decal around the door, but apart from that very crisp transfer. Clever compartment for the maglight battery on the underside. And very nifty buckeye mag couplings supplied - though I use Hunt. Limby R4326 for comparison. New ones are brighter!

DSCN0156.JPG

DSCN0157.JPG

DSCN0158.JPG

DSCN0159.JPG

DSCN0160.JPG

DSCN0161.JPG

DSCN0162.JPG

DSCN0163.JPG

DSCN0166.JPG

DSCN0165.JPG

DSCN0167.JPG

DSCN0168.JPG

DSCN0169.JPG

DSCN0170.JPG

DSCN0171.JPG

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

I’d be a bit worried by that transfer application, at the end of the coach it looks like there is quite a bit overhanging.

Time will tell how durable it’ll be.

Yep, there is (small overlap) on a couple, but not all. Ive got 6 ends, 3 coaches, 3 are perfect. Defo be prudent to handle carefully!

BTW, the wavey lines are the camera not the coach!

Edited by miles73128
update
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for sharing. Just how bad is the decal lift on the door. It looks big enough to be caught and rip, certainly looks very pronounced.

It also looks very apparent along the long top edge. 

Though it may just be the camera exacerbating it of course. 

Bryn 

Edited by brynna79
Added thanks
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, brynna79 said:

Thanks for sharing. Just how bad is the decal lift on the door. It looks big enough to be caught and rip, certainly looks very pronounced.

It also looks very apparent along the long top edge. 

Though it may just be the camera exacerbating it of course. 

Bryn 

Camera is brutal, it's flat so no risk of ripping at present. It's there, but not noticeable once on the track. Not an issue for me, though I know some others will be critical. One point that is improved is the definition of the band lines is finer and the graded shading of Great Western much better than the green block on the old models. Prob would be better painted, but at the price - it's £45 not £80 I think it's a fair compromise. 

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, miles73128 said:

DSCN0157.JPG

DSCN0162.JPG

Decal across the door and a great big bubble over the hollow under the window.

That looks awful.

How can anyone be pleased with that?

Edited by newbryford
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Green still looks wrong as it did in the pre prod images.  Fit of transfer looks very poor in some cases, no attempt made to make it properly sit over detail.  All in all one of the most disappointing new RTR models I’ve seen in a long time.  I really wanted a set but looking at that I am convinced i could do a better job myself with Railtec’s transfers.  Which is lucky as I should be doing exactly that on a HST powercar next week!

on the other hand first impression of the mk3 is very good, will be good to

see one up against the previous Hornby mk3 (particularly the roof and windows) as I am debating using resprays of the new mk3 to replace my Lima/Limby mk3 TGS  

• Agree 1

On 11/10/2022 at 15:21, adb968008 said:

Have we all forgotten, the reason why we have a new mk3, is because someone else is making one too... apparently, maybe whoever it was has forgotten they are making one too.

Maybe they went "back in their box" after the news of the Hornby one 😉

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Is there supposed to be a door handle there ?

It looks like a catering vehicle, some didn't have door handles at one end. (I think this is one of them)

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, The Black Prince said:

Quite shocking really that a company as large and developed as Hornby can’t Tampo print that livery yet Dapol can manage in N?

That bubble across the door is quite something, I wonder how long before these end up bargain binned?

And Hornby themselves could do it 15 years ago.   There may have been a price differential vs the rest of the range, but if any modern livery could carry that premium (in the same way the LNER teaks carry their price premium over other pre nationalisation coaches) it would be FGW based on the resale prices…

I hope some do end up bargain binned, though given Hornby’s usual tiny production runs that may mitigate it.   I am very interested to see how the roof looks next to a rake of older Hornby mk 3 as a potential for replacing Lima TGS and a cheaper example would be perfect for an experiment 

1 hour ago, The Black Prince said:

Quite shocking really that a company as large and developed as Hornby can’t Tampo print that livery yet Dapol can manage in N?

I'd use the word manage very loosely. The gradient is non existent. Not a good representation in my eyes.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/530055/dapol_2p_005_342_mk3_tso_second_open_42020_in_first_great_western_fag_packet_green_and_white/stockdetail

Jo