Farish announcements - 2011

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Not too expensive for me this year, probably only Tornado, maybe a WD Austerity.

Plenty of modern wagons though.

Just as interesting is the Farish Scenecraft new releases.

4 road engine shed

Coaling tower

Depot crane

Cheers

Owen

This does look like a great year for 'N' - And expensive, whatever era you may be modelling!

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the the next batch of mark 1 coaches. Not only are the existing models being re-released as A numbers, but there's a BCK, an RMB, an FO and most significantly two Mark 1 SLEEPERs in two liveries! I'm sure that they'll be popular if the wish lists are to be believed.

David

Mmm, plenty of stuff there to find a home with me.

The move to Network Rail test trains sounds interesting - hopefully the carriages produced retained mostly original window layouts upon conversion. The Gen Van is numbered in line with the other new BGs - so presumably it'll be one of these with windows painted over

Metalair PCA - lovely jubbly

Tornado was only a matter of time, wasn't it? A good excuse to buy a kettle!

I'll be after a Colas shed - typically the one they're doing is the only one not to have worked the Llanwern steel yet :lol:

New Mk1s (and Commonwealth bogies) are very welcome too - a chance to add to the railtour rake

BAA will make a nice load behind a 60. Plenty of livery variation on these

Like Ben, I'm surprised at the FNA shrinking rather than the car carrier, but the 4mm pre-prod pics do look good

60054 is a good choice for a sector 60, as it retains that livery to date. Why do they always release models of locos you've already modelled though? :lol: At least the grey looks right on this one, so rebranding should be nice and easy

All in all - looking forward to these releases

cheers

jo

OMGoodness! I'll have to sell the farm and the family - see my eBay listings!

What a fantstic vote of confidence in N scale....

Off to plan my Kent BR(SR)3rd rail layout. Of course I need a prototype that justifies Blue Pullmasn etc.etc

Gerry;o)))

There is some very interesting detail in this:

"phosphor bronze pickup bushes" on the steam locos and tenders. This means the J39 can't be using the B1 tender drive - hopefully this will be another step improvement. Also should remove the troubles of wiper contacts not making contact with the wheels, and poorly adjusted from the factory. To be applauded.

WD 2-8-0 with loco drive. This is interesting given they seem highly committed to tender drives. The WD certainly has a big enough tender! I wonder why this choice has been made - not a complaint though, I still like loco drive.

Regards,

Alan

At the risk of just repeating what other people have said... It's going to be an expensive year. Blue Pullman, A1, class 20, class 08, there's a two-tone green class 47 that should have had its issues sorted. J39, WD 8F, and the Ivatt 2MT... Not too fussed about the 5MT, but I suspect that I'll end up getting one anyway. :) And I'm sure I could find a home for a 4CEP somewhere. [The only problem is the short platform at Cricklestone points north rather than south...]

A few little surprises there. Personally I would have expected an LMS 8F rather than the WD type. And as for getting a Blue Pullman... [Not that I'm complaining]

From a purely selfish point of view;-

It'll be interesting to compare the rtr Farish J39 with my detailed Union Mills versions and also see how they stack up in the haulage stakes. Even the A1 is too late for me. (My V2 is pushing it, being wartime rather than pre-war).

So although I commend Farish for their varied and appealing list, only the J39 might tempt me.

(Still waiting for a decent A3 and A4, although with the A1 we will get an LNER designed pacific with decent wheels and valve gear etc. Sorry, back to wish lists.)

Thank you Farish for your continued faith and investment in N gauge. I hope I am able to continue buying your products in future, which will obviously depend on my own finances and your future releases. New A3s and A4s......I'll have as many as my pockets will allow.

Nothing to argue about with that lot except maybe where are the MkIIs?

Mk1 Sleepers YES!!!! at last. J39 and a WD - excellent and I reckon that makes it 12 months to an 04 announcement.

Looking at the Farish site there is also a Blue/Grey MkIII sleeper coming, OK it will be the existing tooling but it's been a long time since those were available.

Presflos and BAAs - another YES.

Loco drive - is that perhaps to make space in the tender for some sort of sound offering?

I might have to consider selling my old Mk1s now to replace with newer ones.

Reading between the lines the 25, 31, 50 and 55 are down to single liveries hinting at replacements somewhere in the pipeline. The 31 is in today's announcements so I would put that at the back of the queue, so will a 25 or a 55 pop up unexpectedly somewhere between now and the N Gauge show. The 50 I think is going Welsh.

(Still waiting for a decent A3 and A4, although with the A1 we will get an LNER designed pacific with decent wheels and valve gear etc. Sorry, back to wish lists.)

The Farish A4 body is pretty good (can't say the same for the A3 though) - should look even better with the A1 mech. and chassis under it!

I'm wondering whether you could use the A1 chassis as the basis for an A3 or A4 (or possibly even a Raven A2). I'm not familiar enough with LNER locos to be able to say one way or the other and I don't have a diagram of the Peppercorn A1 to hand. I'm guessing you could if you wanted to, and maybe I'll find a use for that spare A4 body after all. :)

I guess Tornado always meant that the A1 would come out first, but at least there's an 8 wheel tender drive unit now...

I guess Tornado always meant that the A1 would come out first, but at least there's an 8 wheel tender drive unit now...

