Kernow Models Beattie Well Tank

Andy Y

Finally got round to running the Beatties today. What can I say but WOW, they really do run as good as they look. Smooth and confident. Excellent slow speed control, and quiet. This was only a test up and down the table (1m track), I don't doubt that on the layout it will be possible to hear the wheels on the rails. Quite possibly the best running RTR steam loco I have ever come accross, including the fly-wheel driven 9F.

And while on the subject of flywheels, I guess this may improve with running in, but the (tiny) flywheel doesn't seem to have much momentum - cut off power at medium speed the the loco stops. Still it clearly does its job of smoothing out the motor. The running is no doubt helped a great deal by (it looks like) both wheels being driven directly from the motor by gears, rather than relying on the coupling rods to transfer drive, so no 'rod slack' to impair running.

Very, very nice models, and quite litterally worth every penny. I'll say it again, congratualtions to KMRC and Dapol. Looking forward to further playing/testing over the next few days.

Not the best pic, and without vac pipes, but she don't half look good with an assortment of couplings on the front end (3 link in back slot, screw over the hook). May have to invest in a pair of Exactoscale screwlinks - a luxary if you're only using them cosmetically, but Smiths are a bit 'coarse' on the front of such a lovely model. Plus one on each loco is all that is necessary since they would be moved from front to back as appropraite.

Will need to take a look at the valve on the side of the smokebox, its at a rather odd angle. No doubt a pair of tissue covered pliars followed by a dab of glue will sove it!

post-4226-0-66493500-1322698380_thumb.jpg

Just got my Beattie Well Tanks what a fantastic model - One will make the occsional appearence on my Croxley WRD layout, as the real Croxley Mills did have china clay deliverd by rail OK not hauled by Beatties but IML etc :lol: .

This will be when we run the layout in early 1960's era with only green EMU's and there will be at least 2 other steam locos which will make occassional apperences -however they are as per prototype banned from entering the depot building!

XF

• 2 weeks later...

An legitimate excuse to buy a BWT is somewhat difficult to find.....however this should please anyone who aspires to model the SW Main Line to the west.

30587_310560.jpg

Not sure the origins of the photo, it was bought at a long closed model shop but all the photos are local. Somewhere I have another photo of 39587 with a 'spares' and brake van at Yeovil Junction enroute to Wadebridge, presumably after a major at Eastleigh.

Tim

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

I have one of 30587 trundling round my layout now, after fitting Kadees and shaving down the brake rods to clear the uncoupling magnets it runs really well.

Just one question, there aren't any lampirons on the smokebox door. As in the picture 3 posts above there is a small bracket on the left hand side and nothing on the right. Kernows pictures also show this absence of lamp irons but the models of 30585 and 6 both have them..

Is there a prototypical reason for this or were they missed off this model ?

Roger

• RMweb Premium

Remember all three locos were different in greater or lesser detail for the entire time they were at Wadebridge. In my opinion Kernow has represented those differences very well within the scale of modelling and time periods portrayed.

The well tanks might have carried lamps on occasions but apart from the Wadebridge shunter were not widely used after dark. Their normal identification was a single disc mounted at the base of the chimney for which Kernow provides both the mounting mouldings and the discs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

From a roundabout way, I've finally got one of these little beauties. 30585. Very nicely done, smooth though slightly whiny drive, but such a lovely little loco. I only hope my Terrier project happens so I can do that to an equivalent or better standard.

An interesting problem has developed with one of my BWT's (Southern Railway 3329). It has developed a persistent stall/hangup at low speed on Peco insulfrog large radius curved and straight code 100 switches/turnouts just at the frog (I know I should have gotten rid of the insulfrogs long ago, but I am still dreaming that proper UK track will magically appear and have not relaid as my current Padstow layout is always "temporary".) I have cleaned the track and wheels but the problem persists. When 3329 first arrived and for the first two months it sailed through these same switches with no problem. My other BWT (3314 ex 30385) has no problems (hangups?} with the same switches. The 3329 BWT runs normally through Peco electrofrogs. The layout is strictly DCC but that should make no difference.

I suspect something is wrong with the electrical contact mechanism (plunger or contact strip?) on the on one or more of the axles. However the drive mechanism does not appear to be easily opened for investigation and possible repair. The boiler/cab superstructure is very easy to remove. But there are no diagrams or instructions for the drive or the model's mechanical insides.

