Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, hayfield said:

You have just hit the nail on the head, I always look on the down side and value an item which includes the wheels and motor. Sometimes I buy a complete kit, taking the wheels motor and gears then reselling the basic kit, many fail to include these into their calculations of whit the kit is worth (think I have heard it as farming)

I've also heard it called "asset stripping"!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

In a way it’s a smaller scale version of buying job lots to keep a few bits and selling the extra. 

Try finding a decent lot described as a job lot, I find this one of the worst searches

But you are spot on, there are some fantastic opportunities that every now and then come to the surface 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This is the closet thread to my comment - bought a few bits from "Whoojamaflipmarky" - all buy it now with free postage so I included that in my assessment of whether to buy or not.

Fast delivery, well packed and even a partial refund of some of the postage costs. That was unexpected.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bucoops said:

This is the closet thread to my comment - bought a few bits from "Whoojamaflipmarky" - all buy it now with free postage so I included that in my assessment of whether to buy or not.

Fast delivery, well packed and even a partial refund of some of the postage costs. That was unexpected.

Agreed, they are quick to deliver, well packed, and like yourself I even had some postage refunded.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 03/01/2022 at 23:42, Bucoops said:

Well done.  How did you manage to get a partial refund of some of the postage costs when it was all  free postage?  :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Well done.  How did you manage to get a partial refund of some of the postage costs when it was all  free postage?  :)

I'd guess at multiple separate items purchased - so the seller offered a combined postage fee to cover the lot.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Well, in stark contrast to ebay madness, I had a very good buy from Rails of Sheffield last week.....

3x Second class DR 4 wheel coaches by Lilliput for a shade under £30 Inc post, bagged via their sale and an extra 15% ebay voucher. They arrived yesterday and tbh look completely unused :yes:

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 2

Finally the postman turned up with some packages, two of which will be farmed, one was a miss described GWR mogul etched brass chassis with a LMS tender, well the tender will be resold making the chassis quite cheap. I bought this on Boxing day, the seller did not post it till the 10th (somewhat annoying) then our sorting office is having problems. Still it arrived 

The second was a kit which had two chassis, I am keeping the etched brass chassis frames along with a few other extras and reselling the kit (still with a chassis) which again should soften the cost greatly.

• Like 4

On 09/12/2021 at 18:20, hayfield said:

Do I start with the good news or the bad news, well it arrived quickly yesterday

789.jpeg.22c5509ec5b996442e4569830a6f8f5d.jpeg

I opened the box and there was a thin bit of foam covering this lot

790.jpeg.c06fd209b5e2f69f7bb5228459078952.jpeg

The main causality, I think I will put it in a warm place prior to trying to bend it

Have I got all the parts, I think so or there about's

The good news is the motor is a  Mashima 1020, High Level LH+ (load hauler plus ?) and 3 sets of hornblocks

A full set of instructions are a bonus and one of the 2 K's HP2M motors work, the second is missing a brush

Lets face it the motor and gearbox covers the cost.

On top of that I had a punt on a nice built but unpainted B4, I think its a Southeastern Finecast, lovely etched chassis built to 00 gauge with sprung pickups on one side, think the motor is a DS10 and no idea of the gearbox yet

I have a damaged one which is somewhat better than that and has a complete running chassis with a DS11 and Romfords. Was a cheap toy fair purchase which as I picked it to examine, the vendor suggested a figure, which I accepted,.he hadn’t any other kit stuff so assume he wanted rid. I could get the parts to repair from Dave Ellis, however you have what’s needed. Pm if interested. 

• Like 1

I have bought 3 chassis over the weekend, 2 unbuilt, plus a J50 built to EM gauge with a set of ultrascale wheels , it even had a detailed plastic body. Its compensated and I all I have just got to manage is to fit a motor & gearbox (plenty in my spares box) and re-fit the wheel square and quartered

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Nice triple pack of accurascale castle cement PCAs for £45 from footplate models arrived today, says there were small pipes missing below solebar leval but I’m struggling to see anything significant on them

please with that to go with the 2 packs I’ve got on preorder from accurascale themselves 

Edited by big jim
Triple not tripe!
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Just had two or the 3 chassis I bought over the weekend, the Percy Bulldog with a compensation pack was great value, the Comet King though with a few cheap extras was nearer the retail price. Still I am happy with what I paid. And the post is getting slightly better

• Like 2

I'm thinking the bubble is slowly deflating. Has anybody noticed that prices are gradually returning to realistic levels in bidding?
There's been a few auctions recently where bids ended at about a third or a half less than similar items a couple of months ago.
Is this a sign of normality returning and the ability to rummage under tables at toyfairs and shows....?

BiN prices are still unrealistic from a few chancers though!

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Are you talking about RTR, as the items I am interested in (kit and kit built locos) still seem quite expensive where well presented and not too many real bargains about. I guess at the moment sellers have the upper hand in this part of our hobby

One item that arrived 3 days ago is a plastic bodied J50, but with a built EM gauge etched brass compensated chassis with what is described a set of Ultrascale wheels

On the face of it a good buy as a basic chassis would set you back £20 and hornblocks another £10, if they are Ultrascale wheels they are expensive if you can get them

To start off with its a very well made scratch built chassis, but with no brake gear (this could be added), after cleaning and oiling it runs very freely. The body is missing a couple of handrails and a few handrail knobs (easily resolved) and is well weighted.

The matter of it being a good buy probably rests with my ability to fit a motor and gearbox whilst preserving the integrity of the wheels that need removing and re-fitting.

• Like 1