Farish announcements - 2011

Andy Y

My only slight gripe is there still seems to be a gap for the medium type 2/3 diesels that were made by Poole but now no longer made (or only in limited liveries) such as the 25/31/33.

True but we also have the 24 and 37 in that bracket plus the Hymek and 26 yet to come from Dapol. I am sure it is only a matter of time before the 25 gets redone and Dapol's 26 could lead to a 33 down the line. I suspect that this is part of a canny strategy. People might hold off replacing existing locos in straightened times but might be more willing to splash out on all-new shiny toys.

Yeh, just been looking at the Farish website and was wandering if the fact that they were pics of the OO one was good news!

- having just moved (back) into 2mm it all looks good to me, well done Bachmann/Farish!

This is standard practice at Bachmann. They use the 00 images as place holders for the N gauge ones until real images become available. At least they have stopped the annoying habit of photo-shopping Rapidos onto them. It gave the impression that models were closer to production than they really were. :rolleyes:

• RMweb Gold

Just noticed some of the RRPs of the wagons. £21.50 for the SPA. That's a bit eye watering for a 2 axle wagon! There's certainly been a jump in RRPs. Price of progress/increasing raw materials/wages etc I suppose.

Just noticed some of the RRPs of the wagons. £21.50 for the SPA. That's a bit eye watering for a 2 axle wagon! There's certainly been a jump in RRPs. Price of progress/increasing raw materials/wages etc I suppose.

I was struck by this too, although you do get the load thrown in which must add to the cost. The RRP for the metalair PCA doesn't appear to be much higher than the RRP for the current Poole-vintage cement tanks.

I'd also like to know why the RRP for an A1 is £136, but for Tornado it is £148, something to do with it's name?

Probably :D, perhaps it comes with it's back up diesel loco. And isn't there extra bits on Tornado to allow it to run on the real modern railway.

G.

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks

I suspect that the SPA price is a typo, especially as the Metalair PCAs, which are also newly tooled, are at the more usual £10 mark for a 4-wheel wagon.

I don't know why Tornado should be more expensive than the other ones - it wouldn't surprise me at all if Bachmann are donating some of the cash towards the maintenance of Tornado. And as I believe the loco's boiler is currently in Germany for an expensive rebuild, I imagine they probably need it!

cheers

Ben A.

I'd also like to know why the RRP for an A1 is £136, but for Tornado it is £148, something to do with it's name?

Maybe a percentage from each sale is going to the A1 Trust? Also, I notice that the RRP for 4 CEP and 350 in 'N' is more expensive than in 'OO'. OK, it's only a couple of pounds and the diference will probably disappear when discounted. I'm sure that there are others, but they're just two I noticed.

David

I was kinda hoping for more shrinkage from OO. especially the VDA. and some of the 37 liveries from oo moving to N.

The sight of new tooling is very welcome in this tight financial market especially the likes of using the OCA to morph out the SPA. No image for the ZDA though I'm wondering if this will be a new livery on an OBA.

Rgds

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Looks like I will need to buy a load of 5 plank wagons and convert them to clay wagons then.

For me these releases show that Farish have other ambitions apart from just updating the existing range which is great and I probably will pick up a Pullman as my layout can easily move from its real location to any where in the country.

My only slight gripe is there still seems to be a gap for the medium type 2/3 diesels that were made by Poole but now no longer made (or only in limited liveries) such as the 25/31/33. Can't help thinking there would be a bigger market for re-tooled versions of these than a Blue Pullman? But thats probably just reflects my modelling interests. Maybe it'll even spur me on to do the 24 to 25 conversion I've been thinking of.

I'm wondering if the 'It's N Gauge' class 25 kit (or class 23 kit for that matter) will fit on the Farish class 24 chassis...

[Not being that big a diesel fan, I'm not wondering enough to find out...]

Looks like I will need to buy a load of 5 plank wagons and convert them to clay wagons then.

The wheelbase may well be wrong as the china clay wagons had a 9' WB whereas I think the RTR 5-plank wagons have a 10' wheelbase.

You could get the Parkwood china clay wagon kits. These are fairly simple plastic construction and fit on the Peco 9' WB chassis so are more accurate than a repainted 5-planker.

They are available through the NGS if you are a member.

Having now had a little time to think about the announcements, my conclusion is that they are well thought out and very welcome. There's a good spread of periods and traction types covered, plus a tentative step in to the so far completely ignored EMU market; that's forward thinking, a big opportunity and a courageous move. There's no major duplication with other RTR manufacturers and the choices even appear to dovetail; despite the few whinges about the lack of WR models this area is already nicely covered in the near future by Dapol and Ixion with a Hall, 38xx, Western class 52 and 63xx Mogul. My only concern is the picking off of decent N gauge kits in the wagon arena (for example the NGS autoballaster and the TPM nuclear flask) while there are still a lot of other choices to expand the range in to.

