Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Just seen the latest offering in Asda Great Yarmouth who have two,

Way outside the time period I model but a nice looking loco with crisp molding a nice tender which I can see some people getting for that alone but also the wheels and motion have been nicely darkened as well so as it stands it looks pretty good but as I said this is a view looking through the blister pack as I wont be getting one my self

• Like 1

Just found these on eBay which might be useful for anyone contemplating a diorama or layout. I didn't know K's did these, but they did have some obscure prototypes (There was a range of Southwold Railway models for instance). Grifone is at present financially challenged, so unfortunately has to pass on them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Keyser-Vintage-4-Wheel-Coach-Kits/251817053726?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3D16495690ddbd492eb70977c04dc1cb34%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D301513867013&rt=nc

They look very close to some of the ancient carriages that the Waterford and Tramore Railway had, especially BernardTPM's modification, which is also very close to the Director's coach on the W&TR.

I've just brought my 76xxx 'Mogul' home, having selected the better one in Asda (not that there was a great difference). The lining is a bit dim and applied slightly skew. Unfortunately the corners on the tender are square rather than radiused as they should be. I'll have to weather her a bit (to scruffy) to hide it. Not bad overall, but there is a vital bit of the valvegear missing on the LHS (the Kitmaster kit doesn't portray this at all). One of the safety valves has not been fitted correctly and leans backwards and the smokebox front has been fitted at a slight slant. Nothing too difficult to correct though

She is number 76066 with a BR1B tender. On a pedantic note, as an Southern Region loco (75B - Redhill), she should have two extra lamp (disc?) irons.

There is no update on future issues in the magazine beyond what we know already - 'Rocket', 'Britannia', 'Royal Scot', 'N' class Mogul, 'Western' and 'J39'.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

post-20378-0-40933000-1423055519_thumb.jpgpost-20378-0-18933400-1423055542_thumb.jpgpost-20378-0-15368700-1423055571_thumb.jpgpost-20378-0-73177100-1423055598_thumb.jpgpost-20378-0-81576300-1423055619_thumb.jpgpost-20378-0-70869200-1423055641_thumb.jpgpost-20378-0-17388000-1423055665_thumb.jpgpost-20378-0-80504900-1423055673_thumb.jpgpost-20378-0-23277800-1423055681_thumb.jpgpost-20378-0-55973700-1423055701_thumb.jpgAs last post, not too bad, safety valves are a bit crooked, glazing and seat back in cab not fitted correctly, tender (matt) has a different finish to the loco (glossy). Tender printing reads 'BRIB 1234' and 'Water Capacity 4125 Gallons' both well printed. Yellow seems washed out as noted above. Moulded on handrails seem very thin so should come off quite easily.

• Like 1

Just to add to the excellent pics, here is a rough and ready photo of the mogul "attached" to the more usual BR2 tender - in this case a Mainline model. Also attached is another scary photo of my ongoing K3/B17 to K4 conversion. The boiler is now joined securely and the overall length is ok. However the boiler source means a fair degree of filling is required where the splashers were attached at the boiler bottom. I also found the plastic on the B17 was incredibly soft, like cutting butter, and I suspect   I will be horrified after the first pray of primer. I thought I had a suitable chimney amongst the spares, but if so, I can't find it now. I'm also sorry to notice that the steampipe, which should be central to the smokebox, needs to be cut away and moved forward.. The tender is from the K3, which I will modify to the shorter 3500 gallon version if the body conversion goes well..It looks like a long job....

The mogul BR1b tender looks a decent model. I still have a GBL 9F so may match the tender to represent a Tyne Dock loco. Alexander Models produce excellent castings of the air pumps, etc. Just the sort of playing that I love with these cheap donors.

post-1659-0-20096100-1423060332_thumb.jpg

post-1659-0-25797900-1423060364_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I bought the sole example available at Asda Bodmin - the first of this series that I have purchased.

I had vowed not to do so - I already have an Airfix kit model running on a Tri-ang chassis, and a Bachmann RTR version.

However, I have a Kemilway chassis kit, plus wheels, gearbox and motor, which were scheduled to replace the chassis on the Airfix model. I've a feeling that these will now be donated to the GBL model !!

Detailing and minor refinements to the body should suffice, plus a repaint / relivery.

All in all, a good basis for an excellent layout loco.

Regards,

John Isherwood

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 4

An off -topic question.

This week I bought the first Devcon I've had for about three decades, and now it comes in a sort of Siamese Twin syringe format. When I push down the pushy-down part should there be equal oozing from each syringe? (the instructions were sadly chucked away before I used it). One (the clearer fluid) is producing less ooze than the slightly yellowy one, and the mix certainly didn't set in 5 minutes.

Should the ooze be equal and the squirt symmetrical?  Or is the dosage decided by the diameter?

Father I have sinned, I have been led astray from worshipping at the altar of RMWeb by listening to false prophets (or indeed by extreme pressure from my wife to finish the new kitchen, which I am hand building from best quality Finnish plywood and English oak).  But lo I have seen the light and have returned to the path of righteousness....

I have spent the past few evenings (after my servitude in the kitchen has finished) reading through this thread from beginning to end - thank you to you all for the useful information, particularly TheWeatheringMan.

