Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

is it just me or does it look like the second man in the 47 in J4181 is taking a picture out the windscreen directly back at you?

It does look as though he is holding a camera.  It is one of Dad's photos, he often took photos at the station as he lived only a few minutes walk away so the crews probably recognised him.

I have quite often been photographed by loco crews over the years, again at locations I often visited.

David

• RMweb Premium

Another set of very nice photos Dave, thanks for sharing. I'll start the ball rolling re identification of the 47s, in J4181 I think it is 1724, and recently 'out shopped' by the look of it.

Sorry but not 1724, which was converted to ETH and outshopped as 47549 in March 1975, the same month the photo was taken. It looks to me like 47214, which number the loco received in Feb 74.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry but not 1724, which was converted to ETH and outshopped as 47549 in March 1975, the same month the photo was taken. It looks to me like 47214, which number the loco received in Feb 74.

Thanks "brushman". I just enlarged the photo and saw a 7, 2 and a 4 and took a guess without doing any other research. Obviously I need to forget about guess work and leave identifications to the more knowledgeable folk on the forum.

• RMweb Gold

Morning.

Is the black 5 in J5492 not 45407? Has plain coupling rods. 44781 had fluted.

cheers

Thanks.  I've no idea how I got it wrong, Dad's notes clearly state 45407.  

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. What a lovely set of Scottish photo’s which are as scenic as always. In C11801, at Crianlarich Lower, looking east on the 29th March, 1989, that mountain really towers over the railway. Such an imposing sight. Good to see the yard at Crianlarich Lower in C11802. It is a view that will be useful for someone making a model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Morpeth photo’s which bring back so many memories. The first one is a reminder of a most cold and snowy December which led to a rare white Christmas. In C6530, with class 43, 43028, leading a HST, on an up service, on the 16th June, 1984, that is a good summery view and it also shows the even with the smoke deflectors on the class 43 power cars, exhaust fumes were still quite a problem.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I love the Great Central Railway photo’s. They are full of interest, and I’m particularly interested in C5996, at Loughborough Central with the GCR Barnum carriage which I think is a third class open. I hope it has survived, and has got restored after all these years. Perhaps someone can give out the information.

The Great Western photo’s are fascinating, and it’s great to see the line from the CR saloon at Moreton on Lugg in April 1974, in J3638. The HSTs in the last two photo’s, as always, look so good in the original blue, grey and yellow livery.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

In the M-O-L shot, the saloon has just past Moretons Up Starter/section signal, which was a colour light, the back of which can be seen. The Driver  and Fireman up front would be looking for the flagman on Wellington barriers, which were just ahead. The interesting thing about single line working in the wrong direction over the Down between Moreton-on-Lugg and the next box, Fords Bridge, was the maximum load a train was permitted, was different than if the single line working was over the right direction on the Up line. This was because the gradient through Dinmore Tunnel was steeper on the Down line than the Up line. This can be seen by the difference in heights of the two tunnel portals, there being two single line tunnels, at either end. The Down line is the original tunnel, and when they built the Up line tunnel at a later date, it was built on an easier gradient, for the northbound coal trains from South Wales. That is why the two bridges over the River Lugg at Dinmore are also a two different levels. The difference in the gradients on the two lines is between 42m 55ch and 44m 50ch, with the Up line rising at 1 in 135, except for a short stretch of 1 in 260 throught the site of the old station, whereas the down line is falling at 1 in 100 from the north portal of Dinmore Tunnel to 44m 10ch, when it eases to 1 in 200 for the remaining half mile. The view below is taken approaching the bridges over the River Lugg at Dinmore, and shown the difference in height between the Up line, where the photo was taken from, and the Down line, on the right.

attachicon.gifEBR1-011.jpg

The next shot is the southern portals of Dinmore Tunnel, with the class 46 on the down line.

attachicon.gifJC1-020.jpg

The last shot is the North portal, with the 47 on the Up line, which is now lower than the Down line.

9733229688_15288ddd03_b.jpgClass 47 leaving Dinmore tunnel nortbound 12.78 by Jeffrey Lloyd, on Flickr

Paul J.

Paul,

Thank you very much for the information, I didn't know it before.

David

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I love the latest Harrogate photo’s. All so nostalgic. The first one is not quite what it would appear to be. It is a class 104, but it’s an LMR triplet, not an NER quad. There’s no luggage rack opposite the toilet in the leading DMCL, and the second car is a TCL rather than a TSL. There is exhaust emitting from exhaust pipes at the rear of the third car, thus making it a DMBS rather than a TBSL. The NER of BR had no triplets, just a handful of twins and a good number of quads. I guess that it would be an inter regional service in the way the Calder Valley class 110’s would be seen working on too.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Hi David,

Enjoyed the further selection of Harrogate photos. 

However I don't think J468 is the White Rose, as that train only ran from Leeds/Bradford, and wasn't a Pullman train.

More likely to be the Yorkshire Pullman, or if the photo was taken on a Sunday, then the Harrogate Sunday Pullman.

Regards,

Kevin

Edited by Suddaby

• RMweb Gold

Hi David,

Enjoyed the further selection of Harrogate photos. 

However I don't think J468 is the White Rose, as that train only ran from Leeds/Bradford, and wasn't a Pullman train.

More likely to be the Yorkshire Pullman, or if the photo was taken on a Sunday, then the Harrogate Sunday Pullman.

Regards,

Kevin

Kevin,

You are correct in that for much of it's life the White Rose was not a Pullman train.

However from the June timetable change in 1964 until 1967 it was a Pullman train, replacing the Queen of Scots and using the stock from that train.

In April 1966 it left Harrogate at 16.00 on Saturdays (which is when I think Dad took the photo), using the headcode 1E14 as seen in the photo (info on times and headcode from "The Napier Chronicles" website).

At Leeds it was joined by the portion which had left Bradford at 16.10 for the journey to London.

David

• Like 1

East Coast Main Line again today, this time at Little Bytham between 1970 and 1972.

Both Dad and I rarely went there to take photos, I can't remember why at this distance in time.

attachicon.gifLittle Bytham Class 47 up Sept 70 J2385.jpg

Little Bytham Class 47 up Sept 70 J2385

attachicon.gifLittle Bytham Class 47 up March 71 J2530.jpg

Little Bytham Class 47 up March 71 J2530

attachicon.gifLittle Bytham Class 47 1872 down May 71 J2667.jpg

Little Bytham Class 47 1872 down May 71 J2667

attachicon.gifLittle Bytham Class 55 up July 72 J2966.jpg

Little Bytham Class 55 up July 72 J2966

attachicon.gifLittle Bytham Class 47 Kings X to Newcastle July 72 J2967.jpg

Little Bytham Class 47 Kings X to Newcastle July 72 J2967

David

Another nice set of ECML in the early 70's David. Thank you for sharing with us. The 47 in the 1st photo is one of the Westinghouse, 1500-1519 Generator ones, although which number I'm unable to tell.

Paul J.