Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the ECML photo’s going north from Darlington to Newcastle. The first one is a good photo’ of Darlington with 08867 Ralph Easby, and 37003 on the 21st February, 1987. The 08 was looking most smart. In C2956, at Croxdale with a class 40 on a down parcels train, on the 5th August, 1976, you can see the effects of that long hot summer if that’s supposed to be grass in the foreground.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks once again Dave for sharing your snap-shots of railway history. Not least C5828, which shows on the far left, the tallest railway stucture in the area at nearly twice the height of the lighting towers is the microwave tower (yeah, another rare shout for Telecoms!). Why so tall? Believe it or not, Tyne Yard is in a bit of a hole - from a microwave "line-of-sight" perspective at least, and the microwave dish at the top of the tower needed to "see" a corresponding dish on another tower at Ferryhill. The original microwave link was from York to Newcastle (Tyne Yard) in 1959, and upgraded and extended to Tweedmouth in the late 80s early 90s. At this time the microwave tower at Tyne Yard became redundant but I'm not sure how long it lasted before it was demolished.

Edited by iands

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks once again Dave for sharing you snap-shots of railway history. Not least C5828, which shows on the far left, the tallest railway stucture in the area at nearly twice the height of the lighting towers is the microwave tower (yeah, another rare shout for Telecoms!). Why so tall? Believe it or not, Tyne Yard is in a bit of a hole - from a microwave "line-of-sight" perspective at least, and the microwave dish at the top of the tower needed to "see" a corresponding dish on another tower at Ferryhill. The original microwave link was from York to Newcastle (Tyne Yard) in 1959, and upgraded and extended to Tweedmouth in the late 80s early 90s. At this time the microwave tower at Tyne Yard became redundant but I'm not sure how long it lasted before it was demolished.

The white heat of technology from BR(NE) .

There really were some very groundbreaking projects taking place within the railway at that time

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks once again Dave for sharing your snap-shots of railway history. Not least C5828, which shows on the far left, the tallest railway stucture in the area at nearly twice the height of the lighting towers is the microwave tower (yeah, another rare shout for Telecoms!). Why so tall? Believe it or not, Tyne Yard is in a bit of a hole - from a microwave "line-of-sight" perspective at least, and the microwave dish at the top of the tower needed to "see" a corresponding dish on another tower at Ferryhill. The original microwave link was from York to Newcastle (Tyne Yard) in 1959, and upgraded and extended to Tweedmouth in the late 80s early 90s. At this time the microwave tower at Tyne Yard became redundant but I'm not sure how long it lasted before it was demolished.

It was still there in mid 2006 when I took this photo. Comparing the contents of the yard though, C5828 shows a great variety of stock, including 4 snow ploughs, whereas by 2006 the yard is full of redundant vehicles, both locos and stock.

post-29514-0-72600300-1546985467_thumb.jpg

Hope Dave doesn't mind me adding this one....

Dave.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Love the line up of redundant signalling loc's in C8423. A touch of realism that is hardly ever depicted on a model layout, probably to avoid attracting "flak" from the "wise one's" that would opine that "that would never happen".

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Glasgow and South Western photo’s. Being photographed from a train enables views you would almost certainly not otherwise obtain. In C8434, at Barrhill on the 9th May, 1987, the box on the platform is so small. It can’t have been much bigger than a ground frame - I know it wasn’t.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

It was still there in mid 2006 when I took this photo. Comparing the contents of the yard though, C5828 shows a great variety of stock, including 4 snow ploughs, whereas by 2006 the yard is full of redundant vehicles, both locos and stock.

attachicon.gif66120.JPG

Hope Dave doesn't mind me adding this one....

Dave.

Looking at local Google Street Views (You can see it for miles around) it was still there May 2012 but I can't find it afterwards

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Great Western photo’s, which are full of interest. I particularly like the first one at Fenny Compton with Castle class, 7029 Clun Castle, on a Birningham to Didcot Celebration Steam special train, in June, 1972. The engine was giving out good steam and smoke effects in the wet weather.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Hi, Dave. I like the Glasgow and South Western photo’s. Being photographed from a train enables views you would almost certainly not otherwise obtain. In C8434, at Barrhill on the 9th May, 1987, the box on the platform is so small. It can’t have been much bigger than a ground frame - I know it wasn’t.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

It’s still there and in use! It came from Portpatrick to replace the original which was destroyed in a fire. The line is still operated by tablet and semaphore signals.

Regrettably the Stranraer line sees very little passenger traffic since the Irish Ferries left Stranraer and moved to the non rail connected Cairnryan port. Non car using passengers get bussed from Ayr station.

Stranraer still has a good service but it is very poorly patronised.

Ian.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s of York, which, as always, are most fascinating and so very nostalgic. In C7864, with 45128 on a down service to Scarborough, on the 3rd August, 1986, it can be seen that the first carriage is a de classified Mk1 FO. It’s interesting to see a class 120 twin set on that parcels train in the last photo’. I cannot recall seeing many of those except the Cravens and class 114 Derby Heavyweights on those workings.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. What a great set of Blyth and Tyne photo’s with, in the first one, 56133, at Freemans Crossing on the 16th April, 1985, looking quite splendid in large logo blue.

I like C8239, at North Blyth with 37212 on a Lynemouth to Alcan North Blyth working, on the 22nd December, 1986. The locomotive makes a fine sight in the low sun.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

You've gone to extremes of steam traction there, Dave. 6443 was a wonderful little engine: you could fire her with a teaspoon and she'd steam! I passed for firing on her in 1970. As for Gordon and 193: I dreaded both of them. you could not get Gordon into steam from cold and it had more dials and levers than a Jumbo Jet, while 193 was just downright horrible to work over a nine mile round trip.

• Like 3

Since you asked...

J6905 looks more like a pair of 2-HAP (Cl 414: angled rain strips on the front one and a small headcode box indicating the last batch of them. Would also fit with the Victoria/Gillingham 92 headcode.

J6906 is a pair of 4-VEP (Cl 423)

The bridge they're both crossing is known locally as the "Luton Arches", across the bottom of the A2 Chatham Hill and the Luton Road. These days you can see trains to "the other Luton" there via Thameslink.

Edited by eastwestdivide