However, more importantly is that in a time of economic depression and doubt, the announcements show a big commitment to the N gauge market, particularly in that the major loco/units due rather trump the OO ones by several factors, and that looks set to ensure continued growth and added attraction. There probably hasn't been a better time to consider modelling in British 1:148 N gauge; either starting, making a switch from other scales/gauges or adding the the scales one dabbles in.

G.

After being underwhelmed by Dapol's announcements for 2011 I'm glad that Farish have made up for it with their surprisingly long list of new models! Surely there can't be many n gauge modellers who will be saying "nothing for me this year" like some usually do. :rolleyes:

Personally I'm really glad that they've retooled the GUV and BG, but how about a Super GUV next year, eh Mr Hubbard? ;)

The 101 DMU in Express Parcels livery is a pleasant surprise, but now it means that I'll have to buy three different versions of the 101 instead of my planned two. The 350 will be on my shopping list and if I've got any money left (now seemingly unlikely!) a 4-CEP and possibly a Class 20. I'm happy with these announcements, but my credit card is probably weeping.

• RMweb Premium

A very interesting list of new models.

It's suprising just how far British N has come in the last few years. Five or six years ago I had a wish list as long as my arm. Since then just about everything I want has become availabe (142, 150, 156, SPA etc). With this batch of new models all I'm left with is non-aircon Mk2s, Mk1 CCT, Interfrigo or Transfesa ferry vans and an updated class 25.

With the A1 new this year, surely favourite for next year's catalogue has to be an A3 especially as Flying Scotsman is due back on the main line in a few months time.

Lets hope the magazines actually give the new N Gauge models some coverage and that these models don't get left to a paragraph at the end of a list of 4mm MLV and SECR C Class locos. The future's bright, the future's N!

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• RMweb Premium

Ever the optimist Pete tongue.gif .

The 20 is interesting from a preservation point of view as they seem reasonably popular on this scene.

From a personal point of view I will be interested to see the 5mt.

Hi

Hes not on his own. Maybe next year.

Cheers

Paul

I wonder whether the 350 will encourage Dapol to move the Pendolino from the back-burner to the front one again? After all, the modern WCML suddenly starts to look very feasible.

hear hear

thats what me and the rest of the Kinlet Wharf opperating team are now hoping for.

Alistair

• RMweb Premium

Surely there can't be many n gauge modellers who will be saying "nothing for me this year" like some usually do. :rolleyes:

Depends what you model. We can't expect every manufacture to produce something that suits us every year. For me the 2 models that I picked up on are only things that I might consider. Nothing struck me as a must have, but as money is tight this is something that I consider to be a bonus.

My only slight gripe is there still seems to be a gap for the medium type 2/3 diesels that were made by Poole but now no longer made (or only in limited liveries) such as the 25/31/33. Can't help thinking there would be a bigger market for re-tooled versions of these than a Blue Pullman? But thats probably just reflects my modelling interests. Maybe it'll even spur me on to do the 24 to 25 conversion I've been thinking of.

To be honest Tom I think it's simply a case of 'what's available in the OO range that we can downsize?'. Bachmann have gone on record as saying that this is their underlying strategy for Farish, and while the Class 25 is indeed available in OO, the other two aren't :( And the problem is that if they invest in tooling for a 31 or 33 in N gauge, they can't realistically then go the other way and upscale them to OO - Hornby have had a quality 31 available for some time (albeit with a few complaints about certain aspects) and Heljan have pretty much cornered the market in 33s. The Class 31 is a particularly interesting one as Farish put it out in all-over green with no yellow warning panel last year and have gone for the fancy yellow livery this year - both fairly unusual ones to pick. So does that indicate a last squeezing of the existing body to get some revenue from doing some lesser liveries before going for a new tooling (knowing that it will be some years before they get through some of the more common liveries before arriving at the green and yellow ones again, so why not offer them now), OR does it indicate a commitment to using the existing tooling for a good few years yet? I don't know enough about selling model trains to know one way or the other.

And this is from someone who would definitely buy a 31 in blue and a 33 in green - I'm not anti the idea of either :)

The whole 'OO range down to N' thing is interesting because one thing I was expecting this year was a 3F - I would have put money on this as it's new to the OO range and fits in with the LMS-theme that Farish have been following of late. I certainly saw this as a far more likely bet than the LNER J39 we got! Presflos was the other one I would have put money on and we got that, and I wonder if they will be a bit of a 'sleeper' hit - wagon releases don't capture the headlines in quite the same was as new locos, especially not 'workhorse' wagons like these, but, remembering the reaction to the OO versions, I wonder if the N gauge ones will set a new standard for N gauge wagon releases? The OO ones were stunning in terms of detail and livery application, and if Farish do the same in N - particularly on the detail front - they could be a bit of an 'under the radar' hit. Not capturing the big headlines and quietly going through development, but upon release wow-ing us with a new high level of quality.

Very interesting times ahead... and right now for that matter.

Archived