Unusual diesel workings

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

I saw 40106 go through Brierfield towards Burnley light engine late on a Friday night in the late seventies. I have absolutely no idea what it was doing there, it wasn't long after that that the line got singled putting an end to any loco hauled trains.

Edited by 96701
  • Like 2

33057 Liverpool Street May 7th

Ah yes the last Tonbridge to Spalding, for the flower festival, Merrymaker.  Sadly 057 remained in the capital all day as 47583 took us north via the ECML.  I forget how many times I saw the Post Office Tower that day.

For flower festival trains a year earlier, May 8th 1982, two 33s could be found at Liverpool Street.  065 had worked from Tonbridge, load 11 with yours truly aboard, and 025 was up from Guildford.  The Tonbridge was re-engined with 47574 and the Guildford got 31405.  I remember hoping that the Cromptons would get switched and I'd get 025 back to Tonbridge but sadly not.  I did however scratch the March to Spalding line that day.

• Like 2

Ah yes the last Tonbridge to Spalding, for the flower festival, Merrymaker.  Sadly 057 remained in the capital all day as 47583 took us north via the ECML.  I forget how many times I saw the Post Office Tower that day.

For flower festival trains a year earlier, May 8th 1982, two 33s could be found at Liverpool Street.  065 had worked from Tonbridge, load 11 with yours truly aboard, and 025 was up from Guildford.  The Tonbridge was re-engined with 47574 and the Guildford got 31405.  I remember hoping that the Cromptons would get switched and I'd get 025 back to Tonbridge but sadly not.  I did however scratch the March to Spalding line that day.

I never knew those other two Cromptons made it to Liverpool Street. Thanks.

A final offering from me for now, how about

33010 and 50024, working in tandem, on the 12.20 Exeter St Davids to Waterloo service on 22 Jan 1983. 

A 17 minute late start from Axminster, on load 9, with 10 minutes recovered by Salisbury.  My notes don't record if the 33 continued to the capital.  What I do recall is that the 50 assisted the 33 away from stations and on uphill sections and idled elsewhere.  Boy did we fly!

To give you a bit of an idea of how well this train ran Axminster to Crewkerne was start to stop in 12 mins 7 seconds whereas a month later a solitary 33117, also on load 9, took 15 min 16 seconds

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Going to bump this, as it was an interesting thread - for those that have not seen it or for those that have memories of unusual workings.

A Class 37 deep into southern Region Territory

Class 37053 March 1982 - On the South Eastern Division of the Southern Region heading to Sheerness. I wonder if it worked all the way there?

37053 Nunhead

Photo Frank Struben - Flick R

Edited by SouthernBlue80s
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

Going to bump this, as it was an interesting thread - for those that have not seen it or for those that have memories of unusual workings.

A Class 37 deep into southern Region Territory

Class 37053 March 1982 - On the South Eastern Division of the Southern Region heading to Sheerness. I wonder if it worked all the way there?

37053 Nunhead

Photo Frank Struben - Flick R

Is that Nunhead Junction?

• RMweb Premium

clicking on the pic takes you to the Flickr post:

"37053 takes the Lewisham line at Nunhead with a train of scrap metal from Temple Mills yard near Stratford (it's home depot) to Sheerness on the Isle of Grain in Kent.

The tracks in the left background lead to Bromley South via Catford and Ravensbourne."

This post shows my age, D8225 hauling a train of wagons through Doncaster in the Up direction,  period 1969/70 the mass withdrawal of the class,  Doncaster Plant Works had probably ceased overhaul attention to the class by several years by then (does anyone know the termination date of overhaul of class 15 and 16 at Doncaster )  therefore I have 1) no idea how it came to be so far north, 2) witnessed a class 15 being  trusted to haul a train!

Edited by Pandora
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

I guess it was. It would have been quite something if it worked all the way to Sheerness. I guess we will never know.

Unless someone has a copy of the relevant working timetable... Factors would have been route and traction knowledge and whether the ER crew on the 37 would have been allocated a PNB at Hoo whilst local men took the train to Sheerness and back.

7 hours ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

I guess it was. It would have been quite something if it worked all the way to Sheerness. I guess we will never know.

The train is 6O55 0914 (FSX) Temple Mills Yd to Sheerness Steelworks, due to pass Nunhead at 10/30.  The service called at Hither Green Yd 1046 to 1239 where the ER loco was exchanged for a 73 which arrived on 6E96 0914 (FSX) Sheerness Steelworks to Temple Mills Yd which called at Hither Green Yd 1057 to 1204, this service being worked forward by the ER loco off 6O55.

• Informative/Useful 3

• 7 months later...
On 18/09/2019 at 23:02, Pandora said:

Is that Nunhead Junction?

and to add to the previous info -

The line was originally just a branch to Greenwich Park and was diverted to Lewisham as a through route in 1929.

The points under the loco were a siding that lead to the brick-built structure in the background - a "Fyffes" banana warehouse.

The turnout in the adjacent track lead to a siding that entered into the traction substation (the large brick structure) via the blocked up door - originally fitted with  a steel roller shutter - the rails are still set into the sub floor.

The flats to the LHS of the rear wagons are built on the trackbed of the branch to Crystal Palace High Level - closed 1954.

• Informative/Useful 1