Farish announcements - 2011

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

I gather the 105 is the most requested Bachmann model for the "shrink ray", so anything's possible yahoo.gif

The 85 looks sublime and would be really welcome in N.

Does anyone know an approximate release date for the buses?

Probably like real buses; you wait for ages and then they all turn up together. But, yep, these have been a very very long time in coming; I wonder if we're at the wrong stop. :D

G.

Bit sad about that trailing truck, still a nasty gap that wouldn't exist in reality and doesn't exist in 00, but put on the scale front bogies and it looks very much like it's 00 cousin.

I'd like to see a photo where the trailing truck is actually sitting on the rails before commenting on the gap

Peter

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

For comparison with TomE's linked Bachmann image here are the piccies posted by Andy Y on other topics, I hope our beloved leader doesn't mind me bringing them together here ;)

post-6883-0-57142900-1311922134_thumb.jpg

From the Model and Hobby Show topic back in March, also showing the scale bogie wheels on one sample.

post-6883-0-07391000-1311922240_thumb.jpg

From the Bachmann Open Day topic.

I look forward to receiving my Tornado when released B)

Regards, Gerry.

The gap looks much less in the unpainted pictures, and in the painted one in the previous post it looks like the truck has dropped into a gap in the display stand. The picture in the OP shows a similar gap but it looks like the track has been added digitally - perhaps based on a picture where the loco was similarly posed on the same stand?

At the Open Day last weekend the N gauge stock is mounted on acrylic shelving which has two groves for the wheels which could account for the drop plus the trailing truck is on the very end of one of the acrylic sections.

I can't absolutely recall whether there are two settings in the loco/tender coupling bar but logic tells me the centre one of the three unpainted samples is on the closest setting and the remaining pictures show the wider setting.

The gap looks much less in the unpainted pictures, and in the painted one in the previous post it looks like the truck has dropped into a gap in the display stand. The picture in the OP shows a similar gap but it looks like the track has been added digitally - perhaps based on a picture where the loco was similarly posed on the same stand?

Who knows how the image was shot, a little more care could have saved some of this speculation. The scale wheels on the front truck do look the business though, they should be worth fitting them even if you have tighter cirves and have to remove the front brakes on the drivers. Most observers wouldn't notice the missing brakes until you tell them but the small wheels do draw the eye a bit.

Peter

[

Don't get me wrong, I might be a little sad about the gap (hopefully just bad placing, forgot about the unpainted sample pictures), I'll most likely be having one of these beasts. I need something large to haul my Gresleys.

Hope the A2 follows before an A4 at the very least.

• RMweb Gold

Since there is no gap on the first EP samples I think it's reasonable to assume there won't be on the production models. As already pointed out Tornado is sitting over the gap in two stands, one of which may just be a fraction lower.

I do hope they bring the black paint down on the tender to the top of the first set of lining though. It looks a bit odd as it is.

Tom.

Slightly worryingly their website has been updated and the buses have now gone from being marked as 'on order' to being 'out of stock'. Does anyone know what has happened - did they come in for a few days and have now all been sold? Hattons don't appear to have any.

G.

Slightly worryingly their website has been updated and the buses have now gone from being marked as 'on order' to being 'out of stock'. Does anyone know what has happened - did they come in for a few days and have now all been sold? Hattons don't appear to have any.

G.

Items in all categories have been marked "sold out" so I reckon there was an "issue with the interface between chair and keyboard" :-) That's happened before over the years and I reckon very soon it'll be corrected.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark

The Metalair PCAs are lovely - I have the plain grey and Blue Circle versions in front of me. Taking them up to the studio later to be photographed. Here is a photo from the open day:

post-420-0-89410300-1313490850_thumb.jpg

My full write up should be in next issue of Model Rail - other mags will have their review samples i am sure!

cheers

Ben A.

Cheers Ben

taking into account that these are prototypes, I do hope that the ladders on the finals will have the correct kink and look slightly better than that on the middle one there (11038)

The last thing we want to be doing is fiddling with these after buying "dozens"

Rgds

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark

The ladders on the models are etched, and therefore more fragile than chunkier plastic mouldings. My review samples have the correct profile - I imagine the display samples in the photo have been subjected to some clumsy handling and they've got distorted.

It's also important to put them back in the box the right way round.

cheers

Ben A.

Overall they do look very good, although I agree that the centre one does appear to have the ladders incorrectly straight (compare to the Blue Circle one that looks to have a more correct angled bend). Also the couplings on the Blue Circle one look rather droopy. The weathered ones I saw a pic of looks particulalrly outstanding and another advancement on the commercial application of crud.

Is there any news on expected release dates for these and some of the other new Farish stuff (including the buses)? Any chance of them being available at TINGS?

G.

• RMweb Premium

Is there any news on expected release dates for these and some of the other new Farish stuff (including the buses)? Any chance of them being available at TINGS?

According to mremag.com the PCAs are on the slow boat from China. Also in the container are the class 101 DMUs in Green (3 & 3 car), Blue (2 & 3 car) & Express Parcels (leaving the blue/grey and Regional Railways for the next boat?)

Fingers crossed they'll be in the country by TINGS in three weeks time.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

According to mremag.com ...

Now theres a site I haven't been to in years.. forgot about the guidelines

373-404 ZDA ‘Squid’ open plank wagon in BR departmental livery No.DC 100031 ??

This caught my eye, tried the usual suspect websites (incl Farish) and no sign of this, some close in the numbering series DC1000xx suggest this is ex OAA. Personally I would have prefered an OBA based one with the newer u/f.

Will just to wait to see what turns up.

Mark

Now theres a site I haven't been to in years.. forgot about the guidelines

373-404 ZDA ‘Squid’ open plank wagon in BR departmental livery No.DC 100031 ??

This caught my eye, tried the usual suspect websites (incl Farish) and no sign of this, some close in the numbering series DC1000xx suggest this is ex OAA. Personally I would have prefered an OBA based one with the newer u/f.

Will just to wait to see what turns up.

Mark

'Squid' were OAAs transferred to Departmental use- most were initially with the CM&EE fleet, used for conveying material to depots, rather than with the Civils. Confusingly, some (which had been used on Redland tile traffic) had built-up ends like OBAs, IIRC.

Archived