The changing face of Bristol

• RMweb Gold

Another one bites the dust.

Unfortunately, it is often the case that local communities decide too late that they'd like to make use of some building or other. Such was the case with the old signal box at South Brent - 15 years of prevarication by the parish council meant that when they did finally get their collective a*ses in gear, it was all too little, too late.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've just come across a most interesting view on Mike Lidgley's Flikr site

7180498962_49d05d8255_z.jpgAdvertising Railway Engines, early 1960s by Mike Lidgley, on Flickr

Look where it's taken. The train is crossing over Temple Gate with the Grosvenor Hotel and St Mary Redcliffe behind, apparently en route from Redcliffe Yard or the Harbour railway.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

I've just come across a most interesting view on Mike Lidgley's Flikr site

7180498962_49d05d8255_z.jpgAdvertising Railway Engines, early 1960s by Mike Lidgley, on Flickr

Look where it's taken. The train is crossing over Temple Gate with the Grosvenor Hotel and St Mary Redcliffe behind, apparently en route from Redcliffe Yard or the Harbour railway.

Looks to be running right over the site of our present Bristol offices - Templepoint.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Actually running over the bridge in my picture on page one of this thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/48455-the-changing-face-of-bristol/

The building in both pictures in the Grosvenor Hotel which would put the Hymek in a different position in relation to Templepoint as it is a bit nearer to Temple Meads.  An absolute dump of a  place in it later years - i attended a Sectional Council meeting there once - can't remember what it was about - and it turned into a total shambles as the Staff Side were most upset having been accommodated there thh previous night only to find that its main business by then was a sort of DHSS hostel so they spent the entire meeting making the management side suffer for their experiences of the previous night.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The building in both pictures in the Grosvenor Hotel which would put the Hymek in a different position in relation to Templepoint as it is a bit nearer to Temple Meads.  An absolute dump of a  place in it later years

I have a feeling I might have arranged for one poor unfortunate to be put up there for the night, after his late train missed the Glasgow sleepers.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I remember driving past that place many a time when I was younger. I was in the passenger seat as it was legal then for my age. I also remember the stink coming out the brewery not far away. Amazing considering how much I lover the stuff now.

I still remember my father falling in the stairs on the old (well it wasn't that old back then) footbridge over the road from Temple Meads near that hotel and him ending up in hospital.

Despite visiting Temple Meads many a time seeing my father off on the sleeper to Edinbugth on a Sunday night in the late 60s my first ever train trip was from Keynsham to Sloguh in he early 70's and it wasn't till the 80's that I actually travelled by train into Temple Meads.

Back in Bristol next weekend if all goes to plan.

Here is an area that has changed a lot. I was there on an official visit. Marsh Junction.

attachicon.gifMarsh Junction 1.jpg

When was this taken?

I made a visit on 1980 with my dad when he was on duty hunting for lost engineering wagons.

Here is a view looking the other way of the DMU refuelling point

post-7081-0-14984000-1455885834_thumb.jpg

Cardiff class 120 set C555 stands at the refuelling point, in the right background is single power car W55033

which was in store following damage sustained in a collision with the stop blocks at Severn Beach, 18/6/80

cheers

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

It never ceases to amaze me how they manage to plan and complete these large construction projects, and how much work can be completed in a 24 hour period despite the weather, and the long nights at that time of year.

I have the greatest admiration for everyone involved in these kinds of professions.

I would have added something similar under the video, but comments have been disabled.

• RMweb Gold

This isn't actually urban Bristol, but it's close.

This is another aspect of how the railways of the area are changing, this time for the better. This view was taken on a site visit today:

attachicon.gifIMG_8310.jpg

It is the new sidings on the Severn Beach line off of the single line section between St Andrews Road and Severn Beach.  

• Like 1