Washout at Dawlish

• RMweb Gold

I don't know about previous excursions to Okehampton. I didn't realise from the accommodation quoted that it was going to be an HST, though one is shown on the Okerail website. Do GWR HSTs have a Pullman coach?

And now sold out.

Jonathan

Not a specific coach as such but GWR provide a Pullman standard restaurant service on some 'business' trains.

The fact it's sold out already shows the demand for trains.

• RMweb Gold

Not a specific coach as such but GWR provide a Pullman standard restaurant service on some 'business' trains.

The fact it's sold out already shows the demand for trains.

I think the sell out (of all the train?) is probably partly indicative of the novelty - I somehow doubt a regular daily working from Okehampton in these times would fill to capacity but it does show there is interest.

GWR's Pullman dining is very good although I've only sampled the breakfast/brunch but it is quite pricey, the previous 'Travelling Chef' meals, especially breakfast, were considerably cheaper but offered fewer courses although the overall quality was no different.  I understand the dinner service on the Down 'Golden Hind' is regularly booked to capacity with, very often, a waiting list of folk hoping that someone will cancel. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Can't let a thread on Dawlish to pass without comment on the latest gossip concerning the bypass situation, especially as Okehampton was mentioned!

Brian.

Brian

I have not heard a thing since the last media mutterings, I think that I can safely say that a bypass will slowly slip into oblivion until the next long term seawall closure.

There has been Spotlight coverage of the government spending a few bob tarting up Plymouth Station though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There has been Spotlight coverage of the government spending a few bob tarting up Plymouth Station though.

Probably to try and stop 150s running into HSTs

Dons tin hat and runs for cover.

• RMweb Premium

Or a 'Royal' is due to visit?

P

You'd be able to check that by seeing how many awning pillars have been painted.  At Wakefield Westgate it was three on the Up platform where HM would get off the train.  The others had to wait a few years.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

The latest Rail has an article about how the 802's are being modified compared to the voyagers for operating on the Sea Wall.  Two areas have had attention.  One is the brake resistors which on the voyagers sit in a well which fills up with sea water and then shorts out and the other is the exhausts which apparently get seawater down them.  On the 802's the brake resistors are mounted on a flat area of the roof and a little way above it with good insulation all round.  Also care has been taken to ensure that nothing electrical is connected to the exhausts so that they don't cause a problem.   Only time and a high tide will tell. There is a photo of the new style resistor grids.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

• RMweb Gold

The latest Rail has an article about how the 802's are being modified compared to the voyagers for operating on the Sea Wall.  Two areas have had attention.  One is the brake resistors which on the voyagers sit in a well which fills up with sea water and then shorts out and the other is the exhausts which apparently get seawater down them.  On the 802's the brake resistors are mounted on a flat area of the roof and a little way above it with good insulation all round.  Also care has been taken to ensure that nothing electrical is connected to the exhausts so that they don't cause a problem.   Only time and a high tide will tell. There is a photo of the new style resistor grids.

Jamie

One of the problems identified early on during 'Operation Princess' was the fact that the electrical gear was so close to the exhausts, that it was getting coated with carbon deposits, which was what was shorting out when introduced to the rather common salt water that tends to loiter around our coasts.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-devon-39367679

Scant details of improvements to the Exeter > Waterloo line.

At 08.02 halfway down page.

P.S      Additional info......http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39403162

P.P.S. Andrew Roden of 'Rail' Magazine (who lives locally) reckons that there will be little in it beyond Salisbury for us down here apart from some small improvements and some stock movement. Yet another spun 'announcement' it would appear. No doubt there will be more about it on BBC 'Spotlight' tonight.

P.P.P.S.. He's further said that to his disappointment there's nothing about increasing line speed or creating more passing loops so here we go again with the government not giving a toss about the southwest area railways. SW trains are said to be 'disappointed' at losing the franchise. That would be putting it mildly l would have thought.

Edited by Re6/6

• 3 months later...

The camping coaches at Dawlish Warren have been renovated, upgraded etc. but  the owners are having problems proving that the site has been in operation for years. they are appealing for anyone who stayed there especially in 2014  to contact them with proof of holiday there, see their page      https://www.facebook.com/brunelholidaypark/?hc_ref=ARSXYMTAkPGpIupFBPuQPIsVNXY4qz9J-LYWUM3BY6L9kGEYqh-mepTaJefdQ3fbjWg                 remember a member of this forum staying there as I visited him there while he was on Holiday, but I cant remember when,  It was while I was contributing photos of the seawall washout on this thread