My interest was stimulated when I saw three K3s in boxes (no card backing or magazine) in a shop window in Gloucester last Saturday, marked "Special offer £9.99, usual price £19.99", I thought "that looks remarkable for the price", but could not do anything as I had the monkeys in tow and the LNER is not really my thing.  A web search led here to the font of all knowledge.  These were unquestionably the GBL ones, has anyone else seen this?  Wonder if it is a way of disposing of surplus stock or the beginnings of an afterlife for the range?

I had occasion to got into Gloucester today (my old router has given up the ghost) and thought that I would see if I could manage to pick up a C Class or five.  Instead popping into the Gloucester Quays Sainsbury's I found a Class 4 mogul and another two in the Barnwood Branch, so I now have three.  I am amazed at the quality for the price (the only thing that jarrs at a first glance are the peculiar square corners to the tender lining - looks like a case for heavy weathering to me) - if one thinks about the supply chain and profit margins they must be being made for under two quid a pop - how do they do it for the price?  I now have up to two Class 4s available for swapping with C Classes if anybody would like to.         

Edited by Brake Compo

Cheers. That's what I thought, and I'll do the same. At the moment I'm squeezing from both sides of the twins and then scraping some of the gloop off with a coffee stirrer to get equal amounts. Which is silly when you've paid for the squirty parts.

....another scary photo of my ongoing K3/B17 to K4 conversion. The boiler is now joined securely and the overall length is ok. However the boiler source means a fair degree of filling is required where the splashers were attached at the boiler bottom. I also found the plastic on the B17 was incredibly soft.....

What will you do about the smokebox for the K4? I think it has a larger diameter than the boiler+cladding....

Just seen the latest offering in Asda Great Yarmouth who have two,

Way outside the time period I model 

Yeah,I guess anyone modelling Trevethick's loco on the Penydarren tramway isn't going to be too interested in "modern image"....

My interest was stimulated when I saw three K3s in boxes (no card backing or magazine) in a shop window in Gloucester last Saturday, marked "Special offer £9.99, usual price £19.99", I thought "that looks remarkable for the price", but could not do anything as I had the monkeys in tow and the LNER is not really my thing.  A web search led here to the font of all knowledge.  These were unquestionably the GBL ones, has anyone else seen this?  Wonder if it is a way of disposing of surplus stock or the beginnings of an afterlife for the range?

It's very sharp marketing given that they're normally sold for £8.99! Arkwright would have been proud!

F-f-fetch a c-cloth, G-g-granville!

Picked up the last 4MT at Eastleigh today. Generally good, but glue fogging on the cab windows  (I guess why it was left by the local predators!) - is the old Johnson's 'Klear' application still thought to be the best cure?

The windows suffer from the usual 'prismatic' effect and really call for replacement with clear plastic cut to shape (fiddlly but worth the effort). 'Klear' should work but the last fogged plastic I tried it on was only partly improved.

It's very sharp marketing given that they're normally sold for £8.99! Arkwright would have been proud!

Not sure about that - if they are sold new as models I believe that that they would then become subject to VAT at 20%.  So £8.99 becomes £10.79 with VAT.

Edited by Brake Compo

Got mine earlier I won't repeat the observations made by others. But the coal in the tender is as usual terrible but easily fixed.

Couple of questions

1. Should there not be coal in the rear half of the tender?

2. Which other 4MT locos ran with this type of tender? Any Scottish ones at all?

Not just that, but shouldn't they also have a printed statement saying that they were sold at the higher price for a minimum of 28 days, saying the dates and location if different to that shop...?

Reminds me of the "bargain price, was £30 now £20" on Underground Ernie inspection cars that some profiteer traders were trying to flog at shows when you could get them on the high street for a tenner. Wonder where their stock came from anyway...

4MT on the Purbeck Model Railway Group's Corfe Castle layout at the Stables, Godlingston Manor, Swanage. The 4MTs were maids of all work on the Swanage Railway in BR steam days. They were used on branch passenger trains, local trains, goods trains, clay trains and track cleaning trains. The large tender version was too long to be turned on the 50' turntable at Swanage. I bought the last 4MT from WH Smith at Swanage. I think they have sold out at Poole as well.

post-17621-0-01877200-1423125340_thumb.jpg

1. Should there not be coal in the rear half of the tender?

Not intentionally - my understanding is that the large tender was used to give adequate water capacity on the SR.

The coal space dividing plate was there to reduce the coal load and save the fireman having to pull coal forward, but some would inevitably have fallen into the rear part during coaling.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

Picked up the last 4MT at Eastleigh today. Generally good, but glue fogging on the cab windows  (I guess why it was left by the local predators!) - is the old Johnson's 'Klear' application still thought to be the best cure?

A 'polish' with 'Brasso' first will help but don't forget to clean it thoroughly first before applying Johnson's Klear.

The windows suffer from the usual 'prismatic' effect and really call for replacement with clear plastic cut to shape (fiddlly but worth the effort). 'Klear' should work but the last fogged plastic I tried it on was only partly improved.

A 'polish' with 'Brasso' first will help but don't forget to clean it thoroughly first before applying Johnson's Klear.

Thanks for the tips chaps. I'll have a go with 'Brasso' and 'Klear' later today in the first instance I think. Cutting neat replacement clear windows will be a bit of a challenge!