Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Teesside photo’s. They are full of interest, and again it’s possible blue to compare the class 101 and class 143 units. I know which I prefer...

In C8202, at Thornaby with 20173 and 20174 light engines on the 21st February, 1987, Iits a great shot of those two 20’s, and I also thought I had a photo’ of 20173 which I took at Scarborough later that year in July, but cannot yet find it. It’s in my East Yorkshire Railways thread. I’ll continue to look for it.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

C8201 the unusual blue bogie tank wagon appears to be Hays (painted out) sulphuric acid, as at https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/stssulphuricacid

Or yet to be painted. The actual wagon on Paul's site shows it at a later date marked 'Hays'.

Now throw a mixture of tankers like that on your layout and wait for the cries of 'unprototypical'.....

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was right... Here’s the two photo’s of the special train hauled by two 20’s including 20173 that I took in July, 1987. They are on page two of my E. York’s thread, but for ease, I have reproductive them here, hoping that Dave has no objections. I can soon remove them if requested.

post-22631-0-81256700-1545341841_thumb.jpeg

post-22631-0-73535200-1545342008_thumb.png

Best regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
  • Like 11

Intersting that the unit in J6718 has its headlights on yet is also sporting a tail lamp. A bit of a faux pas by someone!

It actually has two tail lamps on the front/back. One looks to be propped up on the other tail lamp and the buffer. Someones forgotten to turn the marker lamps off, unless its making a shunt move, as the propped up tail lamp doesn't look as if it would get far without falling off.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Nottingham photo’s which are full of interest and intrigue too. In the first photo’ of the view from GER saloon number 1, with classes 45 and 47 on view, on the far right is part of a class 114 DMBS. You can tell from the lower windows, compared to a class 108, and the larger radiator. Of course, in March, 1974, it is also not refurbished.

I’m sure that PaulJ is absolutely right about the Swindon Cross Country unit in J6718. It has to be a shunting move as the Cravens set comes into the station. The tail lamp would soon drop off at a full 70 mph with the unit rocking and rolling in the way they did on those single bolster bogies.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Intersting that the unit in J6718 has its headlights on yet is also sporting a tail lamp. A bit of a faux pas by someone!

It actually has two tail lamps on the front/back. One looks to be propped up on the other tail lamp and the buffer. Someones forgotten to turn the marker lamps off, unless its making a shunt move, as the propped up tail lamp doesn't look as if it would get far without falling off.

Paul J.

It looks to me as though it is running into the station from the east as there is a driver in the near cab, the destination indicator says Crewe, the exhaust is generally drifting away from the camera and the Cravens unit in the background is likely to be the one arriving in the next shot.  My guess is that it probably originated in the car sidings east of the station and the tail lamp situation will be regularised when it stops in the station :derisive:

Edited by DY444

I’m sure that PaulJ is absolutely right about the Swindon Cross Country unit in J6718. It has to be a shunting move as the Cravens set comes into the station.

...  My guess is that it probably originated in the car sidings east of the station and the tail lamp situation will be regularised when it stops in the station :derisive:

That must be the case.  I only ever remember seeing the 120s as 3-car units on the Lincoln-Crewe service, never as a 6.  I could (just - when I could get away with it) see the line from school, so I did get to see pretty much all the day's services...

J6698, the GN bridge and viaducts have been completely erased from the landscape, as have all the buildings nearby, and the MR bridge is being replaced in a possession over Christmas. There's been a lot of preparatory work going on for the last few weeks.

Only thing remaining from that photo will be the London Road bridge and canal.

Edited by great central

J6698, the GN bridge and viaducts have been completely erased from the landscape, as have all the buildings nearby, and the MR bridge is being replaced in a possession over Christmas. There's been a lot of preparatory work going on for the last few weeks.

Only thing remaining from that photo will be the London Road bridge and canal.

For the 1970s that canal looks remarkably clean and rubbish/shopping trolley free... :)

• RMweb Gold

That must be the case.  I only ever remember seeing the 120s as 3-car units on the Lincoln-Crewe service, never as a 6.  I could (just - when I could get away with it) see the line from school, so I did get to see pretty much all the day's services...

So, two trains coming in as one to be split, hence 2 tail lamps?

• RMweb Gold

For the 1970s that canal looks remarkably clean and rubbish/shopping trolley free... :)

I travelled up and down that canal many times in the 60s and it was quite well kept even then.

David

• RMweb Gold

C6577 shows the site of the former Heaton Station; the Down platform is visible behind the power car.

C6027; the Ponteland branch ran as far as Black Callerton at the time, and short trains of explosives would run to the ICI depot there.

I'd forgotten about the explosives traffic, thanks for reminding me.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s going north from Newcastle. All are most interesting and full,of nostalgia. In C13919, at Heaton Depot on the 20th January, 1990, the CCT is, unless I’m mistaken, a GUV. At the time of the photo’ in Royal Mail livery, it was classified as NIX.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

C6577 is an interesting shot of a cl.254 twin-dining set - the TRUK and TRSB are together as was the norm at this time, but coupled kitchen to buffet instead of saloon to saloon. I don't think I've seen that before, presumably a further development of trying to keep the TRUK seats to diners only? (i.e. it would be easier to steward the dining seats if they were 'separated' from the rest of the train)

Edited by keefer

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s going north from Newcastle. All are most interesting and full,of nostalgia. In C13919, at Heaton Depot on the 20th January, 1990, the CCT is, unless I’m mistaken, a GUV. At the time of the photo’ in Royal Mail livery, it was classified as NIX.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Rob,

It is a GUV, I did know that but wasn't thinking while I was typing (yet again).

Dvid