Farish announcements - 2011

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

<snipped> My only concern is the picking off of decent N gauge kits in the wagon arena (for example the NGS autoballaster and the TPM nuclear flask) while there are still a lot of other choices to expand the range in to.

G.

Hi Grahame,

Bachmann have chosen a single autoballaster type, the JJA. These are the original conversions from stone hoppers, with Y25 bogies and buffers at both ends.

The NGS doesn't expect to sell many more of these, but our range also covers the three other main variants - the original Tiphook white/blue or all-blue KPA hoppers, the new-build HQAs in Railtrack livery, and the new-build HQAs in yellow Network Rail colours. The HQAs are significantly different to the JJAs - having different bogies, handrails and lighting and running in fixed 5-vehicle rakes with buffers on the outers only.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Personally I'm really glad that they've retooled the GUV and BG, but how about a Super GUV next year, eh Mr Hubbard? ;)

The Super GUV has already been done by Bachmann/Farish - it was one of the first re-tools that they did.

CHeers, Mike

The whole 'OO range down to N' thing is interesting because one thing I was expecting this year was a 3F - I would have put money on this as it's new to the OO range and fits in with the LMS-theme that Farish have been following of late...

However I should imagine this will present more challenges in fitting in the drive (and the weight) than what they have scaled down so far. A J39 may be an 0-6-0, but it is one with a much larger tender than that of a 3F. Perhaps the 3F is more suited to the Dapol approach of motor in tender, drive in loco.

Chris

However I should imagine this will present more challenges in fitting in the drive (and the weight) than what they have scaled down so far. A J39 may be an 0-6-0, but it is one with a much larger tender than that of a 3F. Perhaps the 3F is more suited to the Dapol approach of motor in tender, drive in loco.

Chris

Or just buy the Union Mills 3F with its formiddably powerful tender drive.......

Cheers,

Alan

Done some searching on Fotopic for SPA images.

Does anyone know if there was more than one SPA done in RF Metals? 460433

Putting together a shopping list and wondered if its worth buying more than one and renumbering.

Cheers

Mark

Hello,

I have been doing a little analysis of the forthcoming Farish Standard 5s. These were suprisingly diverse with 6 different tenders fitted to the class. Farish have announced that the initial batch will be with the BR1, BR1B and BR1C tenders. A quick scan of the RCTS book shows that the initial tender pairings for the Std 5s were as follows.

BR1: 50

Paired with locomotive Nos. 73000 to 73049

4250 gallon water capacity

7 ton coal capacity

BR1B: 60

Paired with locomotive Nos. 73080 to 73089 / 73100 to 73109 / 73120 to

73134 / 73145 to 73171

4725 gallon water capacity

7 ton coal capacity

BR1C: 35

Paired with locomotive Nos. 73065 to 73079 / 73090 to 73099 / 73135 to 73144

4725 gallon water capacity

9 ton coal capacity

BR1F: 10

Paired with locomotive Nos. 73110 to 73119 Water capacity stood at 5625 gallons, the greatest of all the 5MT tender types. These tenders were paired only with the Nine Elms-based examples listed above. The SR network lacked the water troughs found on other regions, hence the requirement to carry a greater amount of liquid.

7 ton coal capacity

BR1G: 3

Paired with locomotive Nos. 73050 to 73052

5000 gallon water capacity

7 ton coal capacity

BR1H: 12

Paired with locomotive Nos. 73053 to 73064

4250 water capacity

7 ton coal capacity

This immeadiately shows that Farish have chosen sensibly with the tenders as the BR1, B and C cover 85% of the class. The following is the list of initial models that Farish plan to produce (I have added the tender types in brackets).

372-725 Class 5MT No. 73068 in BR lined green with late crest (BR1C)

372-726 Class 5MT No. 73158 in BR lined black with late crest (BR1B)

372-727 Class 5MT No. 73082 in BR lined black with early emblem (BR1B)

372-728 Class 5MT No. 73014 in BR lined green with late crest (BR1)

This does indeed show a spread of tender types. 2 lined green examples seems interesting. I do not have my allocation notes handy but it is possible one is a WR example and one is an SR example. I believe that Eastleigh also painted some of their Std 5s green.

Food for thought.

372-725 Class 5MT No. 73068 in BR lined green with late crest (BR1C)

372-726 Class 5MT No. 73158 in BR lined black with late crest (BR1B)

372-727 Class 5MT No. 73082 in BR lined black with early emblem (BR1B)

372-728 Class 5MT No. 73014 in BR lined green with late crest (BR1)

This does indeed show a spread of tender types. 2 lined green examples seems interesting. I do not have my allocation notes handy but it is possible one is a WR example and one is an SR example. I believe that Eastleigh also painted some of their Std 5s green.

Food for thought.

I'm sold, 73068 is listed as having its last shed at Bath Green Park, 71G. And even better, I hav a pic of it in Sturminster in 1964. (see blog)

And is its tender scale size or anywhere near?

Chris

I'm not sure in terms of measurements, it doesn't look out of place (neither tender relative to loco or loco as a whole) - UM have steadily cut down the size of their drives from the originals which were a bit chunkier and taller and only fit in LNER group standard tenders. They share a few common wheelbases, so it'll depend on whether those are right for the 3F.

Without running a rule over them, I'd suspect they are pretty close.

Cheers,

Alan

I'm not sure in terms of measurements, it doesn't look out of place (neither tender relative to loco or loco as a whole) - UM have steadily cut down the size of their drives from the originals which were a bit chunkier and taller and only fit in LNER group standard tenders. They share a few common wheelbases, so it'll depend on whether those are right for the 3F.