8 wheel tender drive unit......YES.....that Scratch built P2 is now going to be a lot easier. (Simon, if you're looking in I need my German eight coupled back!) wink.gif

Guest tony graham

Mmmmmm a New 20

Dear Bachmann-Farish

A Modern DRS 20 would be most welcome, and be pretty sharp about it too

Considerações

Tony

Couple of other points occur to me, just looking at the Farish website - looks like the Warship and 24 aren't in the lineup. Perhaps giving it a year to clear old stock or something, although I'm surprised the 24 has been given a rest already. Actually, there's no Class 14 either, or 03. All fairly recent introductions.

Only just noticed that 101 in parcels livery! Didn't even know there was such a thing :blush:

For me it will be an expensive year ahead.

Very pleased - only disappointemnt, no MK2a but they will come for sure.

(Edit: MK2a = MK2s (all versions a/z - f) - but the coaches side is for all intents and purposes devoid of them, so they will be introduced)

Hope that all the new bogies will be sold as spares

Big "Thank You" to Farish

I've just noticed, and yes, you can call me stupid, that the WD 8F has loco drive. Now there's an interesting thought. Maybe it means I'll be able to get that 2-8-4T off the drawing board this year. Come to think of it, with a change of cylinders maybe it'll do for a 72xx or 42xx chassis... :)

I wonder how it'd do for an S200 or S160? Edit: Wikipedia is not my friend. I thought the S200 then that wasn't suited for UK loading gauges, but that the S160 was. Then I realised they both were.

8 wheel tender drive unit......YES.....that Scratch built P2 is now going to be a lot easier. (Simon, if you're looking in I need my German eight coupled back!) wink.gif

I'll second the thought of building a P2 ther Mike!

Good to see that we've got a second loco for the LNER 6 wheel drive - shame that it'll be out against the Union Mills J39. I hope that Colin won't be too badly affected by it though...

It'll be interesting to see how quickly an A3 or A4 (or both!) appear after the Pepercorn A1 is released. Remember we got some surprises with the LMS locos once the Jubilee got released. I don't supose that I'm the first to have noticed that Farish hasn't produced a run of the old A3 and A4 for a little while now...

Finally we can drag kinlet wharf right up to date with the 350's. WOO HOO.

The FNA is a welcome addition as I was looking at the TPM one and thinking about 2 or 3 for my soon to be repainted 37 and 47 to handle.

Tornado is hardly a shock but will probably get one.

the Network rail 31 and coaches are an interesting one and I will probably get them as well.

I am also very surprised that the 70 hasn't been shrunk yet but as it has been mentioned the N gauge show in September needs an announcement.

I really need a lottery win right about now.

Alistair

I think i just heard my wallet quietly weeping in the corner!

What a great list, GF should be congragulated for some of the more diverse stuff on there, I didn't think we would ever see a pullman rtr in N. Also good that the updating of older pieces continues.

Now just to stop planning/dreaming and get somewhere ready to run it all.

Nik

Early 08's, Presflos, more Mk1s and a Blue Pullman.

Four more nails in the '...but I can't build a 2mm South Wales mainline in the early 70s layout beacuse XYZ isn't available....' coffin.

<shakes fist at Bachmann>

Pix

Would you believe it,the past few nights I've been working on a pair of Blue Circle Metalair PCAs to go with the Alcan Metalair I've just done.

Now I thought this was a safe scratchbuild, !!!

As for the rest of the Wagonload Speedlink era wagons. Better start saving.

Rgds

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I wonder if any manufacturers attended the Bachmann hobby expo today and took any photos of new models on display?

Apart from the Class 70 I've also, after extensive thought, finally found something they haven't done that I'd like from their OO range: Railtrack PNA!

cheers

Ben A.

Not only is the news from Bachmann immensely cheering (thanks Mr Hubbard and all at Bachmann!) but the way it is received on here is brilliant too!

Nary a moan or a "why didn't they do xyz,..."!

It all makes wonderful reading now,

HURRAH FOR Bachmann!!!

Cheers,

John E.

There is some very interesting detail in this:

"phosphor bronze pickup bushes" on the steam locos and tenders. This means the J39 can't be using the B1 tender drive - hopefully this will be another step improvement. Also should remove the troubles of wiper contacts not making contact with the wheels, and poorly adjusted from the factory. To be applauded.

Regards,

Alan

Does anyone happen to know if that implies some sort of split-frame construction (like Dapol)?

Chris

Very impressive announcements from Farish - good to see them (and Dapol) really pushing N Gauge ahead. Personally I'm also glad there is no duplication with the Dapol announcements, I'd far rather see more variety produced. I think that an N gauge Tornado is a very good idea, it has probably eclipsed Flying Scotsman as the most well known loco in the UK. I suspect a lot of people with a passing interest will want one of these which may lead to more people looking at N Gauge as a starter/trainset possibility, which can only be good for N Gauge as a whole

My only slight gripe is there still seems to be a gap for the medium type 2/3 diesels that were made by Poole but now no longer made (or only in limited liveries) such as the 25/31/33. Can't help thinking there would be a bigger market for re-tooled versions of these than a Blue Pullman? But thats probably just reflects my modelling interests. Maybe it'll even spur me on to do the 24 to 25 conversion I've been thinking of.

Still very good to see and I think many of us will buy a Tornado - if only for 'railtours' on our layout

Archived