Edited by Granitechops
  • Like 6

The camping coaches at Dawlish Warren have been renovated, upgraded etc. but  the owners are having problems proving that the site has been in operation for years. they are appealing for anyone who stayed there especially in 2014  to contact them with proof of holiday there, see their page      https://www.facebook.com/brunelholidaypark/?hc_ref=ARSXYMTAkPGpIupFBPuQPIsVNXY4qz9J-LYWUM3BY6L9kGEYqh-mepTaJefdQ3fbjWg                 remember a member of this forum staying there as I visited him there while he was on Holiday, but I cant remember when,  It was while I was contributing photos of the seawall washout on this thread

Hello Granitchops,  It was me, we met at Dawlish Warren while I was staying at the Camping coaches. How are you keeping?. I had not realised that the camping coaches were being renovated, I thought that they had been closed for ever. Very pleased to hear otherwise. I will contact them, but I am not sure what proof I have of staying there. That was my third time of staying in the coaches, originally with the children and then with the grandchildren.

Best regards,  Keith.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Presumablyy the owners will have records of payments received by those who stayed, with dates. And if the owner has changed than those who stayed will have bank statements and cheque book stubs or other reecords of payments made.

Jonathan

• RMweb Premium

Presumablyy the owners will have records of payments received by those who stayed, with dates. And if the owner has changed than those who stayed will have bank statements and cheque book stubs or other reecords of payments made.

Jonathan

I am quite sure that if push came to shove some sort of affidavit by holiday tenants along with supporting evidence such as bank statements and holiday snaps would suffice in planning proceedings.

Jamie

I am quite sure that if push came to shove some sort of affidavit by holiday tenants along with supporting evidence such as bank statements and holiday snaps would suffice in planning proceedings.Jamie

Would require a few statutory declarations confirming occupation in the 2014 season to confirm occupation.

If it is a planning issue the test for a certificate of lawfulness is 'on the balance of probabilities' not, as in criminal law 'beyond all reasonable doubt'.

Kind regards

Matt Wood

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Jonathan

The new owners have stated several times that the previous owner not only destroyed ALL their records relating to previous bookings but they have also refused to answer ANY correspondence from the new owners.

The impression is very much they deliberately want to sabotage any attempts by the new owner to keep the business going.

Hard to believe the Local Planning Authority has a fundamental problem in principle with these. Maybe the site is there with the benefit of a temporary permission and it just requires renewing - to avoid a breach of condition...

The site looks tidier than it has for years....and there is some right sh*te in Dawlish Warren....I'm sure the LPA just want a situation regularised.

Best regards

Matt W

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The new owners have stated several times that the previous owner not only destroyed ALL their records relating to previous bookings but they have also refused to answer ANY correspondence from the new owners.

The impression is very much they deliberately want to sabotage any attempts by the new owner to keep the business going.

Was there a third party involved in ownership between the BRSA and the present owner, and are the Council seeking proof of continuous use rather than simply establishing how long it is since the 1982 conversions came into use as camping coaches?  Or are they asking what has happened since BR stopped commercial camping coach activity at the site in 1964 and handed the then vehicles over to the BRSA?  Loads of information on the 'net of course plus plenty of old adverts for the BR period pre-1964.

So maybe somebody needs to ask the Council exactly what it does want because it does seem rather confused on the Farcebook page with requests for 2014 (or is that simply the year they haven't got info for?)

• Like 1

Had a reply from Brunel Holiday park, Quote  "

Just to clarify for the 'Stationmaster', we have applied for a continuation of use, and have to prove use for the last 10 years. Have managed to get sworn affidavits from some wonderful past guests, but the council say we need more evidence re 2014. Hence the Facebook plea, which seems to have come good 1f60a.png. It's all so nonsensical to use, we just want to save the trains and bring them back to life - might have been easier to apply for a lap dancing club and a block of flats 1f609.pngThanks for your help, Abby and all at Brunel 1f682.png

Chat conversation end

Type a message...
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well, this all happened four years ago last night. Where has the time gone?

Here are three reminders of the aftermath, a couple featuring our own good CK!

post-6728-0-05165600-1517820008_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-03171600-1517819839_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-57003800-1517820172_thumb.jpg

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Just come back to this thread

Regarding the problems with the Camping Coaches (Is it resolved?):

Maybe the previous owner would like a visit from HMRC as you are required to keep business correspondence for 6 years in case inspection is required.

Claiming you had destroyed it all would not go down well.

Keith

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Here we go again. https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/dawlish-sea-wall-damaged-storm-1285826

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/government-offers-no-miracle-cure-1277575 I vividly recall the fishy-named Secretary of State stating to camera that there would be a £2B sum of money available to ensure 'resilience' of the line at Dawlish. Also the previous Prime Minister stated to camera on site that 'whatever it will take' will be done to assure the future of the line.

All political windbaggery.

Edited by Re6/6