The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, peanuts said:

does this count as a old car or a modern classic as theres not many left now

Since it's lasted (well, too) for nearly twice the life span of the average car - yes.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, peanuts said:

20170716_153613.jpg

Now there is one serious fun car, 150bhp and a chassis that handled it extremely well. From the days before electronically controlled diffs intervened to sedate it, they had pretty vicious torque steer which took a bit of mastering (extremely entertaining in the wet!) but on the whole it was their only real vice. My flirtation with one began when I’d taken my Mk1 GTE in for service. A Monaco blue one had just arrived from another dealer in an exchange and been run straight into the showroom for preparation. The salesman smelt blood and a quick run along the A47 gave him all the ammunition he needed. Half an hour of pretty feeble haggling and it was mine.

I had it four years and only let it go when it proved impossible to keep it secure, stolen twice and three more attempts finally convinced me it was no better than having a car that was unreliable, you just couldn’t rely on it being where you’d left it when you returned. One of the few cars I regretted selling, it was a real gem in an era when Vauxhall could compete against the fast Fords, VWs and even the legendary Lancia Delta Integrale.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Porkscratching said:

I like the Tudor space ship in the middle of the high street... One of Mr Da Vinci's more successful designs..?

And it's still waiting take off clearance .

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.1847598,-3.4442723,3a,75y,185.87h,97.84t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sBMc9w4Qn2hl2rnP4Mlzqcg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Like 1

On 10/05/2019 at 16:49, peanuts said:

20170716_153613.jpg

I had one (in white, just like the photo - H330GND) as a company car in 1990/91. Probably the favourite car of my Vauxhall career. The engine was an absolute delight, massively overpowered for a car that size and as RANGERS says, vicious torque steer which made for an entertaining and involving drive. The knowledge that you could lose the car if you weren't careful just added to the experience. 

Unlike many, it survived a couple of theft attempts. No mean feat when you consider it was street parked in one of Luton's less desirable areas (there are desirable ones before anyone comments).

I almost shed a tear when I handed it back and I would love to drive one again.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Despite my mini not being considered a ‘classic’ I’m certainly having to delve into my pocket like a classic car owner 

the red convertible is getting the planned work of brakes and shocks (and possibly wheel bearing) done this month but on top of that yesterday I discovered cooper has a blowing exhaust, the weld has gone on one of the seams on the rear pipe so I’m going to need a new exhaust, I’ve done a temporary fix with some gun gum paste and bandage which should see me through the next few weeks until payday then I’m going to get a stainless system for it 

ive also priced up having the wheels refurbished on Both cars and that will cost me £65 a wheel, acid stripped, rough bits welded and ground/blended in, powder coated and lacquered, just going to get one set done for now for the cooper (sprayed black) and run the convertible on its original 15’ rims until I can get the 2nd set sprayed white 

• Like 3