Cheers,

Alan

Fortunately (at lest from my viewpoint) Bachmann don't seem to go for the 'it doesn't look too bad' form of production, instead preferring the 'it actually ran with the real loco' approach.

Chris

Fortunately (at lest from my viewpoint) Bachmann don't seem to go for the 'it doesn't look too bad' form of production, instead preferring the 'it actually ran with the real loco' approach.

Chris

That seems cheeky.

I didn't (and still don't) have the loco to hand so can't explicitly measure or compare it for you - I was only giving my impression of its accuracy.

Alan.

• RMweb Gold

Cheers,

Alan

The Union Mills 3F tender is very chunky. I have shrunk about seven or eight of their Johnson tenders for customers (couple of 2P's, at least four 3F's and most recently a 2F) by fairly drastic cutting down. I slice the body off horizontally at footplate level removing about a mm from the height. I also make a vertical cut down the centre reducing the width by about a mm. Even after this drastic surgery they are still a little over size but look an awful lot better, particularly with the addition of thin plasticard beading on the side tanks, replacement buffers, coal and handrails etc. Here is a 2F I did recently.

Jerry

post-1074-0-48203000-1299661718_thumb.jpg

Wish there was another Blue 08 in the listings for the comming announcement period, there's none to be had now.:(

I did find one in stock listed by a local model shop to me, only to conntacted later by them to say it was a dud on testing prior to dispatch. :angry:

Will just have to keep an eye on the auction sites now i suppose.

• RMweb Gold

[ Even after this drastic surgery they are still a little over size but look an awful lot better, particularly with the addition of thin plasticard beading on the side tanks, replacement buffers, coal and handrails etc. Here is a 2F I did recently.

Jerry

That's a huge improvement Jerry. Could I ask how easy was it to get the hanmdrails off and how did you do it? I am contemplating buying a J11, but given that it will run alongside a Farish B1 and in the not so distant future J39 and WD amongst other modern standard proprietary N gauge models, I would like to improve some of the detailing. Have you ever had a go at brake shoes??

Best wishes,

Alastair

Alastair,

I've also done this on UM models - a J39 and D20. Both have had brake gear fitted. The handrails are easy to get off as the castings are relatively soft metal, so can just be pared off with a scalpel.

Some of mine:

J39

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/gallery/image/15766-improved-j39jpg/

(further pics of this on the rest of the photostream)

D20

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/32958-lner-d20-converted-tolner-d20/page__p__348208__fromsearch__1#entry348208

Once detailed and repainted the UMs sit very well against modern offerings from Farish/Dapol, and offer some interesting prototypes that are less likely to be considered by the larger manufacturers. The drive is also highly renowned as being reliable smooth running and ridiculously powerful.

Cheers,

Alan

Jerry

That's a huge improvement Jerry. Could I ask how easy was it to get the hanmdrails off and how did you do it? I am contemplating buying a J11, but given that it will run alongside a Farish B1 and in the not so distant future J39 and WD amongst other modern standard proprietary N gauge models, I would like to improve some of the detailing. Have you ever had a go at brake shoes??

Best wishes,

Alastair

• RMweb Gold

Alan, thanks that's brilliant - really encouraging. A call to UM then and let's hope he's got one left!

You don't need the Farish J39 by the way, that one's looking great to me!

You don't need the Farish J39 by the way, that one's looking great to me!

We'll see what the Farish one is like, but it'll have to go some. I do have a second UM J39 awaiting the same treatment, so the other option is to replace it with Farish. Even if the Farish is better there's something nice about having one that is unique and that I can say "I made that!"! :D

I do like the solidity, and basic simplicity of the UMs. Their excellent running can be even further improved by fitting a Mashima 1015 5 pole motor instead of the UM 3 pole - this slows them down and gives outstanding 'crawl' performance.

You should do ok with UM if you intend to detail/repaint - just buy whatever livery they have in stock even if it's not the one you want! The J11 is rather nice and one of their more recent models - I have one Mashima fitted, albeit still in original finish without added detailing (yet!).

Cheers,

Alan

(Off topic Jerry, but can I ask what trackwork you've used there?)

Using the diminutive little tank engine in the background as a reference I would think this is handbuilt track to 2mm FS standards on an SDJR themed coal mine model.

Unfortunately I cannot remember the name of the model but remember seeing it at Wigan.

• RMweb Gold

Using the diminutive little tank engine in the background as a reference I would think this is handbuilt track to 2mm FS standards on an SDJR themed coal mine model.

Unfortunately I cannot remember the name of the model but remember seeing it at Wigan.

Woodenhead is correct on every count except the last, we have never been to the Wigan show. The trackwork is good old fashioned code 40 rail soldered directly to PCB sleepers and balasted with fine sand. The layout is Highbury Colliery, for more pictures see http://www.jerrycliffordmodels.co.uk/

The loco is simply posed for the photo before going to its new home (Paul Stephens' Midsomer Norton - see my website), it won't run through my pointwork with those wheels!!

regards Jerry

I noticed the mention of "powered bogie" singular on the 350 and 4CEP, and hope these 4-car units will be OK on gradients. Presumably the same mechanism as the 108 and 150, and the Blue Pullman would appear to have two powered bogies.

Glad these releases are making people happy. Not much that suits my own era and geography but continuing investment by Bachmann in the N gauge market is to be welcomed.

Archived