Has anyone opened the inner mechanism and if so would you be able provide advice or post pictures of the internals and method for opening. If anyone has a similar problem how have they solved it. I am in California so returning my 3329 to Cornwall for repair/replacement is not an easy option.

Private messages okay.

From a roundabout way, I've finally got one of these little beauties. 30585. Very nicely done, smooth though slightly whiny drive, but such a lovely little loco. I only hope my Terrier project happens so I can do one to an equivalent or better standard.

I agree i just got mine home that i had for christmas runs great a agree a slight wine from the motor but runs well and looks good with a short trains

I have to say I am absolutely delighted;

I ordered a Well Tank on the 20th - maybe 21st of December and it arrived the next day (I had been let down by another model which was my Christmas Present you see) it was a frustrated moment of "I'm annoyed and need something to cheer me up."

It is a gorgeous little model and makes me wonder why I didn't get one before! I have 30587 and although it looks slightly odd rubbing shoulders with EPB's & LT Stock it has impressed me time & again. So I have to say well done to Kernow for making my christmas day. It ran beautifully out of the box and has only improved with some running in now, if you don't mind I am off to watch the coupling rods on my Beattie and plan which O2 I am after :D

Cheers,

~ Gary

I have to say I am absolutely delighted;

I have 30587 and although it looks slightly odd rubbing shoulders with EPB's & LT Stock it has impressed me time & again.

Cheers,

~ Gary

You are not alone Gary - Mine will me rubbing shoulders with LT Stock and North London Line stock as it shunts the china clay train for Croxley Mills! :D

XF

Just a few years before. Indeed all but the three which went on to become 30585-7 were withdrawn before railway electrification began!

Or in railway modellers terms, the BWT were sent to Cronwall AFTER 3rd and 4th rail came into existence, thus justifying both together ;)

Guest Belgian

Or in railway modellers terms, the BWT were sent to Cronwall AFTER 3rd and 4th rail came into existence, thus justifying both together ;)

You don't have to justify it Ed, a pair of them worked a couple of railtours around the electrified suburban branches in South London on 2nd and 126th December 1962 - passing over both 3rd and 4th rail territory.

JE

You don't have to justify it Ed, a pair of them worked a couple of railtours around the electrified suburban branches in South London on 2nd and 126th December 1962 - passing over both 3rd and 4th rail territory.

JE

That must have been a very long December!! ;)

(Yes, I know it's a typo, so I'm not really picking on you, JE) :D

Guest Belgian

That must have been a very long December!! ;)

(Yes, I know it's a typo, so I'm not really picking on you, JE) :D

Oh, it was . . . that's when I first got a Beatles record for Christmas . . .

One of my Well Tanks has a broken front buffer head. Has this happened to any others? Not sure how it got broken. A piece of it is bent back and it has a prominent crack. Does anybody have any suggestions how this could be fixed ? Does anyone know if the buffer shanks are glued into the buffer beam ? I'm in a bit of a quandry here. Maybe it could be feasable to replace them with sprung buffers ?

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Looks like one has crept under the radar or snuck out early! Kernow usually announce these things in their weekly Newletter first.

From the same website it seems 30586 is now sold out while despite suggestions many months ago that they were "85% pre-sold" (and I have no reason to doubt the accuracy of those comments) 30585 / 7 have remained top sellers and are still available. The SR version has long since sold out.

So it's good to see Kernow taking the opportunity to use the tool and get more of a popular type out in a different variation. I suspect these will go just as quickly.

• RMweb Gold

The full Kernow annoucement is below:

We are pleased to announce that a fifth Beattie Well Tank has been produced and is currently on board a ship from China due to arrive in the UK at the end of February.

Item reference K2055, this will be number 3314 in Southern Black livery with Bulleid Sunshine lettering and will be priced at £94.99 plus postage.

This model is limited to just 500 pieces and as the previous Southern model sold out very quickly we anticipate demand for this model will be very strong. Orders can be placed through our website or by phone - direct product link : - http://www.kernowmod...Locomotive_3314

post-243-0-39711300-1327398571_thumb.jpg

Further information and additonal pictures can be found on my blog here

• RMweb Premium

Those who are subscribed to the Kernow newsletter will now have received a special edition announcing the fifth well tank model. And as per the announcement we know it's already on the boat so no long wait until it arrives either.

Thanks for the head's up Graham! I regretted not ordering this first time around and have now flashed the plastic within minutes of their facebook notice going up.

Good thinking by Kernow to do another batch and I'm glad to support them.

Archived