ModelRail USTC 0-6-0 Tank Loco Project USA

Andy Y

At the time I bought my 30064, I had a Bachmann 36-558 decoder installed. Control and smoothness weren't bad, but I felt that the smoothness in particular could be further improved. I bought a Lenz Silver mini+ decoder online from Rails, and that arrived in the post yesterday. Tonight, I swapped the decoders, and it more or less proved me right: the Lenz decoder is just that much smoother and more controlled, albeit, at twice the price of the Bachmann one. Still, I think it was a worthwhile expense, and I also think that the USA tank is now running at the fullest potential of the model.

I'm sure I'll find a use for the Bachmann decoder in due course.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW

I have been wrestling with my conscience about buying one of these as a) I can't run this on my home layout (the royal branch line ) and b) the railway budget is so overspent it makes the national debt look like an irrelevance   but on the journey up to warley i reasoned that a) Bachmann wouldn't ever make a KVWR  version ever again   b) I did actually travel on the footplate when I was a volunteer on said railway in my teenage years  c)  they were on special offer    and d) I would be paying the ebay bandits a fortune in coming years if I wasn't brave now .   ( see midland pullman )

So  I took the plunge    Chris Nevard   offered to give it a run on his excellent layout on the stand but I demurred preferring  to do this at home      wise move  if I had I'd have been there all day and not seen this years excellent exhibition   ( is it me or was it much better this year than last )  

what have Bachmann done ????   this loco is so smooth it's unreal       I actully couldn't belive it   so I ran my 64xx the latest loco I have from Bachmann which I thought was really good  against it   the USA  is another step on  and the motion is true poetry   what a lovely model   well done to all at Model Rail

when I win the lottery I'm going to get it sound fitted 

• Like 5

I was at DougN's place yesterday afternoon, for his 11 year old's birthday. I took 30064 along to show off, and tried it out on his train of Bachmann Collectors' Club wagons (18 wagons plus a brake van) when he wasn't looking. It surprised us with the ease with which it hauled them even on the tricky uphill curve on Doug's figure-of-8 layout. 

Yet more praise for this lovely little model. :)

• Like 1

post-24481-0-80579900-1480335454.jpgI was not expecting to find the USA tanks on sale at Warley.

I was intending to send off for 30071, but when I saw them at £110, my bank card

leaped out of my pocket on it's own !.

What a superb model. Congratulations to all concerned, and for a commission not expensive.

• Like 5

I would also like to add my thanks for these superb little engines!

IMG_20161128_192050_zpsjvi1hh9z.jpg

The original plan was only to buy one! Like many others have said, the running qualities are superb, and with 68 becoming our go to engine at our first exhibition when everything else decided it was one of those days, I just had to have another!

Stuart

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I noticed sometime ago that 30064 in lined malachite sold out very quickly, 30073 was also in

this livery, and might make an excellent choice if a re-run of these exquisite models is ever considered.

Consider one sold already !.

30073 had an extended bunker, which hasn't been modelled, as yet.

Afaik all the green ones were uniquely different. 30064/72/73/75 have different alterations (72/75only wore green in preservation only, 72 having a unique bunker extension fitted in the 70's and went green in the 90's, 75 being a Yugoslav import).

DS238 wainwright would be possible in BR dept service, but both ds233/8 have had extensive alterations in preservation too.

I bought an additional 30064 thinking to do a renumber, as I saw them selling out, now I'm on the fence knowing if I did a renumber it'd be incorrect, if I did the mods it'd destroy the finish.

I purchased a USA dock tank at Warley, to compliment a Roco HO  USA sound tender engine which has just been released and on its way to Dukinfield

I'm eagerly awaiting one of them too, the photos look fantastic ! Edited by adb968008

30073 had an extended bunker, which hasn't been modelled, as yet.

Afaik all the green ones were uniquely different. 30064/72/73/75 have different alterations (72/75only wore green in preservation only, 72 having a unique bunker extension fitted in the 70's and went green in the 90's, 75 being a Yugoslav import).

DS238 wainwright would be possible in BR dept service, but both ds233/8 have had extensive alterations in preservation too.

I bought an additional 30064 thinking to do a renumber, as I saw them selling out, now I'm on the fence knowing if I did a renumber it'd be incorrect, if I did the mods it'd destroy the finish.

Many thanks for that. I am not into the detail variations of the USA tanks, so the extended bunker on 30073 escaped my notice.

I have fond(ish) memories of 30064 and 30072 ( which was the regular loco ) at Guildford.

I say ' fond (ish) ' because 30072 replaced Guildford's lovely little B4 30089, never to be seen again.

I am sure any tooling mods.to produce further variants of the class, would be welcomed, and would sell well.

My 30071, purchased at Warley, is one of Bachmann's finest efforts.

Many thanks for that. I am not into the detail variations of the USA tanks, so the extended bunker on 30073 escaped my notice.

I have fond(ish) memories of 30064 and 30072 ( which was the regular loco ) at Guildford.

I say ' fond (ish) ' because 30072 replaced Guildford's lovely little B4 30089, never to be seen again.

I am sure any tooling mods.to produce further variants of the class, would be welcomed, and would sell well.

My 30071, purchased at Warley, is one of Bachmann's finest efforts.

I'm afraid any new runs or tooling revisions will be up to Bachmann in several years' time. The present range of available 'USAs' sees out Model Rail's contract with Bachmann. In due course the tooling will revert to Bachmann and they might or might not see fit to add the 'USA' to their standard range. However I think it is unlikely that enlarged bunker versions will be issued as they require substantial retooling, all the bunker extensions being different. We have done all the variants that are practical from the existing toolings, where the details suit more than one locomotive. It may well be that, in due course, I will look at how the 'odd-balls' can be created by kit-bashing one of the existing models. (CJL)

Finally managed to get my hands on NCB 36 (was removed from my hands by management just after it arrived from Kernow in Sep) and what a model this is. Superb. Although i suspect that my allowance will nto allow it for some months to come, count me in for another one (probably 30071 - I'm pretty sure that this was loaned to the NCB for a while, right? :) )

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Just fitted a sound chip from Howes Models to my dock tank, just running in at the mo. But it does look like I need to fit a 'stay alive' to the decoder. There isn't much room so I have to but the chip and speaker in the Cab. Any one else fitted a sound chip?

I'd be really interested is seeing a clip of this in action if thats possible

Finally managed to get my hands on NCB 36 (was removed from my hands by management just after it arrived from Kernow in Sep) and what a model this is. Superb. Although i suspect that my allowance will nto allow it for some months to come, count me in for another one (probably 30071 - I'm pretty sure that this was loaned to the NCB for a while, right? :) )

If you are chipping the NCB one be aware that the extra handrails fitted to this are very tightly fitted to the smokebox and need to be undone to get the body off.  Mine refused to move and when the left one finally did give it carried away the semicircular handrail on the smokebox door as well, breaking off one of the handrail knobs.

Les

• RMweb Premium

Got my 30067 (MR-109) courtesy of Kernow who chipped it with a Zimo from my stock. Superb service. Great little runner, as well as a good hauler (6 Bachmann Mk.1 coaches without a murmur or hesitation). Looks like it will be responsible for much of the shunting, as it seems better than many other locos (including a Craftsman 05) in my collection. If all locos were as good as this and the SLW Class 24s. Well worth the cost.

I'd be really interested is seeing a clip of this in action if thats possible

Well after I fitted the sound chip, the next day I manage to stupidly loco left the layout on landed on the floor, so it's going into the works for repair! The smoke box handrail and buffer beam step broken off! You can imagine what sort of words I might have said!